Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First time Willys owner, new project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 5:37pm
I've also been looking for a safer way to have a tilting front passenger seat for access to the back. What do you guys think of trying to adapt the latch from the front pass seat from a K5 Blazer?

If it works out, I may try to incorporate it into a 'fold-and-tumble' style back seat.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 6:32pm
Les,

I will post a picture of the arm rest.  Been raining here so it might be a day or two.

Another idea I keep considering for holding the side curtains rolled up - is using a set of straps that are sew to the inside of the top just above the horizontal top supports you have (which are similar to the supports on my old Land Rover).  When the sides are rolled up if the strap passes around the horizontal support and captures the rolled up side curtain then they don't flop around.  My idea is to take a set of the straps like the ones you are using to tension your top along the moon roof window and attache them to the inside roof on each side.  If you leave a gap in the sewing for the strap to pass though between the roof  and the top of the side curtain it would require only one strap.  My old land rover require a buckle on the outside of the top and a strap sewn on the inside.  My idea is to only put the strap through the hole when the sides are in a rolled up position.  When the strap is not in use holding the rolled side curtain it an be attached to the horizontal support to reduce the road flap.

Yes the Bat Wing door turned out well.

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2017 at 1:27am
Les,

This is a photo of the passenger seat arm rest  in my trail jeep.  It was made from an old drivers seat front leg.  I hammer shaped the ends and welded them to the passenger seat frame.  The pad is on the seat. 
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2017 at 6:55pm
That's pretty cool! 

I like the strap idea, too. My last top had the Land Rover style straps. 

My 'new' top has the side curtains attached with a 2" wide velcro strip, so I may be able to make it work by tucking the strap through the velcro...

Also, the top has a center bar between the two 'bows'. I want to fab some brackets so I can stow the doors overhead when I take them off on the trail.

I currently have a back 'curtain' made from a piece of canvas-covered plywood. I have it set up lift-gate style on a pair of gas pistons. It's a prototype for canvas-covered , tube-frame rear hatch that has a center door. The idea is to make it look like a standard canvas rear curtain from the outside, but you can drop the tailgate and either open the whole thing as a lift-gate, or open the canvas center as a framed, side-opening door.

For when I want the sides up and the top on, I'm looking at whether I want to roll up the canvas and leave the frame in place, or have the frame break down into smaller pieces for storage, or something else.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2017 at 4:11am
Originally posted by Stev Stev wrote:

Les,

This is a photo of the passenger seat arm rest  in my trail jeep.  It was made from an old drivers seat front leg.  I hammer shaped the ends and welded them to the passenger seat frame.  The pad is on the seat. 

I was looking for frame and tub dimensions and tripped across this fairly common 3A pic. Check out the arm rest on the passenger seat:

Are you sure you weren't a Willys engineer in a previous life? Big smile

Edited by LesBerg - 02 July 2017 at 4:15am
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2017 at 8:59am
That does look like an armrest........until you enlarge the photo and realize it's just the right leg of the driver seat.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2017 at 1:10pm
Is that the willy tool box I keep hearing about too?
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 5:26pm
Wow! It's been a while since I updated this.

Since the last post I've swapped the rear Dana 41 for an offset Dana 44, freshened up /re-ringed a decent used Dauntless and installed it, finished the 4-wheel Geo Tracker disc brake swap, replaced the windows in the top, and built a prototype rear lift gate (I don't have a tailgate Unhappy )  I need to get those posts dropped in over here, or link them up.

I stopped in to mention that I did some more work on the top.
If you've been bored enough to read through this whole thread, then you've seen the home made frame I built for my top. Unlike a 'normal' bow set, mine has fore/aft bars connecting the front and rear 'bows' in the center of the roof and on the sides at the top of the vertical leg.

This is how it was a few years ago. The front section has changed a bit - the back end of the bars over the doors now connects to the top of the angle, not the bottom. It keeps you from whacking your head... Embarrassed

One of the issues I'm having with it is that the top is flat and doesn't shed water properly when it's sitting in the rain. The canvas sags and the water won't run off without assistance.

To cure that, I made a set of faux-bows from 1/4" rod that that run side-to-side from the top of the side bars over the top of the center bar.

Of course, this introduced a new problem: The new rods push waaaaay out the canvas, even with minimal tension on the sides. This kind of stress point is what contributed to the death of my first canvas top.

Back to the homemade top frame for a minute. When I first built it, I had no way to make the curves that top bows have, so mine has a 6" 45° angle between the top and sides. The corners of this angle are what killed my first top. The canvas shrank too much and the corners popped through.

When I built the second top for the frame, I cut radiused wooden blocks and screwed them to the angled sections. Problem solved.

So now with the new faux-bows I'm getting the same kind of stress points where the canvas lays across the curve of the 1/4 rods.

