Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First time Willys owner, new project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 5:42am
After trolling my favorite search engine, DuckDuckGo.com, looking for the turn signal switch I found, I was pointed right back to the theCJ2Apage forums:

Turns out the unit I found is a Spartan. Thanks Scott R, for helping me identify it!
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2014 at 5:38am
Made some new bolts for a pair of damaged early front marker housings Gary gave me. I'm going to bolt them to the frame rails in the rear-most hole in the bumper gussets for front turn signals. Just need lenses to pull it off. Lovely - I need the bezels too. probably means I'll just have to order complete units. 

Still looking for ideas for the rear turn signals...

I just finished up replacing the exhaust manifold and got started installing the exhaust.  There's a little more to do - I need to lengthen the pipe by 24" and it should be good.

Oh - if you look here:
you can read the drama of busting an exhaust stud off at the back of the block and finding that the left steering knuckle was toast - including the axle shaft.  

To recap it, I'm going to hold off on repairing the stud until I pull the tub for repairs later this year. Similarly, I'll wait to replace the axle shaft until we can afford it. I'll keep it in 2wd until I can replace it.

Now for more drama....

I took it out on a quick test drive. I ran it around the perimeter of Mom's 10 acre property. We've been staying here for the last couple years helping her fix the place up. Anyway, after the 1/2 mile perimeter run in 4-low/1st, it started running rough. I couldn't see anything obviously wrong under the hood, so I hopped up on the road and ran it about a 1/4 mile in high range and took it back to the house. When I parked it and shut it down, it started puking coolant everywhere for several minutes.

The radiator looks pretty rough, but it doesn't leak so I was hoping it would be OK. The temp gage is bad - the needle appears stuck up against the left side of the inside of the gage. I'm really hoping that this doesn't mean that it overheated so bad it stuck the gage sometime in the past...

I'll pull and test the thermostat tomorrow sometime. I hope it's shot - I really can't afford a radiator too.

Edited by LesBerg - 01 June 2014 at 5:45am
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

gostby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gostby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2014 at 6:05am
Les, I think I have the lens for those lights. Let me know your address and I'll stick them in the mail. Gary
gostby
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2014 at 6:11am
Gary, You're the man! PM inbound.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2014 at 7:40pm
Hey Les

The radiators for these vehicles are crazy expensive...mine ran over $500.00 for a re-core from a local shop...I try to keep the money in the neighborhood...but if you cant find one there is this place here that I found...I am hoping this radiator comes from someone in this country....

https://www.radiatorexpress.com/product.asp?part_id=221423&aaia_id=1487043&gclid=CI-t6ryo2b4CFSMQ7AodTBcA6A

Thinking you wont need a new radiator...but just in case...here is an option for you...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2014 at 4:33pm
Yeah, I'm finding that this is the case for my 67 Ford truck as well. New radiator for it wil be nearly $700...

And I'm going to need a new one on the jeep. After overheating day before yesterday, it leaks pretty bad. There's enough previous damage that no shop around here is going to even attempt to patch it up.

The shroud is also completely missing, so it's looking like a new one is on the horizon. I've been trying like mad to get it running by this Thursday at the latest. Not finished, mind you, just safe to drive and road legal. My son wants a ride to school in it on the last day, which is Friday.

I don't think I'm going to pull it off, but I'm trying.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2014 at 7:10am
OK. Much closer to having it road-ready for Friday morning.

I replaced the thermostat, it was bad. Radiator leaks are down to minor seepage. It should last well enough until I can afford a good, solid replacement.

Here's a picture of the left Bendix joint - definitely needs to be replaced - as mentioned, it's on the marker board.

I mentioned that Gary donated a bunch of parts to the cause, including a pair of early front parking light housings. I had to fab a bracket for the socket and a pair of mounting bolts. The bracket was just a standard mild steel corner brace, and I drilled an appropriate sized hole through a pair of 5/16 carriage bolts:

I mounted them on the front frame horns, as planned. I got everything wired up and tested. The rear turn signals are small amber LED marker l;ights. They're temporary - I haven't found anything I'm happy with, and my vintage Spartan turn signal unit is a four-wire, which requires separate turn signals. It doesn't tie into the brake lights.

Oh, I also installed a complete, correct PCV system and a new RH outer tie rod, then did a by-the-manual front end alignment.  The front end is now solid and stable. And I shot the rims in flat black. I couldn't stand having a blotchy primer jeep with a red primer rim, a green/black rim, and a pair of white ones...

And then because I couldn't help myself, I shot a rattle can coat of primer on the body. It helps me see where I've got body work to do.

