Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My '46 CJ2A project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bermerwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My '46 CJ2A project
    Posted: 02 Jan. 2011 at 3:27pm

I've submitted my pictures to the e-mail address on the owner's page but have yet to see my CJ2A added to the locater. So I have attached a picture of my 1946 Willys CJ2A to post here. I won it on E-bay almost 6 years and I’m roughly 75% done with the restoration. Your website has been extremely helpful during the on-going restoration process.

It started with the selling of my ’98 Jeep. The upcoming arrival of my second child dictated that I buy a vehicle more suitable for the growing family.  To fill my Jeep void I began searching for a replacement to be used as recreation. A few months later I won a 1946 Willys CJ2A  Jeep on E-bay. The owner had inherited it from his father and finally decided, ten years after his father’s death to let it go. I picked the Jeep up in New Jersey on a cold rainy morning and brought it back to Tennessee. The whole way home in my rear view mirror I watched as small pieces fell off the rusting bucket of bolts.  I also couldn’t stand the laughter I received when I pulled in the driveway with my new prize.

A little over a year after getting it home, I took my first ride in my Willys. Seating directly on the gas tank in the new tub, I cruised around the yard coasting to a stop because brakes where not yet in the budget.  I continued to work on it till it was ready for short trips around town. The family that had once laughed when it arrived were now begging to go on rides. It is a great source of relaxation and frustration from time to time but I’ll never sell it.

David Levi

Serial Number: CJ2A61259 

Chattanooga, TN.

Vic Rola View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Rola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2011 at 3:48pm
Nice job!

I too live in TN.  My CJ2A resurection (it's much beyond the restoration stage), is on a '48 model.  Appears to have been from the factory in a red color.  Going back with yellow factory wheels, and the 'prairie green' color offered in those years.  Canvas seats, and a canvas top w/ no sides.

I too hope for the same family reaction you got!

Engine is ready to go back in...brakes are 80% done...body work is next.  I keep on telling the spouse that we're still well within budget!!!

Vic
Effort Equals Results (Roger Penske)

Vic
Bermerwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bermerwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2011 at 6:01pm

Thanks Vic!

I too have blown the budget a long time ago. During a difficult time a while ago, I’d get up at 3:00am sometimes when I couldn’t sleep and go for a Jeep ride. After those rides I always slept like a baby when I got back to the house. Lucky enough my wife began to see the value in the Jeep after she saw the good those late night rides did for me.

Right now I plan to go Harvest tan with orange wheels but paint is about two years out. 2011 plans are for a top and back seat.

Go luck!, David

ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2011 at 6:36pm
Check out softdraw's rig for the beauty of that color combo.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2011 at 1:50pm
Hey you 2 Tennessee guys! Welcome to the forum!
Let's see some more pictures of your rides!

Thumbs Up
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
Vic Rola View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Rola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2011 at 12:17am
The harvest gold/orange selection was my secind choice.  I had an opportunity to have the wheels powder coated (for a decent price), but only in one color...yellow.  So I changed to the prairie green, if not a little lighter.
The engine was moved next to the Jeep this morning, by our companies mechanic, so I'm hoping for the best.
Will be ordering the L + R quarter panels soon...Then the canvas seats, and summer top.

Vic
Effort Equals Results (Roger Penske)

Vic
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2011 at 12:25am

"The engine was moved next to the Jeep this morning, by our companies mechanic"

I WANT ONE OF THOSE! Thumbs Up
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2011 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by kilroy kilroy wrote:

"The engine was moved next to the Jeep this morning, by our companies mechanic"

I WANT ONE OF THOSE! Thumbs Up

Engine?........ Jeep?........ or Company Mechanic?

Big smile
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2011 at 1:57pm
I got the first two...
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2011 at 2:00pm
I guess since I am the only employee of my company that makes me my company's mechanic.

Confused
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2011 at 2:10pm
I guess that counts. LOL
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

Bermerwood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bermerwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2012 at 4:02am

Wanted to add some updated pictures of my project. I snapped a few pictures of my Jeep at the Carbarn in Chattanooga. The photos were used my 40th birthday which was had a 40's theme. Enjoy!

WVCAHILLBILLY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WVCAHILLBILLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2012 at 4:28am
Definite flashback! Thanks for sharing.Thumbs Up
Joe
46 CJ2A 29385 Gumby
"We shall pass this way on Earth but once,if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again."Stephen Grelle
HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2012 at 2:17am
Originally posted by WVCAHILLBILLY WVCAHILLBILLY wrote:

Definite flashback! Thanks for sharing.Thumbs Up

+1!  Those are great 'retro' shots!

HB
5 Jeeps, 4 HAM radios, and not enough things that go 'BANG!' (no, not hammers!)

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197
 Post Reply Post Reply