Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My '47

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 51>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2019 at 2:45pm
It was nice enough for the last day of the year I decided to replace the fuel float.  I removed the drivers side seat frame to have better access. I remove the sending unit and the float in the tank looked fine, only had a small amount of fuel in it. The sending unit not longer moved freely and I didn't want to be playing with fuel anymore. So I put it all back together.

I like to call that practice taking the Willys apart or how I keep the threads on my bolts clean LOL

It was nice to work on the Willys but the fuel gauge still doesn't work, not that it is a big deal. I needed to replace the sending unit gasket anyway.

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2019 at 5:02pm
Did you swing the float and adjust the arch before installing it? Most times you have to adjust the arm to get it to swing the full range empty to full.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2019 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Did you swing the float and adjust the arch before installing it? Most times you have to adjust the arm to get it to swing the full range empty to full.

I did not Mark.  This was a working sending unit for roughly 5 years before it just stopped a few months ago.  I just figured the float split and was full of fuel, that is why I only bought the replacement float.

I see there is a recent post about a brass float and will probably go that route and replace the whole sending unit. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2019 at 11:12pm
Ok I wasn't sure. I see guys who just install a fuel sending unit as received and never consider they might need a little tweaking to have e the empty to full swing match the height of the tank.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan. 2019 at 11:46pm
Mark’s talking about me Dennis. I’d do that. It might tell you to do something like that in the instructions but who reads those.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 5:54am
After work I worked on the motor some more. Took the rear main cap off, nervously, to install the dowels and bolts. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 5:56am
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

Mark’s talking about me Dennis. I’d do that. It might tell you to do something like that in the instructions but who reads those.

I did it too when I install it 5 years ago but got lucky it worked fine LOL
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2019 at 6:02am
After installing the dowels and bolts, I put the cap back on and then the oil pan.  I'll probably have to take it back off later, when it is in the Jeep leaking from the rear main .
I then added some JB weld to my air cleaner. Had a small hole in it. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 3:52am
Been a nice 55 degrees and sunny both days this weekend. I washed the slime that is growing from the constant rain. LOLCry

Today I replaced my ammo can center console with a smaller one. Found it at a rummage sale. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 3:58am
Here is what I started with. I've always wanted to put a smaller ammo can in but could never find one going to antique stores. The one's I did find had ridicules prices attached.  So I used this one I bought for $5. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 5:54am
When I originally installed this ammo can, I drilled 4 holes and bolted it to the tub. 1 bolt is in the toolbox and the other 3 through the floor. The front left corner had 2 pieces of angle iron bolted together underneath it to support it. I mention this because I did something stupid. Angry 

I removed the bolt in the tool box first. The two rear bolts I had to climb underneath the tub. This left the front left corner bolt, the one sitting on both pieces angle iron. The way the angle iron was, I did not have access to the nut. I removed the fuel tank when I originally put the ammo box in. 

Instead of removing the fuel tank this time, I turned the ammo box. What I didn't pay attention too is how close they were.

I proceed to do this.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 5:59am
Dumb move on my part. I'm glad I didn't puncture it. 

Here is what I eventually ended at. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 6:00am
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 6:10am
Ouch on the new ding... but the new can fits sweet Thumbs Up

Edited by mbullism - 14 Jan. 2019 at 6:12am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2019 at 10:59am
I have the same can at home. Now I know what to do with it! Nice! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 2:08am
Bought 2 Parts Jeeps couple days ago.  Still need to get them to my hut. One has tags on it still and I was told a title. It is still being searched for. Photos soon. 

These will sacrifice themselves of what little useable parts are left. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2019 at 10:19pm
Of the parts that I was able to bring home already is a one piece tie rod to replace the two piece in mine. 
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2019 at 5:57am
Dennis,
Jeeps will fit inside a U-Haul 6x12 trailer, it’s much cheaper to rent than their car hauler.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3940414243 51>