Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fort Holabird

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgirmus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fort Holabird
    Posted: 09 Jan. 2012 at 8:00pm
I took advantage of the great weather this past weekend to visit the remains of Fort Holabird in Baltimore, MD.  For those of you who don't know, Fort Holabird was the site of a US Army proving ground where the prototype jeep vehicles (Bantam Pilot, Willys Quad, and Ford Pygmy) were tested.  Unfortunately, the area was redeveloped as an industrial park when the fort closed.  All that is left of the proving ground is a tree-covered hill now part of a city park.  On the face of the hill are 3 concrete pathways of varying steepness.  Here's a photo looking up the steepest grade:

Despite obvious neglect, the hill is a pretty neat piece of history.  Here's a link to the rest of the pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/brandongirmus/FortHolabirdMD#

Brandon

1946 CJ2A 46191
1943 MB 265211
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2012 at 9:13pm
I love that kind of stuff..........just imagine what went up that hill.......what was "proved" on that slope? It's fun to wonder.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2012 at 9:36pm
Thanks for Sharing Brandon. Very cool to think about that pic. The link doesn't open up your other pics. Is there a typo?
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

bgirmus View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgirmus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2012 at 9:43pm
Joe,

I forgot to make the album public. Embarrassed I just corrected that, but it looks like it might take a little bit for the change to take effect.

Brandon

Edit: Link should work now.  Sorry about that!

Edited by bgirmus - 09 Jan. 2012 at 9:44pm
1946 CJ2A 46191
1943 MB 265211
combat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2012 at 3:14am
Brandon
VERY COOL !!!!! Did you drive your jeep up and over them? I don't think I could resist that . And take photos too! Man the history that happened there.
Frank

GPW 96842
CJ2A 10399
48 CJ2a
49 cj2a
GP

Where there's a WILLYS there's a way.
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club
Roberto Flores View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Flores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2012 at 9:37am
Thanks a lot for those fantastic shots! Take a looke here:

http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/Toledo3.html
Roberto Flores
Made to order cartoons, comics...!
http://www.robertoflores.com
http://www.cafepress.com/robertoflorescartoonist
http://www.cafepress.com/theoutliner
http://www.zazzle.com/flores67

Roberto Flores View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Flores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2012 at 9:46am
Roberto Flores
Made to order cartoons, comics...!
http://www.robertoflores.com
http://www.cafepress.com/robertoflorescartoonist
http://www.cafepress.com/theoutliner
http://www.zazzle.com/flores67

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2012 at 10:12am
Thanks Brandon
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

bgirmus View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgirmus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2012 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by combat combat wrote:

Did you drive your jeep up and over them?

No, unfortunately I did not have my Jeep with me.  If I had, I probably would have given into the temptation and at least driven it up the least steep slope.  Maybe I should make a return trip. Wink

Brandon
1946 CJ2A 46191
1943 MB 265211
Bill Norris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Norris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2012 at 5:33pm
Very cool!
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2012 at 5:59pm
ive lived in baltimore my whole life. ive never taken the time to go check it out. its a long drive but this spring i;m taking the 2a down and i'll take those hills. you wanna meet me down there brandon? i could do it now but those branches look a little low for the top..... but whats a few more dents????!!!!! maybe i'll do it sooner... thanks for postiong this!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2012 at 6:25pm
O where on this field are the hills? I'm so totally jonesing to get some footage of my lil piggy creeping up these !!! I took this screen shot from my iPhone.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2012 at 6:38pm
Dateline Baltimore Maryland....a crazed Willys afficianado was apprehended today by officials at the Fort Holabird facility for driving onto a historic structure.... Amids shouts from the willys driver of "It's OKAY, I have a JEEP!" the local Swat team used rubber bullets and eventually a tazer gun to disable one M. Gardner who was attempting, as he put it, to duplicate a historic moment for Youtube. Fortunately for all involved a nearby National Guard regiment was called out and they had a member who was able to drive the tan, hardtop equipped jeep off the "test hill" as he was the only person there who still knew how to use a clutch. Officials stated that had the guardsman not showed up, they would have had to get a bomb disposal unit to vaporize the Willys without damaging the structure.

In a related story, a terrorist site was recently shut down on the internet by Obama's new czar of decency and political correctness, Chelsea Clinton. Swat teams have been sent to places as far away as Coleman, Texas to "nuetralize" members of "The 2A page" ....Allegedly her next targets will be something called Pirate and HAMB, as well as the mysterious and obviously evil ECJ5 page.

Edited by F Bill - 10 Jan. 2012 at 8:38pm
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2012 at 6:42pm
LOL!!!!
Joe DeYoung

shakyshot View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2012 at 6:49pm
LOL
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

Dateline Baltimore Maryland....a crazed Willys afficianado was apprehended today by officials at the Fort Holabird facility for driving onto a historic structure.... Amids shouts from the willys driver of "It's OKAY, I have a JEEP!" the local Swat team used rubber bullets and eventually a tazer gun to disable one M. Gardner who was attempting, as he put it, to duplicate a historic moment for Youtube. Fortunately for all involved a nearby National Guard regiment was called out and they had a member who was able to drive the tan, hardtop equipped jeep off the "test hill" as he was the only person there who still knew how to use a clutch. Officials stated that had the guardsman not showed up, they would have had to get a bomb disposal unit to vaporize the Willys without damaging the structure.

LOL
1947 CJ-2A #103586 "Les"
1947 Bantam T3C Hiawatha "Moore"

Hayes Family CJ-2A
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2012 at 6:52pm
i just shot a piece of ham outta my nose....

you'll never take me alive you fukers!

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2012 at 7:08pm
great post.....I love stuff like this 
Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2012 at 7:42pm
what should i wear .... ?

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>