Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

long forgotten engines...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: long forgotten engines...
    Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 3:09pm

got this idea on another forum and thought it would be really fun to see what everyone here has to say..

let's see some odd-ball engines.. powerplants that have been long forgotten by today's car enthusiests.

GMC Big Block V6s and Twin-Six 702ci. V12
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 3:20pm
Now that's something else! What was it used for? A genset? Looks like a air comp. on the top or something.
Neat! Thanks for the post!
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

evanjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 3:45pm

From what I can tell, they used them as stationary powerplants, but they also were offered in some of their largest trucks.. along with GMC's line of Big Block V6s...

wild stuff...
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 3:47pm
The size of that engine sure makes that starter look TINY!
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

evanjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 3:47pm
how about the old cadillac flathead v8 with the exhaust running out the top...
evanjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 3:51pm

and how could anyone forget the sleeve valve Willys-Knight?

i'm trying to dig up some info on the Willys-Knight and Sterns-Knight sleeve valve V8.. now that would be one wild motor...
evanjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 4:00pm
how about this real odd-ball...

the Packard Monobloc 12 - Straight 12 motor..
that's one heck of a crankshaft!

And the Buick Fireball 8 -- OHV Straight 8.
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 4:14pm
This is the truck the 702 GMC V12 was found in. I think the 6-71 Detroit was the other option for the heavy trucks.

Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

evanjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 4:15pm

how on earth did they fit all the motor in there? that's awesome!

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 5:13pm

I've heard that there is no substitute for cubic inches

Stan
evanjm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evanjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 5:23pm

wartsilla!

kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 5:27pm
Jeez, talk about MORE POWER!
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 5:35pm
I think the part number for the jeep adapter kit for that one at JC Whitney is going to be NLA. Wow!  Is it for a gen plant or a ship?
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 5:42pm
Those look like ship engines
Ed
cj2a lefty
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 5:49pm
What do you suppose that baby weighs?
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by evanjm evanjm wrote:

From what I can tell, they used them as stationary powerplants, but they also were offered in some of their largest trucks.. along with GMC's line of Big Block V6s...

wild stuff...

So....you want one? LOL Check it out, make sure you click on the photo/video page.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2011 at 6:22pm
Those gigantic engines are primarily for ships. Here's some dope from the article I saw on them.

Stan

Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm
Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm
The Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged two-stroke diesel engine is the most powerful and most efficient prime-mover in the world today. The Aioi Works of Japan 's Diesel United, Ltd built the first engines and is where some of these pictures were taken. It is available in 6 through 14 cylinder versions, all are inline engines. These engines were designed primarily for very large container ships. Ship owners like a single engine/single propeller design and the new generation of larger container ships needed a bigger engine to propel them. The cylinder bore is just under 38" and the stroke is just over 98". Each cylinder displaces 111,143 cubic inches (1820 liters) and produces 7780 horsepower. Total displacement comes out to 1,556,002 cubic inches (25,480 liters) for the fourteen cylinder version.

Some facts on the 14 cylinder version:

Total engine weight:
2300 tons (The crankshaft alone weighs 300 tons.)

Length:
89 feet

Height:
44 feet

Maximum power:
108,920 hp at 102 rpm

Maximum torque:
5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm

Fuel consumption at maximum power is 0.278 lbs per hp per hour (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption). Fuel consumption at maximum economy is 0.260 lbs/hp/hour. At maximum economy the engine exceeds 50% thermal efficiency. That is, more than 50% of the energy in the fuel in converted to motion.
For comparison, most automotive and small aircraft engines have BSFC figures in the 0.40-0.60 lbs/hp/hr range and 25-30% thermal efficiency range.
Even at its most efficient power setting, the big 14 consumes 1,660 gallons of heavy fuel oil per hour.

Chip Austin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chip Austin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2011 at 1:02pm
I have a complete early 60's GMC road tractor with a V12 in stock... sitting in my bone yard ,  I grabbed it about 10 years ago to just save the engine from getting scrapped.   4 cylinder heads, 4 exhaust manifolds, 2 intakes& carbs ....it's a BIG big big block .   This truck has a fuel tank that hold about 200 gallons... kinda tells you something ! It came to me as an off shoot of a machine shop project I did for a customer where I coupled (2) 4.3 Chev V6's together to make a V12.  ( long story about building a replica WW1 liberty V12 for a replica wood speed boat)    The whole truck w/ twin 6 could go to a good home real cheap if some body needs one, I didn't really have a need for it I just hated to see it junked . It's a pretty cool tid bit of the crazy things they use to try.... AND GAS WAS CHEAP !  

FYI they also made a 637ci  V8 version also... basically the GMC 478ci V6 with 2 more cylinders tacked on.  I have seen a few V12's kicking around in Walter Snow Fighters over the years but I have only seen 1 637 in a ex Air Force fire truck . 

A friend of mine has a saw mill powered by a Buick OHV straight 8... that thing sounds almost like music to me when he runs it.   

Chip 

Edited by Chip Austin - 09 Jan. 2011 at 1:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>