Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

engine paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine paint
    Posted: 19 Apr. 2018 at 10:45pm
Hello folks! I am kinda new here. Had my jeep for several years, however, recenly retired and am going to get cracking on her. I just took the motor out of my '47 2a (96661) and would like to clean it up and maybe paint it. Is there a previously discussed topic regarding engine paint/color?

Jerry
'47 cj2a
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

Baker6x6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baker6x6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 7:11pm
I just went through this last year (also a '47 CJ2A)- I read as many posts here as possible for color/detailing. You will have to research your particular model/equipment.
OEM motors were Gloss Black, but it wasn't quite as shiny as modern paints will be.
The secret to a good paint job on your engine is removing ALL grease and oils. As well as loose paint and rust.
Depending on how much you've removed (or planned to) from the engine- now is also a good time to flush out the block by removing the water pump and expansion plugs.
I use aluminum foil and duct-tape to cover all open orifices that should not get water/dirt in them.

1) I scrape off all built-up grease/dirt with putty knives, scrapers, and a wire brush
2) I use a pressure washer and GUNK Engine Degreaser, to get "most" of the residual oils.
3) Get 3 cans of "cheap" Oven Cleaner from the Dollar-Store- Soak the engine down with the cleaner- making sure it does not dry (do in the shade helps).. let soak for 5-10 minutes. Rinse with pressure washer- being careful not to splash on yourself. (wear long pants/sleeves, gloves, goggles/faceshield)
4) Blow-dry with compressed air (if you have a compressor, or even a leaf blower).

As far as paint- you have a couple choices. I've been painting antique auto engines for 30 years. I use Epoxy Primer, and Urethane finish coats. But, for the home hobbyist- an enamel primer and High-Temp engine paint works almost as well. Several light even coats works far better than fewer heavy coats.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2018 at 9:56pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
GloucesterBoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GloucesterBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 2:41am
Thank you very much!. The motor is out. I purchased the new brake package/kit from Walcks. This will be my first time installing new brakes as well. I am very "green" with big auto repairs, but, that's why I am doing this project. I will get crack'n on the new bakes this weekend and begin scrubbing up the engine . 

PS. That parts color chart is quite thorough!
Jerry

'47 CJ2A #96661

Post Reply Post Reply