Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bob and Gales Excellent Adventure

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bob and Gales Excellent Adventure
    Posted: 20 Aug. 2009 at 7:27pm
I'm starting this thread early as I'm ready to go, Passports located, Jeep is lubed, de-squeaked and the top is set up for inclement weather. It sounds as if Gale is nearly ready as well.

We intend to drive the Jeeps to Vancouver Island, BC from Seattle, WA (We will take some ferry rides as well.) to visit Bob (Lomar15) in Fanny Bay, BC. We may meet another Flat fender guy in Anacortes, WA. Gale conceived this trip months ago and I readily agreed, proving in my case, wisdom is NOT a function of age. I'm thinking the little machine may not be kind to these old bones. Happily my bride is excited to.

We will have lots of pictures to share, it is very scenic country we will be passing through, especially the San Juan Islands on the international ferry run. More to come .  .  . 

Edited by bob777 - 20 Aug. 2009 at 7:38pm
Bob '48 CJ2A 162153
Bantam TC-3 406
http://picasaweb.google.com/home
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2009 at 9:53pm
Cool can't wait to hear and see how your trip goes. Safe travels!
Maker of the Reedkini
Roberto Flores View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Flores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2009 at 5:40pm
Have a nice travel and good luck!
Roberto Flores
Made to order cartoons, comics...!
http://www.robertoflores.com
http://www.cafepress.com/robertoflorescartoonist
http://www.cafepress.com/theoutliner
http://www.zazzle.com/flores67

ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2009 at 7:36pm
best of luck to all involved. I wish you a safe and happy trip.
Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2009 at 10:37pm
Hey Bob, sorry I wasn't able to stick around long enough to meet you when I visited Gale last week in Seattle.  It would have also been great to have been able to join you guys on your trip in my own little 2a.  I know you guys are going to have fun on this trip.

I hope you guys have a great trip!  Take lots of pics!

Jerry

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2009 at 4:02pm
I'm envious of such a great run. It's great that you guys in the NW are getting together for a little comaraderie and adventure. Happy trails, and be safe. I hope to see alot of pics.

Edited by GaryArf - 22 Aug. 2009 at 4:12pm
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2009 at 3:00am
We're baaack.LOL. 510 or 590 miles (Bob had the longer drive, he lives 40 miles south of me). It was a lot of fun, I've got 700 pictures in my computer from the trip, have to go through them before I post a few, right now I'm kinda numb. It was a great trip, beautiful scenery, great friends, both old and new. More to follow. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Lomar15 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2009 at 7:12am
I can't thank you guys enough for comming up here, Your great people, I had such a great time,  I went for a drive later that night, and miss the two 2A's in my mirror.  Next trip I'll be heading down south.

thanks again

Bob
46 CJ2A #48777
42 MB Slat Grill 119898 Frame
51 M38 Body
42 MB #155950
Spen Trailer

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomar15CJ2A
bob777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2009 at 1:28am
We made it back safely, The little machines ran just as WO said they would in the '40s.

The trip, day 1.

Left home at 7:30, topped off the tank and headed for Gales house. I was apprehensive about threading my way through the Seattle Friday AM commute, turned out it was a piece of cake. The weather was threatening rain with a little drizzle, vacuum wipers are marginal at best. I had the side curtains and rear curtain all rolled up and the doors off anticipating good weather.

9:00 AM arrived at Gales, weather still looking marginal but NOT raining or cold, Gale was set up with his doors and rear curtain off. We decided we would chance it without buttoning up so off we went to the first ferry ride. Caught the ferry for about a 20 minute crossing to the bottom of Whidby Island. Weather improving, traffic was light so we were not leading many parades (we would pull off to allow people to pass).

The island is mostly rolling farm land and timber. Lots to look at and at 45mph a chance to see it. Stopped at the northern end of the island at Deception Pass, a narrow channel which creates the island. Then it was off to Anacortes and our first nights stay. Got in about 2PM, scoped out the town and the ladies spotted the antique stores, Gale and I "had" to content our selves with aimlessly wandering about in a old marine hardware store (the kind with the the oiled wooden, sloping floors and unique smell). Weather greatly improved, sunshine and warm, Jeeps were running great. Topped off the tanks and discovered we were getting 19mpg, a pleasant surprise. 130 miles traveled.

