Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My '47

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 51>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2022 at 10:08am
Dennis,
I have been worried that you would give up on this. I'm glad you didn't.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2022 at 9:34am
EXCELLENT news Dennis
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2022 at 9:33am
Started it up again yesterday and there is still oil pressure, so yay! My carburetor is needing a rebuild, a lot of out of round holes need sleeved, so before I go further with tuning it will wait until I can replace.  Just happy it built oil pressure and nothing else ( Knocking on wood) is wrong.

Remainder of the day was spent removing the transfer case and reseal where leaks developed. Will fill with gear lube later today after work.
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2022 at 7:56am
ClapShocked
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2022 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

That plunger wouldn't stop oil pressure, it only opens when the pump reaches a certain pressure that is adjusted by the spring tension.

Jim

At this point I figured it couldn't hurt trying another spring. This has been very frustrating.

Repacked the pump with Vaseline and also added some to the port on the input side of the block, Topped off the oil filter housing, poured some fuel down the carburetor and fired it up. Almost instant oil pressure and paranoid by every sound the engine was making.

Edited by berettajeep - 10 Sep. 2022 at 11:08pm
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2022 at 10:14pm
  That plunger wouldn't stop oil pressure, it only opens when the pump reaches a certain pressure that is adjusted by the spring tension.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2022 at 8:27pm
Bought myself a new oil pressure gauge this morning. I only installed the nylon tube to the block leaving the gauge disconnected. I removed the oil line feed to the filter housing and using a syringe, squeezed oil in the line until it was being pushed out the new nylon tube. Installed new gauge, reconnected oil line, added oil to housing and put the cap back on. Cranked over motor, still no pressure registering.
Found TDC on motor and removed oil pump. Removed relief valve retainer and the plunger did not freely fall out. Had to lightly tap it on the work bench. 🤔  When I put it together the plunger was moving freely. I also cannot recreate the plunger getting stuck. Going to try a different spring and clean the valve again. 

Using a zip tie I can stick in the oil pump feed port and get to clean oil, so 99% sure there is no blockage in the port. 

Edited by berettajeep - 10 Sep. 2022 at 10:39pm
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2022 at 9:10am
   I use an old oil pump that I removed the gear from and use a drill with a rod flattened on one end to turn it to test all my rebuilds. This way I make sure there are no leaks or problems before start up. You have to remember to prime the pump and turn it counter clockwise with the drill. Probably not necessary but I also turn the motor over by hand while the drill is pumping oil through the system.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2022 at 2:11am
  If everything is put together correctly with pre-lube, start the engine. If oil pressure is going to be 10 psi at idle, you may not see any at cranking speed. If nothing shows after 10-15 seconds, shut it down and look for a problem. If al is right (of course it is, right?), it will show up. Running for a few seconds with no oil pressure, if lubed properly at assembly, is not going to hurt anything. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep. 2022 at 12:38am
Filled pump before bolting to the block. Filled oil filer housing. Used a syringe to fill gauge port. Still no pressure.

Edited by berettajeep - 09 Sep. 2022 at 12:39am
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2022 at 7:47pm
Or weed sprayer. Same concept, sends pressurized oil thru the system. Guess weed sprayer and bug sprayer the same
Mike in AZ
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2022 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by outlw21 outlw21 wrote:

I use a bug sprayer modified to screw into a galley plug on the side of the block. Usually put in all the oil thru the sprayer.

Say now, I like that idea
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
outlw21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep. 2022 at 5:20pm
I use a bug sprayer modified to screw into a galley plug on the side of the block. Usually put in all the oil thru the sprayer.
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2022 at 8:01pm
I just filled my pump with oil & bolted it on, then once the engine was in place and in ready to go I removed one of the oil galley plugs & used a large syringe (available at farm stores) and injected oil until the galley was full. Put the plug back in, disconnected the coil wire & cranked it over until I saw pressure register on the gauge.  Assuming that you have prelube on the bearings it won't hurt anything, as there is no load on the engine to speak of.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2022 at 7:28pm
  While the block was down-side upwards and before i bolted the screen on, I poured some oil down the pump inlet into the pump. Once the engine was in the jeep, I started it. Almost instant oil pressure. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2022 at 6:31pm
Ordered gaskets and wheel cylinders last Monday hoping to get it by Friday with them being shipped 2 day air.  Should be here tomorrow Confused  Sun is out so I removed the car cover from my chassis to evict spiders and anything else that may have moved in.  LOL

Real question for those whom choose to read this thread, I know what I did ( more then once)   How did you prime your oiling system?  

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2022 at 9:40pm
Disassembled the oil pump and thoroughly cleaned out. There was some debris where the oil relief plunger sits. Maybe enough to keep it from opening? Guess I'll find out.
 Clearance between the lobe of the rotors is .010" ( .010" or less allowed ) Although on the high end,  I'm within specifications and that should have netted me some oil pressure.
 Outer rotor to pump body is .008" and not to exceed .012". Good there. Rotor cover is flat, I did this when I assembled the pump the first time. I double checked anyway.  With no gasket and the cover plate attached I cannot spin the rotor. Good there.
  I need to order all new gaskets as I've gone through all my spares so this will wait until those arrive.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2022 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by otto otto wrote:

Is the groove for the pin? I think I asked the same question some time ago. The answer was: no o-ring.

To me it looks like the grooved area is just left of where the cotter pin drops in.  Some one on another social media network sent me a link to Haines Garage's site where he shows a O-ring but he placed that one to the right of the cotter pin. ( Reference to my photo above)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 51>