Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Koenig Winch Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Koenig Winch Questions
    Posted: 18 Jan. 2010 at 5:05am
  Well, I have about all the parts rounded up to re-build my Koenig Model 100. Does anybody know what color they were originally painted? Was the aluminum left bare? What color was the drum and the clutch hub? And the shift lever/ fork assembly? Mine appears to have been painted all over silver at one time, with white over that.  The two "plugs" that support the worm gear appear to be the same, except, of course, that the shaft extends thru one, and that one has a seal-- I assume the other one should have a plug, mine is open. What kind of plug did they use?  What style of pipe plug was used in the lube fill hole? What is the proper lube? And, lastly, (for now) how is the cable secured to the drum? Thanx Much.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2010 at 1:50pm
Hey Bruce,
Not sure about original paint, but I think they look pretty good just in the raw aluminum.  The plugs I had in mine had a block that stuck out.  that's what you'd put the wrench on to turn them in or out.  Not sure if they were original but that's what they had.  I use the same gear lube I use in my axles in the winch.  It's not a high speed machine, it just needs good lube.  As for securing the cable, look on one side of the drum.  There should be a hole in one flange.  the cable goes out that hole and there should be a block with two bolt holes near the flange hole.  The end of the cable should be clamped by a strap that is held by two bolts.

I painted my drum and engagement lever black and left the side blocks aluminum.  I think it looks sharp that way.
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2010 at 1:16am
I had kinda figured on bare aluminum. Why paint something that looks good bare & won't rust? And black seems a good color for that that will.
  I guess instead of "plugs" I should have said bearing retainers on either end of the worm gear shaft, that are held in the case with 6 (I think) 1/4 inch bolts. They appear to be the same, with one having the worm gear shaft protruding, where the PTO shaft hooks up. This one has a seal around the shaft. I'm thinkin' that the other one, which has an open hole, should have a Welch plug or something similar in it, in place of the seal.
  I found the hole in the drum, and the bolt holes next to it, and figured that was the way the cable was secured. Could you get me a picture or two of the block that holds the cable? Mine is missing. Also, some good pictures of the engagement lever & mechanism would be greatly appreciated. Mine is broken off & gone, so I want to build something as similar as possible to the original, and bolt it onto the "A-frame" where the original broke off from. Thanx Much Mike.   BW

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan. 2010 at 6:45pm
Bruce,
I have photos of the engagement lever and shaft ends. Don't know how to post photos, so PM me with your e-mail address and I will send them.
Terry
BOULDER 48 2A
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan. 2010 at 4:25pm

BOULDER 48 2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2010 at 2:38am
Thanx Much Terry, but, looks to be a different model winch. It's not built like mine, even tho it & mine are both Koenig's. Your pic's could still be of some help, though. Thanx again.  BW

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2010 at 4:57pm
I think on the photo showing the Koenig logo it says modelc100??
BOULDER 48 2A
cpr_vbg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cpr_vbg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan. 2010 at 6:04pm
Here are few before and after pictures of my Koenig 100 winch.  I blasted the parts, and sprayed cast aluminum and black paint. The gear housing was aluminum, the brake is brass, the rest are steel parts.   In the third picture, gray part is primer on the bracket that holds the end of the cable.

1947 CJ2A

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2010 at 2:41am
I can't quite make out what it says, Terry, you may be right, but cpr-vbg's pic's look just like my winch. They also answered most of my questions. I hope mine looks as good as that one when I get done. Thanx all.   BW

Post Reply Post Reply