Day 2, up at o'dark 30, quick breakfast at Micky Ds and off to the ferry landing. We checked on how early we needed to be there and were advised 1 1/2 to 2 hours early. WRONG, we waited about two hours to board the Washington State international ferry to Sydney, British Columbia. It was a pleasant wait; weather clear, sunny and warm. Visited with several other folks and of course got a lot of compliments on the Jeeps . . . Fun.

Arrived Sydney BC, after a scenic trip through the San Juan Islands. Weather was perfect.  .  .  great day for a Jeep ride. Headed for another ferry which would have cut off about an hour of drive time. Just missed getting on it and decided to not wait the 2 hrs for the next run and drove around. This was the most stressful segment of the trip. Two lane road with few turnouts and heavy traffic. I had a young lady apparently trying to imboss the Willys logo from my tail gate onto the hood of her car and Gale was concerned with his engine temperature. There was about a 1100 foot climb.

We made it without incident, stopped for lunch in the town we would have came to on the ferry. The country is heavily timbered with the trees going to the water.  .  .  very pretty country. Headed on up the coast passing through several pretty little towns and skirting the beachs. This portion of the coast seems to be a resort area with the towns all having a profusion of flowers. Met Bob at a beach below where he lives, we proceeded to his house, arriving in the late afternoon. Gales right rear tire went flat just as we shut the machines off. This is Gales story so I won't go into it.

Bobs neighbors Bob and Brenda came over to check out what was going on, very gracious folks and we all had a great visit and of course lots of Jeep talk.

We went to dinner at a Pub out by Comax AFB and noticed a air museum, we decided to take it in on Sunday. 153 miles traveled.

Day 3. Hooked up with Bob about 9:30 and went to the air museum. Those folks got really excited over the Jeeps and the fact we had driven them so far. One of the fellows gave us a special showing of the Spitfire fighter they are restoring, very impressive. Back to Bobs where he showed us his early wartime jeeps. and of course more Jeep talk. Bob and Gale diagnosed the hesitant starting my Jeep is having. (voltage drop on cranking) Again I was reminded how clueless I am about auto mechanics.

We headed out about 3 PM going south to Duncan, BC for the night. 152 miles since last refueling.

Day 4. Up early and a sitdown breakfast, then off to the ferry landing (the one we missed coming up). Again the weather was perfect, the ferry ride was very scenic with forested mountains coming down to the water. The rest of the trip home was much the same as it was coming up. Great weather for a little Jeep ride. 155 miles traveled.

All in all we had a great time (must have as I was pooped when I got home) There were no serious problems with the Jeeps and the weather was perfect for a Jeep ride. Total miles traveled 591 and 19.3 mpg, not bad eh???

Gale will be posting some pictures.

Bob Collins, THANKYOU!!!

Bob
Bob '48 CJ2A 162153
Bantam TC-3 406
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2009 at 2:11am
I'll start posting the pictures soon (notice the ambiguous time reference, I'm still sorting, one thing I found out, Jane's camera dating is one day short of a year into the future, and Inez's camera is about a year and a half in the past.LOL So I'm still sorting through them) The pictures are a great reminder of a great trip. Bob mentioned the tire thing, to expand, just as we pulled into Bob C's house, I heard a hissing noise, so I ask "where's that noise coming from?" thinking a radiator hose or something, Bob C says its coming from my r/rear tire, so off it comes, Bob handily had a manual tire machine next to his garage so we pulled the tube out, there's a split/cut in the tube, but we couldn't find anything in the tire that would have caused this, my thought is that it was damaged when the tires were installed. Bob C had an old tube that he generously donated, and that was put in and the assembly became my new spare. I can think of a lot of places where a flat tire would have been much more of a pain, and some that would have been downright dangerous, like the 5 mile downhills after the climb that Bob H talked about. Must be living right or something.
HopefullyI can start getting some pics posted in the next few days, still sorting, I think that 700 of them posted in the thread would be a bit much.LOL
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Lomar15 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lomar15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2009 at 3:19am
Hi Guys glad you made it to the Mill bay ferry, I heard it was a nice ferry ride, I should take it sometime myself.   thanks again for the visit

Bob

PS I got the pics from Brenda and she has one of the flat, I'll add it in here when you get your pics up
46 CJ2A #48777
42 MB Slat Grill 119898 Frame
51 M38 Body
42 MB #155950
Spen Trailer

http://picasaweb.google.com/lomar15CJ2A
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2009 at 3:52am
OK, here goes. I'm not going to add much commentary, Bob did an excellent job of describing the trip, so I'll just add some captions.
This is Friday 8/21
Here's Bob and I getting ready for the expedition.

