Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

first trailer.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: first trailer.
    Posted: 31 Oct. 2010 at 11:49pm
Bought this trailer yesterday at a auction, thought it would look good behind my cherokee so bid on it and after buying a new 1 7/8 inch ball towed it home with no problems, looks original, just missing lights but old 2 prong wiring is still there. title says its year 1947, make amban, body style flat b. ????. found no rust at all, just needs repaint in spring probably. anyway was looking for info and found this site, look forward to all the info on here, thanks. will get more pics soon.

Edited by aaron - 11 Apr. 2011 at 11:16pm
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2010 at 11:54pm
Wow!Clap If you want to double your money, let me know.Wink
Dave
aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct. 2010 at 11:57pm
didnt even know what i was buying until i got it home and did some research, wife says another piece of crap in the drive, but now i say its staying, lol. i guess not bad for my first trailer buy.
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 12:21am
I'd leave it just the way it is.  Great find.
I think flat b, they consider it a flat bed trailer.

Edited by Hamhog - 01 Nov. 2010 at 12:23am
Dave
aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 12:29am
so does that mean the title might not match trailer, because it doesnt look like a flatbed, or did they just generlize the titles back then?
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 12:38am
That sure looks like a Bantam T3-C, maybe the guy at the DMV was dyslexic and morphed Bantam into Amban (leaving out the T)LOL, and thought since the bed was flat, that's what the type was. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 12:45am
would the vehicle idetification # help with anything, its 16947.
aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 12:53am
also is there anything i need to look out for on these things. like hidden problems? because this one looks and pulls new, and i dont want to fix whats not broke, lol.
ndrtkr View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndrtkr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 1:22am
Originally posted by aaron aaron wrote:

also is there anything i need to look out for on these things. like hidden problems? because this one looks and pulls new, and i dont want to fix whats not broke, lol.
A word of caution....the tongue length being shorter than modern trailers makes it very susceptible to jack knifing in sharp turns (traveling forwards or backwards).  I've seen them modified to put a little extension on the tongue to prevent this. Only problem with that is.....takes away from originality.  Don't modifiy anything that can't be returned to original, this really negatively effects the value tremendously!  That's a really nice Bantam Thumbs Up !
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid"- John Wayne
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 2:44am
Wow - awesome find.  Make sure to take some more pics for us - also get your info and pics to Art C for our database

Regarding the length - I use an 18 inch extender like found at Cabelas. 
Really helps and I can see the tailgate with my mirrors
Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
dmeyerrph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmeyerrph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 2:47am
Also - I bet amban stands for American Bantam.
The only other thing you need to do is repack the wheel bearings - make sure you put in new seals when you do.  You can do it yourself - you need a Jeep front wheel socket for a CJ-2A.
Dave - Retired LTC USAR
T3-C SN 2524
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sahara
M1 Garand
30-40 Krag

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--O-)_) <
tappel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tappel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 12:56pm
Nice Find Aaron!   Where in our great state are you located in?
aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 12:57pm
warrensburg mo, 64093. thanks. im a vitange holic.
tappel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tappel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 12:59pm

Well you're lucky I wasnt at that auction!!   lol

Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by dmeyerrph dmeyerrph wrote:

Also - I bet amban stands for American Bantam.

Good catch Dave! I think you have something there.

That is a really nice trailer aaron! Let's see some more detailed (and larger) pics!
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 5:32pm
yeah, i didnt know what i was bidding on, and wasnt prepared to go over 300. everybody seemed more interested in the 76 land rover, went for 995, was rusted out and non running. I'll get my son to help post more detailed pics, he had to help me resize that picture to fit, kids, lol, i guess that college money is paying off finally, lol. thanks all.
aaron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aaron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2010 at 8:33pm
was looking closer today for numbers and saw some paint flaking off, underneath some was clean metal, but around hitch were it is flaking, there is a darker red paint underneath. whats original color? anyway i cant stand rust so i ran to hardware store and picked up a can of rust stop and got to spraying anything that looked like it was even thinking about rusting. beacause some pics of these i saw online are pretty rusted and im not letting that happen here. thanks.
Fred Coldwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Coldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2010 at 3:42am
Hi Aaron:

Congratulations on acquiring a beautiful little 1/4 ton Bantam trailer!  I'd bet the make "Amban" is your DMV's abbreviation for "American Bantam Car Co.", the name of the company that built your civilian trailer.   ;)   Enjoy your new treasure!  :) 

Edited by Fred Coldwell - 04 Nov. 2010 at 3:45am
Happy Jeep Trails,

Fred Coldwell
Denver, CO
1944 CJ2-09 - X-33
1945 CJ2-26 - X-50

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>