Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

exhaust fumes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: exhaust fumes
    Posted: 01 June 2017 at 2:25pm
I am currently mocking up the exhaust on my 3a. 225 v6 I am planning on a single tail pipe. I have already maid up a Y pipe off the engine.
I would like the pipe to exit straight out the back. my concern is breathing the exhaust fumes. I have a 1960 cj5 134 F head that I have used as a daily driver for over twenty five years. summer only. the exhaust was straight out the back. bad fumes. I put on a90 degree elbow and now the on the pipe exits out the left side behind the rear tire and sticks out three inches past the side of the body. not as bad but still breathing fumes. I only have a bikini top over the front seats or no top at all. either way I am always breathing exhaust. is this a common problem or is it just me. I am planning on having a top that covers the entire top of the jeep and straight down the back with open sides. or topless does a full top change the air flow around the jeep maybe helping the problem? just wondering if anyone has had problems like this?

thanks Harry
Harry Eisenhauer
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 4:42pm
My exhaust guy strongly advised me against a straight back exit.  The large flat windshield and square back end create a eddy of recirculating flow.  Very similar to the recirculating flow in a truck box.  The 90 degree elbow behind one of the rear tires seems the safest bet.  Or the stock arrangement, which is about a 45 degree extension out the side IIRC.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2017 at 5:10am
My '2A with 225 V6 had exhaust straight out the back when I first got it. Terrible fumes with bikini top.

Currently the exhaust exits behind rear driver tire, 90 degree to frame, with approx. 45 degree down.   With that arrangement, it is rare to smell fumes.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2017 at 6:31am
I think you are on the right track as to the shape of whatever vehicle you are driving is going to have an effect on where the fumes go even if it is a stock exhaust system. Turning the exhaust out to the side behind the rear tires or tire is probably the best bet.
uncamonkey
pgbuick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgbuick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 1:17am
Straight out the back does not work.  Bad fumes.  I ended up with it exiting same as stock.  It's fairly good now.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2017 at 2:30am
Originally posted by pgbuick pgbuick wrote:

Straight out the back does not work.  Bad fumes.

I ran mine out the back, too.  I did it just because there was a conveniently-located hole to use to hang the pipe.  I need to add that to the change list...  Embarrassed
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply