Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

STUCK ENGINE - WHAT TO DO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STUCK ENGINE - WHAT TO DO
    Posted: 18 Sep. 2011 at 12:36pm
Had a 48 in high school.  I'm now almost 60 and finally bought another good ol Jeep - a 51.  the motor is a flathead and is stuck.  have the head and pan off, appears some water or condensating in the cylinders.  working on getting it free.  appreciate your thoughts - forget this motor or is it worth the money to have overhauled.  Thank you for your thoughts  jeffb
Joe Frazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Frazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2011 at 1:18pm
If the block itself is in good shape I would think it would be a fine candidate for an overhaul. If
done correctly, a rebuilt engine will last years and provide you will excellent service and good times. I'm always amazed by the number of people that will cut corners on that part of a restoration and then must deal with letdowns and aggravations as a result! Take your time and
research engine shops in your area. Find out who works with older engines and knows them - really liking them isn't a bad plus either of course! Don't be afraid to to talk to local old car club
chapters etc. too as they know generally who is who and where best to go.

Best of luck with your new find!
Collecting any/all Kaiser/Frazer/JEEP literature/handouts/toys etc.
46 CJ2A
50 Jeepster
51 Pick-up
54 Willys Aero Hardtop
54 Kaiser Willys Darrin
56 Wagon
56 Factory Proto-type FC 170 Truck
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2011 at 1:26pm
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2011 at 2:31pm
Fill the cylinders with white vinegar and let it soak for a day. Then try to turn it gently a few times each day. You can use a 2x4 to tap on the top of each piston but don't get carried away with pounding on the piston. It should free up unless it is severely rusted. 

If the valves are stuck they need to have vinegar also. Don't force anything. 
Oggie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2011 at 3:53pm
I've heard transmission fluid will work - can anyone confirm?
munkjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2011 at 5:44pm
I like a 50/50 mix of Automatic Transmission Fluid and Brake Fluid .
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2011 at 7:54pm
ATF and turpentine , 50/50 has worked for me.  ALso it has not worked too..lol.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2011 at 10:15pm
The best way to get these unstuck with mininal damage is to dissassemble it one componant at a time. if the piston is stuck more than likely it isn't alone. Hopefully this engine is out of the Jeep and the flywheel is removed as it's ALOT easier. Drop the pan and dissconect all the crank bearing caps and remove the crank. Remove all the valve springs and remove the valves. Now you can work with each piston/valve individually. Also work the lifters that are down to make sure they are free. if you can't turn the cam over you may have to remove the distributor...
Don't get too exited and lube everything you can. I like the brakefluid/tranny fluid idea.
  I had a SuperSonic that was froze up..I mean EVERY component was frozen. I beat the pistons out through the bottom with a modified 4x4. I worked at it for about a week getting everything unstuck and only broke one piston. I honed the cylinders (they were FAR from perfect) I got some used rings and a used piston out of my pile of parts and reassebled the whole engine just to see if it would run.
 I had that engine in my plow Jeep for two years while I rebuilt the original plow Jeeps engine, oil pressure was 60 pds cold and never went below 20 no matter how much snow I pushed. She smoked a might but DAMN, that engine ran great. It's still my spare...Come to think of it I should go out and roll it over so it doesn't freeze up again.
CJ2A #10021 #34692 #58500

harve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2011 at 1:26am
PB BLASTER AWESOME STUFF, just give it some time to work its way down.
Jim Bow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Bow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2011 at 3:41am
PB Blaster or Kroil worked for me in the past on an old Chev 6.  
all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep. 2011 at 10:30am
search under my posts....it'll give ya some options if you tear it down..if leaving it whole id suggest atf/acetone....and time....but if super stuck all the atf/acetone soaking will lead to hitting hammer to wood, and either it comes loose, or tear the teeth off the timing gear.(because once the bottom end is loose,,usually the cam/valves wont...but search under my posts.(electrolysis and unsticking engine threads)
46 cj/06 lj/ and mb/2a/38 hybrid project
R Qualls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R Qualls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2011 at 1:02am
I poured marvel mystery oil in cylinders, let it sit for a day, then hooked it behind my other jeep.
1946 cj-2A x2, 1951 M38
1954 cj-3B converted to a MB
1955 m38a1 * NRA LIFE MEMBER *
 Post Reply Post Reply