It seemed to me that the easiest solution to this new issue is to spread the load out. How could I do that in a Willys flavor without spending a bunch of money on six proper bows and reworking the canvas?

I could sew another layer or two of canvas in the curved section of the roof, but I'm out of milspec canvas. I couldn't wait too long - it's the rainy season and I need the top on the jeep.

Well, my wife inherited her fathers leatherworking tools and a huge supply of leather a while back. With her approval, I made leather reinforcements and tacked them in at the wooden blocks at either side:

attached with upholstery tacks...

Here's the inside view. You can see the wood blocks,  the faux-bows, and the reinforcement on the other side:

Finished, with canvas reinstalled:

No we drive it and see how it does.  Yeah, I still need to install the windows on the drivers side curtain... Other stuff has had higher priority.

Edited by LesBerg - 12 Apr. 2018 at 6:15pm
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr. 2018 at 6:12pm
Rear disc brake upgrade:

Thanks for the plate plans, Stev!

A few things I discovered during the install:

Use a 1/2" caliper plate.
If the shop you're talking to can't cut a 3/8 hole in a half inch plate, find a new shop. You want a water jet shop, not a plasma/laser shop. There is some limitation to many plasma and laser setups (which I can't explain) where you can't cut a hole with a smaller diameter than the thickness of the metal.

This clears up several issues:
It eliminates the need for a spacer/washer between the caliper and the mount plate.

It also allows the use of the stock bracket-to-caliper bolts, no trimming required. If you're sourcing parts from a salvage yard, they probably followed you home anyway. Thumbs Up

If you use the 1/2 plate instead of 3/8, you can use 3/8-24 x 1 1/4 bolts and not need to trim anything. In the above pic you can see that with lock washers the 1 1/4 bolts are exactly the right length, so again there's no need to grind off extra threads for clearance.

I haven't checked this out for the front yet, but IIRC, the front bolts were about 1/8" too long. If I had used a 1/2" plate instead of the 3/8 they would have been perfect as well. I don't recall the actual bolt length, though.

Of course you need new wheel studs.
The stock units are actually long enough, but the shoulder is too tall once you remove the brake drum. Where the brake drum mounts over the shouldered section of the stud, the disc mounts over the shank, so the originals don't work.

There have been a number of suggested replacements, but they all involve some kind of work-around. You have to drill out the hole in the hub/flange larger for a bigger stud shoulder, or you have to drill the holes in the rotor larger, etc.

I discovered that the stock wheel studs used for the later model Willys brakes are nearly perfect. You want the studs used for the drum on the outside of the hub, not behind it. The shoulders still protrude slightly - about 1/16 of an inch, but the design of the stock rims and the spoked units I'm running clear it just fine.

Left-hand thread wheel studs from stock Willys drum-over-flange setup.

Additionally, using the drum-over-hub wheel studs allows you to retain the stock left-hand thread studs on the driver's side wheels if you choose to.

Other Stuff
I also installed an adjustable proportioning valve on the rear line. My jeep has been stretched, and when it was done the installer elected to splice in a second tube to lengthen the rear brake line instead of replacing the whole thing.

The splice is even with the front eye of the rear spring, so I just installed the unit there. It's handy if I want to make a quick adjustment when I'm loaded for camping. I just reach under to the inside of the frame rail at the front of the spring and twist the knob a bit.

The local yard I bought my parts from is a pull-it-yourself affair, so I grabbed the rotors, calipers, rubber lines and a few inches of the steel lines. This let me get all the fittings required to do the swap. No extra parts to order. At that point, all I needed was the plates, brake pads, and bolts.

The other reason I elected to use the stock Tracker lines is it's far cheaper and I can buy replacements at any auto parts store.

I welded in some line tabs to hold everything in place. The routing is a little goofy, but it's out of the way and it works:

Now I have disc brakes on all four corners. It stops way better than before, and fairly inexpensive.

Parts list for the rear disc brake upgrade:
  • Rotors, calipers, and lines at Pull-N-Save $36
  • new pads $17
  • Bolts $6
  • Caliper plates $60
  • DOT 4 brake fluid $9
  • Adjustable proportioning valve $47
  • brake line tabs $10

Total cost: $185

Can't beat it.

Edited by LesBerg - 12 Apr. 2018 at 6:48pm
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 4:27am
Wanna borrow a hacksaw to cut down those U-bolts?  Wink
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 4:44am
Are you kidding? Those are far harder than 'Idaho batholith' granite found around here!

I was actually thinking about hacking them off last weekend, but I don't know how much meat to leave on them for adding spring plate skids. Do I even need skids on them?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2018 at 5:15am
You'll want spring skids if you get into much rock crawling.  Although, there are different types of skids that don't need long U-bolts.  Drive it and see what needs to be done, I guess!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112