Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flywheel dowl pins

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sethcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flywheel dowl pins
    Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 2:42am
I bought a running L134 out of a willys truck to replace the worn out one in my 2a. The flywheel on the truck motor is pretty worn and did not have the right number of teeth on the ring gear either. So i took the flywheel off of the worn out motor got it cleaned up and resurfaced. Tonight i went to install the flywheel and it would not fit on the two dowl pins. The pins on the truck motor are a straight pin and 9/16 vs the tappered ones that get used with my good flywheel. Has anyone run into this before? Any ideas on a fairly easy fix? Are the straight 9/16 pins some kind of up grade.  Thanks for the help. 

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 3:48am
Originally posted by Sethcj2a Sethcj2a wrote:

Are the straight 9/16 pins some kind of up grade.

Those were an improvement.  What exactly they improved I can't say but someone here can, I'm sure.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 5:16am
Exactly as you suspected, they were an upgrade, supposedly due to the difficulty of field repairs (if needed) on the taper pins. The bolts are special bolts, 9/16 parallel shank, special head to clear the block. They can be had at various dealers. 

There is a procedure for their installation covered in the manual. It involves installing the flywheel without the special bolts, drilling the crank flange slightly undersized, then reaming to exactly 9/16. I've just completed this on a crank and flywheel of my own. 

In your case you need to drill the flywheel, not the crank. I'm not sure that you can do this accurately without removing the crank. The holes need to be exactly centred on the 9/16 bolts. But I'm not a machinist. There must be a way of doing this accurately.....

Edited by JeepSaffer - 19 Feb. 2019 at 3:42pm
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 3:23pm
I have a pair of Willys OEM NOS straight dowels so PM me if your interested.....
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 3:25pm
A suggestion that unless you have the ability to machine your flywheel in house (with tooling you already have) it will be cheaper and much less hassle to pass that flywheel along and buy one that fits your crank set up. Put a Want ad on here and if you are on any of the Facebook Willys pages put an ad on them as well I doubt it will take more then a day to find a flywheel.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
JeepSaffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepSaffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 3:41pm
...... or, get the truck flywheel resurfaced and put a new 97 tooth ring gear on it......
1948 CJ2A #204853 in South Africa
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by JeepSaffer JeepSaffer wrote:

...... or, get the truck flywheel resurfaced and put a new 97 tooth ring gear on it......

A good call since the truck fly wheel was probably balanced to the trucks' crankshaft.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2019 at 5:22pm
You were going to use the ring gear on the "original" flywheel anyway, til the flywheel didn't fit... I'd just clean up the truck flywheel and swap the ring gear over as long as it was serviceable (as opposed to buying a new one)

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
 Post Reply Post Reply