Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine identification label

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montymech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine identification label
    Posted: 09 Oct. 2016 at 12:28pm
This is the label fitted below the distributor on my 3A's engine. Any clues as to the engine's origin?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2016 at 12:52pm
Kaiser supersonic...

Think early 50's Kaiser Henry J sedan, and afterwards surplus engines sold through sears. The number on the tag should match the ESN on the waterpump boss.

The block is essentially standard fare, the bolt ons originally would have been slightly different (intake and carb, vac advance distributor, supersonic head, thermostat housing...)

Mine is 3532992

Edited by mbullism - 09 Oct. 2016 at 1:26pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
montymech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montymech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2016 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Kaiser supersonic...

Think early 50's Kaiser Henry J sedan, and afterwards surplus engines sold through sears. The number on the tag should match the ESN on the waterpump boss.

The block is essentially standard fare, the bolt ons originally would have been slightly different (intake and carb, vac advance distributor, supersonic head, thermostat housing...)

Mine is 3532992

Thanks for that. The numbers are the same. As a Brit' I had absolutely no knowledge of the Henry J vehicles and guessed the name read Anderson!  Now I know why my throttle linkage is cobbled together.
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2016 at 6:38pm
Just install the correct intake manifold ( MB/GPW,CJ-2A,3A,M-38) they will all work, a Carter W.O Carb and you will be good to go.
willys jeep
montymech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montymech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2016 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by autolite autolite wrote:

Just install the correct intake manifold ( MB/GPW,CJ-2A,3A,M-38) they will all work, a Carter W.O Carb and you will be good to go.

This is the set up at present. What have I got?
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2016 at 7:32pm
That is a Solex.

People love them or hate them.

I don't have positive experience with them.
montymech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montymech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2016 at 7:50pm
A Solex carb' on a CJ manifold ?
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct. 2016 at 11:00pm
Look at the first pic in Leecarr's thread... he has a kaiser manifold with the carb studs 90 degrees out... your willys manifold simplifies things...imo

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/throttle-linkage_topic38682.html

In other salad news, that unribbed head on your SS block is much earlier than the block...

Edited by mbullism - 09 Oct. 2016 at 11:07pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2016 at 12:59pm
The solex carb is picky about too much fuel pressure, and the one on my  VW beetle had a gross jet primary inlet valve that uses ball bearings to seal/seat. Any, and I mean any dirt, it will give you grief. Roll to a stop from 70 MPH type of fit!!!!!!!!!! Once every 2 or 3 months. That one took a while to figure out. Those balls would stick closed. Ever remove the top of your carb on the interstate in 30 degree weather? Wink
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2016 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

The solex carb is picky about too much fuel pressure, and the one on my  VW beetle had a gross jet primary inlet valve that uses ball bearings to seal/seat. Any, and I mean any dirt, it will give you grief. Roll to a stop from 70 MPH type of fit!!!!!!!!!! Once every 2 or 3 months. That one took a while to figure out. Those balls would stick closed. Ever remove the top of your carb on the interstate in 30 degree weather? Wink

IME, Whack the side of that Solex with the handle of a large screwdriver. That almost always dislodged the crud and let the fuel flow freely. One time I had to whack it twice, but that was in -5 degrees Fahrenheit weather in Northern B.C.  That time it might have been ice & not crud stopping the flow of fuel.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.

PS. IMHO, I like the Carter better than the Solex.
old stuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old stuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2016 at 2:46am
Kaiser Supersonic L134 block from a HENRY J, with maybe a GPW head.  I've found other sources stating that in late '50/early '51 WILLYS built L134 engines for Kaiser HENRY J started at sn 3,500,000.  I have two of them, sn 3,544,499 and sn 3,544,609.  Both of them have a GPW head.  As stated the sn on the tag matches the sn on the w/p boss.  The HENRY J L134 engine produced about 5 more hp with the KAISER SUPERSONIC head than a std WILLYS engine used in CJ's.  They also built 6 cyl for HENRY J starting at sn 3,000,000.

Edited by old stuff - 17 Nov. 2016 at 2:52am
montymech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montymech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2016 at 11:12am
Originally posted by old stuff old stuff wrote:

Kaiser Supersonic L134 block from a HENRY J, with maybe a GPW head.  I've found other sources stating that in late '50/early '51 WILLYS built L134 engines for Kaiser HENRY J started at sn 3,500,000.  I have two of them, sn 3,544,499 and sn 3,544,609.  Both of them have a GPW head.  As stated the sn on the tag matches the sn on the w/p boss.  The HENRY J L134 engine produced about 5 more hp with the KAISER SUPERSONIC head than a std WILLYS engine used in CJ's.  They also built 6 cyl for HENRY J starting at sn 3,000,000.
 Interesting; the head shown in my original post has  GPW cast on the top surface under the filter bracket.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2016 at 11:40am
The 8 total extra hp of the supersonic was largely just the planed head to raise compression slightly in concert with a slightly larger cfm manifold/carb setup... there is nothing magic about planing a "standard" willys head, and I think most peeps search out the supersonic head more as jewelry than hot rod performance. That said, my SS block and head are getting swapped for an RMC setup... I hope the RMC doesn't feel like a dog in comparison
old stuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old stuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2016 at 1:49am
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

That said, my SS block and head are getting swapped for an RMC setup... I hope the RMC doesn't feel like a dog in comparison
That's what I ultimately want to do for  my M38--trade the HJ SS  block and head for the correct MC WILLYS block and head.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2016 at 12:18pm
truth be told, I'm swapping one misfit for another.  My '46 came to me with the Kaiser setup in it, and it runs "o.k", but the tranny pops out of second... sourcing a trans to rebuild for a quick swap came with a transfer case, so I did that as well... I half stumbled onto the RMC engine in a junkyard generator, and everything measured out so well I then sourced the correct casting head and sealed bell housing for it and plan to run it awhile.  Classic scope creep, lol.  The current plan is to swap all three as a unit, then rebuilt the "original" stuff...  I'm still/always looking for a good deal, so if a "J" engine comes along I may switch gears again, but ultimately I'll have an extra engine/trans/TC looking for a home with a title, lol.  Would be nice to find an M38 looking for a heart-

Edited by mbullism - 24 Nov. 2016 at 12:49pm
old stuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old stuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2016 at 1:42pm
Interesting.  I'd like to PM you but I don't see the place to do that.  Could you send me a PM? TKS
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2016 at 2:29pm
Click on his username and it will give you a drop down window with the PM option.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
old stuff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote old stuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov. 2016 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Click on his username and it will give you a drop down window with the PM option.
Thanks, I overlooked that.  Happy Thanksgiving from Southwest Alabama.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>