1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2014 at 7:14am
I have to say that I enjoy body work. But I'm dreading tackling the hood. It's wavy and warped enough to make Captain Ahab turn green. Someone had the brilliant idea to braze the center seam closed, but did a bad enough job that it took a yard of bondo to hide it...

No, it's really that bad. I'll post pictures, but have a paper bag ready in case your stomach rebels...
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

gostby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gostby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2014 at 5:07pm
Les, some bad news. I can't find the rims or lens. Must have found their way into the garbage can.
gostby
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2014 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by gostby gostby wrote:

Les, some bad news. I can't find the rims or lens. Must have found their way into the garbage can.

That's OK. Thanks for checking, I appreciate it. I'm thrilled that the parts gave me the inspiration on how to do the front turn signals.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 2:50am
Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

I have to say that I enjoy body work. But I'm dreading tackling the hood. It's wavy and warped enough to make Captain Ahab turn green. Someone had the brilliant idea to braze the center seam closed, but did a bad enough job that it took a yard of bondo to hide it...

No, it's really that bad. I'll post pictures, but have a paper bag ready in case your stomach rebels...

I have a hood that is in the same condition after I tried welding up a large hole someone cut into it; I'm still working on it.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 5:14am
Yeah, this one has that issue as well. My thought is that I certainly can't make it very much worse, and I can get a lot of practice in with my slap and vixen files... I think of it as a good warm-up to starting on flat body panels.

And with any luck, I end up not needing to drop $500 on a new hood. Big smile

This is another good time to make the case for buying an oxy-acetylene torch

[edit]
The instructor I had for my collision repair course could do some wild stuff with a torch and metal-working tools. He could have had my hood 'straight and relieved' in about an hour. The only person I've ever seen pull off more spectacular metal 'magic' was the instructor that he replaced a decade earlier. He was invited back once a every cycle to give a bondo-less metal working 'workshop'. 

I brought in a fender from my 63 Fairlane 500, which had been shortened about an inch in a front end collision. Watching him work the buckle out and bring all the body lines back into place... I don't even know how to describe it. Absolutely magic.

Edited by LesBerg - 06 June 2014 at 5:38am
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

zooke581 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zooke581 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 5:46am
Your work is looking good.  As for waves and such, on my Mil Jeep I like a few waves.  I have never been a perfect restorer anyway.  I have had an Oldsmobile from each year 1954 to 1959 and one 1958 Buick.
General William C. Lee Chapter of the 101st Airborne Division Association. B Btry 1/321 FA 76-78

http://va101stairborne.com
http://sundialmotosports.com
http://kalamals.com
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 3:36pm
The instructors I had for auto body repair were older gents at the time (early 1980s) and real metal men. I did get the hang of metal finishing and working metal, but it's been a loooong time since doing any of it. 
48 CJ2A
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 6:10pm
I love metal finishing. When you can take a mangled piece of metal and work it to the point you don't need filler or glaze, there's a real sense of accomplishment.

Here are a few pics of the hood

First, the underside. Note the size and depth of the dent surrounding the patched hole:

On the driver's side, closest to the windshield, that 'recess' is almost a half inch deep.

On the top, the seam has been brazed over. I'll have to take this in to have it melted out, I don't have an oxy-acetylene torch.

Get your paper bags ready, I wet down the hood to highlight the waves:

I'm really wishing I had a sandblaster right now....
[edit] 
While I'm wishing, I might as well add a metal brake and a tubing bender..

Edited by LesBerg - 06 June 2014 at 6:12pm
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 7:41pm
That is one messed up hood! On the other hand my jeep's hood looked like that after patching the hole in it. I'm still working on it, I've gotten the driver's half looking much better. The passenger's side is still putting up a fight. It's on my list of things to do this weekend. 
48 CJ2A
minnow1193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minnow1193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 3:03am
Hi. I just joined and I quickly scanned through this thread and didn't see (or missed) any comments about your odd wheelbase.

If it is ~24" longer than the stock 80" of a jeep, it could be a wagon frame. They have a 104" wheelbase. Just a thought that may help you find parts etc.....

Good looking project so far. Keep at it.

Steve
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2014 at 5:53am
Thanks! 

I promise you it's a CJ2A frame though. It's properly tagged for a CJ2A and it's pretty easy to pick out where the work was done. 

Best I can figure is that it was stretched using a kit of some kind. The tub was stretched on a zig-zag line between the back of the door well and the front of the wheel well, and the frame was spliced right between the trans crossmember and the rear body mount.

All the seams are readily apparent, and the quality of the parts is better than the quality of the install, which is why I think it was a kit. I'd rate the quality of the work as "better than shade tree, not quite modern collision repair". Given the technology and expertise of body shops of the day, this could easily rank as either a budget professional job or a very well executed garage project.

Thanks for the info, though. 
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>