Can't I go too? (answer no)

Bob and Inez on the first ferry.

And a view of the other ferry going the opposite way

Bob and I posing with a "mileage sign" at Deception Pass (this idea didn't work out the way originally intendedLOL)

And closing up for the first night's motel stop.

Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2009 at 1:18pm
guys, all i can say is that i am very envious !!!!  great thread !!!!  low
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

westforkboyd View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westforkboyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2009 at 1:33pm
Yes what a great thread and adventurous trip! 

You've certainly made up for your isolation over in the Great Northwest. Next year many would like to join you for the second annual trip. Glad all went well for you guys and gals.

WFB
'48 CJ-2A #184135 Lefty
'49 CJ-2A #219719 Mule
'39 Ford 9N
'55 Oliver Super 55 Ollybelle
bob777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2009 at 3:28pm
Bob,

The Mill bay ferry is definately a must do. It would make a great day trip for you. Brentwood is very pretty little place and from the water it is perched on the hillside with a small yatch basin close to the ferry landing.

I was amazed several years ago how much there is to see and do in my neighborhood when I got to organize some sight seeing trips for some Flat Lander (Louisiana and Florida) friends who came to visit us. Any you folks ever get out here to the Northwest, be sure to give me a heads up and I will be happy to do some tours.

Cammer, I was disapointed I did not get to meet you on your recent visit however I understand how short vacations can be especially with your family.

WFB, Come on out, we are ready for you and your bride.

Bob

Edited by bob777 - 26 Aug. 2009 at 3:46pm
Bob '48 CJ2A 162153
Bantam TC-3 406
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2009 at 3:53pm
Saturday 8/22

Here's the bomb/drug sniffing dog (never quite figured out which one, maybe both) in the ferry waiting line for the international crossing.

After the drive up the big hill that Bob H talked about, we met Bob C at Qualicom Beach. Here's the group milling around the parking strip.

From there we drove to Bob C's house, this is our 3 Jeep convoy. You can only see 2, you're looking through the windshield of #3)

Arriving at Bob's, the first order of business was the tire repair. Bob and I are hard at it while his neighbor supervises.

Tire changed, here's a group photo. From left to right, Bob C, Jane, Gale, Inez, Bob H

And a group shot of the Jeeps, left to right, Bob H's 48, My 47, and Bob C's 46

And a picture of our gracious host, thanks again Bob (can't seem to be able to rotate the pic in this post, you'll all have to tilt your heads to the leftLOL, sorry Bob)

Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2009 at 4:18pm
Great write up and pics guys!  Once again I'm sorry I missed the whole adventure and I'm thankful that things worked out very well with the biggest mishap being a flat tire. 

This reminds me of my dad's trip from Oklahoma to Washington a couple of years ago in a 39 Studebaker.  He actually didn't make it because of motor problems.  He ended up with 4 out of the 6 cylinders still firing when he decided to buy a van and trailer and tow it the rest of the way home.

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2009 at 4:06am
Sunday 8/23

Intense calculations going on.

This was so we could make this signLOL This is also our farthest north point of the trip.

We visited a Canadian Air Force museum, one of their projects was restoring a Mk 9 Spitfire that was flown by a Canadian during WWII, this isn't normally accessible but when they saw the Willy's, they made an exception. Not often one can get this close to history (that's me leaning on the fuselage with my head inside the cockpit) If anyone wants more pics of this let me know, I've got a bunch of the various bits and pieces photographed.

After the museum, we went back to Bob C's place and talked for a while, and did some checks on the 2A's, here's Bob H taking a napLOL (actually he was trying to figure out a way to de-rattle the exhaust, didn't work and it rattled all the way home) So we drove part way down Vancouver Island and checked into our last motel stay of the trip.

Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>