Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

F-head info or photos?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: F-head info or photos?
    Posted: 30 Oct. 2009 at 4:09pm
Does anyone have access to a disassembled (or partially) F-head engine from mid-51 or later?

Looking for info/photos of the rear main bearing cap.

Sean
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2012 at 10:24pm
Just tore my '53 F head down. It had the victor wide seal in it. Am up in the air as to how things will go back together. Engine block currently at machine shop.  What pictures do you want?, and give me your full email to send pictures to and I'll help if I can.  John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2012 at 11:20pm
Wow!  I'd almost given up all hope.
Quote Just tore my '53 F head down. It had the victor wide seal in it...
Any indication of mileage?  or if it has been rebuilt in the past?

Quote ... What pictures do you want?
The rear main cap:  does it have the pressure relief hole like these?

...  and does the bearing have matching hole?

Thanks John!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2012 at 11:40pm
I have the seal and caps at my shop. I'll dig out the old bearing out of the garabage. The speedo cable broke at 38,000 miles, but all indications like steering etc. make me think not too many more. The engine was all standard. It did not have the metal return in the rear cap. It's possible someone replaced the engine. I don't have the serial number off the block or casting #'s. They are fixing a crack in the middle of the top deck and will plane it, so I'll try and get the # before they mill it off.  This is in my '53 Jeep pickup. Should be 1st year of the pickup F head. CJ3B 1st year was also '53. M38A1 was late '51.  Your pictures look like a operating room! That seal sent shivers down my spine when I saw it as I pulled the engine down. It had no deterioration though and turned like silk.  I'll get back to you, John
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2012 at 12:03am
Thanks John!
Quote ... The engine was all standard...
So probably original, or if rebuilt, at least didn't need bored/ground.

Quote ... It did not have the metal return in the rear cap...
Those were eliminated way back in late '48.

Quote ... That seal sent shivers down my spine when I saw it as I pulled the engine down...
I can imagine, with the horror stories told of late.

Quote ... It had no deterioration though and turned like silk ...
IMO, there's nothing inherently "wrong" with the Victor seal design.  They were used for 40+ years by Willys & aftermarket rebuild kits w/out issue.

It wasn't until mid to late '90s that problems started to crop up, ostensibly due to "defective" seals.  The nature of the "defect" has never been explained though, whether materials or fabrication is still not known.

Sean

ps: don't throw that seal away!  If you decide not to keep it,  I'd like to have it, will pay shipping

Edited by sean - 12 Mar. 2012 at 12:06am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2012 at 1:06am
Sean, it has the relief hole as pictured by you, including the bearing. I dug them out and washed them. The main bearing cap has casting # 657236. The seal is difficult to read, but it looked like: VG 49650, 800093. These two #'s were on both halves. I will be glad to send them to you for only one troy ounce of pure gold----LOL.  They are yours, send me your address and I'll ship them. I still need to get the block serial # tomorrow at the machine shop. I have no idea how it relates to production of F heads and whether it is original to the pickup. John
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2012 at 2:58pm
Thanks John!

So no change to F-head bearing caps, & Victor seal numbers are what's still being made today.

PM sent.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2012 at 11:29pm
My trucks VIN tag definately makes it a '53. The engine block stamped # is 4FR164826 The block casting # is 807895. Does R mean replacement? Anyone with data on F head engines in pickups or in general? Thanks, John
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2012 at 3:08pm
John:

4FR would seem to indicate replacement, corresponds with the L-head replacement stamp: 4LR
 Post Reply Post Reply