Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Auction Listings / Classified Ads/ Jeeps for Sale Sightings!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fake Signs All Over Ebay?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fake Signs All Over Ebay?
    Posted: 10 Jan. 2018 at 3:06pm
I've collected original Willys signs for a long time and have paid some top dollar for good origianl ones.

I've seen a trend on ebay lately that has me scratching my head.
I keep seeing Willys (and other) signs come up very regularly that look vintage but I think they are frauds.  
When I look at the signs, something just does not seem right.  The signs are weathered but they don't look to be weathered the way old signs used to look.  And they always look weathered in the same way.  When I look at the sellers other items, all of the vintage signs they are offering all look to be weathered in the same way.
The sellers won't come right out and say the signs are vintage and original.  Instead they state they are used or previously used.
These sellers are getting vintage sign prices for their signs but I am not 100% convinced.  
Am I the only one that smells a rat.
Here is an example. 
 I make no claim that this sign is not vintage because it may be.  But my trick knee says don't bid.  Look at the other vintage sings he is offering.  They all look alike.
Any comments from other vintage sign collectors here?

WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2018 at 5:15pm
I would also question them because of there are others being sold from different parts of India. They are probably repros and they look nice but not for that money. Integrity is almost a thing of the past.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2018 at 6:10pm
Just walk away.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2018 at 6:56pm
If they are REALLY porcelain I'd say they were authentic. The repops are just going to be painted (or powder coated to look like porcelain)

It would be costly to do them the way the old porcelain ones would have been done.

Just my opinion....don't bid (or not) bid on my advice. I own both, originals and repops that look good hanging from the rafters but you can tell a difference.

The link you posted I'd stay away from due to location but that's just me.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2018 at 10:23pm
OK. I'll be the bad guy. They're fake.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 3:42am
There's a LOT of fake stuff, all over ebay.  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 5:21am
I think NOS is also being a bit misused as well.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 11:36am
Lols... I don't collect stuff like this for the same reason I don't hunt my own mushrooms LOL
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Mhovey46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhovey46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2018 at 1:59pm
There has been a lot of fakes being made lately. Some look pretty convincing. You wouldn't think someone would go out of their way to perfectly replicate a sign but it seems to be a growing trend.

Check this out. The sign on the top is an original and the sign on the bottom is a fake currently on ebay. Note the little differences such as the size of the blue line in between the double white line and the missing trademark symbol. The corners are also different as the original has rounded corners and the fake has square corners to fit the housing easier. The font and placing of the words also has a slight difference.

A very good job trying to copy the original and for the right price it would still look cool hanging in the garage. But to say it's a "vintage rare sign" is a little too far unless the owner truly doesn't know anything about it. There is also another style that popped up as a fake and if it happens to come up again I'll post it and explain the little differences. Not trying to bash the owners of these signs I'm just trying to spread the word because I'm sick of seeing people get taken advantage of especially in this hobby.  Buyer beware!!

Edited by Mhovey46 - 11 Jan. 2018 at 2:16pm
-Matt

Ford GP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ford GP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2018 at 1:02am
Money yields deceit.  The bigger the money, the bigger the deceit.  Signs are smoking hot right now.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2018 at 2:54am
Everybody and their brother has a 'man cave' these days. Most don't have the money it takes to buy "original" factory advertising ....it's expensive, always has been.

The biggest part of them want these signs to just 'look cool' to decorate the cave....they are not vintage collectors.

"Collectors" of vintage signs aren't interested in what Hobby Lobby is selling.

They aren't interested in repops or "fakes" either but man cave 'decorators' are.. So there is a legitimate market for them.......the only fault I see of the auction site stuff is IF they are trying to pass it off as original.

I've got some of each.....have one sign that shows up online all the time.....my rust spots are gonna look just like yours if you buy one because it is printed on the sign. I have no problem with that because mine is on the inside of a second story window. From the ground (and behind glass) it has a cool 'old' look. I don't care that it's not. Hanging on the wall over the work bench it wouldn't look so cool (to me) because you could tell it was a fake.

My Willys Service sign DOES hang on the wall....it's got real rust on it and I gave way to much for it back at a time when I could so I did.

Just saying there is a market for all of it......as long as you know what you are buying .

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2018 at 3:02am
I was wondering if they are infringing on copy writes. Some companies are touchy with that.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
 Post Reply Post Reply