Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My '47

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 51>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 12:23am
Knowing how these gremlins work, It will a simple fix and you will have to give yourself your own dope slap. My vote is the brake light switch.
uncamonkey
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 1:35am
Hopefully. The brake switch is newer, within the year. Either way it is annoying.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 2:26am
While the light is stuck on crack one of the bleeder valves and if the light goes off the trouble is the master cylinder.
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 4:56am
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

While the light is stuck on crack one of the bleeder valves and if the light goes off the trouble is the master cylinder.

Just walked by it and they are off now. I will have to do that when I see them on.  I actually thought this might be the problem. With me going to the beach, all the rain the last few months and my Willys just parked on the street I think the master cylinder is rusting up.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 6:53pm
My girlfriend just texted me they were back on. I am so glad my lights are LED otherwise the battery would be dead already.

When I get home I will disconnect the brake light switch. I do have a spare that has a broken contact, maybe I'll swap it in and zip tie the wire.

On a side note. Chipped my from tooth yesterday Have a 4 pm appointment for an evaluation today. Always something!
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 3:09pm
Swapped in the other brake light switch and got my tooth fixed last night. Big smile

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:13pm
Every time I have looked the brake lights have been off and nobody is texting me, so I'm hoping it was the brake switch malfunctioning.

Of course I'll probably go home today and they will be on
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 12:14am
Glad to hear you got it working. let's hope the switch was the problem, a lot easier than messing with a master cylinder and a lot cheaper too.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:19am
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

Glad to hear you got it working. let's hope the switch was the problem, a lot easier than messing with a master cylinder and a lot cheaper too.

Jim

Thanks and this is true!

Although the master cylinder maybe the problem. Being under the Jeep and with how wet it is out here plus I have driven on the beach a few times ( And drove through 2 feet high ocean water ) I wouldn't doubt it if  there is rust build up on the master cylinder where the push rod goes through. 

I have prepared myself for this. LOL
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 1:38am
My next thought was to go to the master cylinder and the push rod adjustment but hopefully you have it figured out.
uncamonkey
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 3:29am
Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

My next thought was to go to the master cylinder and the push rod adjustment but hopefully you have it figured out.

Think I am going to hit everything with penetrating oil just to be prepared! LOLConfused
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2017 at 11:34pm
Ever since the Oregon spring fling I have been amazed at how quiet others 2A's are compared to mine.

I am trying to fix that by putting a extra washer on one body mount bolt near a bolt in the frame that the body rested on. ( Master cylinder dual reservoir kit mounting bracket.) I now have a little more gap there.

I also spliced a new fuel line hose in half and put them behind the fender to frame mounting bolts. I started the Jeep up and it sounded slightly quieter to me inside. I'll drive it later to see if it is an improvement. 
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 1:01am
Was bored so I decided to adjust the valves on the current motor in my Jeep.

Took off the fender. Removed the side cover plate and checked them. Made some adjustments when I noticed the last valve. Looks like it is bent slightly. I don't see any cracks in it. Weird. I have to edit the photos.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 1:06am

It was the only loose spring. I was able to see both retainers are still there.
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 1:29am
Witch one is bent, the spring on the right looks a little strange.
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 1:50am
To me looks like the last spring is bent.....the gap between the springs should look the same. I'd check the bottom washer to make sure the hole didn't get enlarged allowing the spring to shift to one side. Joe wadoyado
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 3:25am
I'd say that spring is just shot - maybe broken near the top. The other one doesn't look so good either - the three "close" coils are stacked, they should have some space.  

I have the tool to check spring pressure, and I've never found a used spring in a Willys Go-Devil that met the minimum spec. I don't even check them anymore - just replace them.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 7:49am
Originally posted by leecarr leecarr wrote:

Witch one is bent, the spring on the right looks a little strange.

The one one the right.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 51>