Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Having my cake and eating it too

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2012 at 4:07pm
July 2008

After a little checking of old threads I discovered my recollection of the timeline of what happened when is slightly off. Seems I started the so called 'bodywork' in July. Not that it matters for telling a story because who would be the wiser right? I just need to clarify for my own sanity. 

So removal of the aluminum panels reveals a body in basically the same shape the rest of the vehicle...  Sad! However the entire tub did have two things going for it. It was attached to the frame and was holding together. Good enough for me at this moment, so it's going to get a coat of paint. 

Since people think this is a military jeep, figured I might as well have some fun and give it an Olive Drab paint job. However after I find out how much the real deal Olive Drab is selling for per quart, I decide that maybe I won't paint it that color. 

I Instead get this bright idea to have the local paint store tint some primer close to Olive Drab. This would give me the all one color jeep I was looking for, plus it would allow for easier body repairs down the road. 

Fortunately some very smart people here on the 2A page discouraged that idea because primer alone is not a very good protector. M38mike suggested to paint it with Rustoleum's Dark Olive. Perfect! I had used Rustoleum on a utility trailer I built a couple years prior, It was holding up well and went on easy enough with my spray gun... For a neophyte painter.

Although there was one slight problem. I couldn't find "Dark Olive" anywhere. I must have visited a dozen stores and nothing. Nobody had even heard of the color. Confused

Since I couldn't find that paint I had another one of my 'brilliant ideas'. Cool A buddy had given me a couple quarts of some very light gray automotive gray. Figured I would take it to the paint store and have them re-tint it to something close to a Olive Drab. 

To make a long story really short... I did and they did. Well I should say they tried. LOL 

Edited by Scott R - 03 Jan. 2012 at 4:16pm
Michigan Flat Fender Club on Facebook

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2012 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by kilroy kilroy wrote:

I'm in... Thumbs Up
Maybe I'd call it "Running Rusto" over here...
Not really THAT bad...
I like the patina.

Hey Kilroy, welcome to the club. Smile

Are you saying MINE is not really that bad? If so lets just say it photographed well. Wink 

As far as the patina goes... When I think of 'patina' I think of 'aged' original paint. In reality, that's not case here. After the aluminum panels were put on, they painted the entire jeep red, which was nowhere near the same color red as the original Luzon red. 

As you can see that paint didn't stick to the aluminum at all and disappeared in large sections on the rest of the Jeep. In person it looked more like somebody barfed a jeep. Dead

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2012 at 5:12pm
July / August 2008

With my re-tinted paint costing no more that cost of tinting I'm ready to tackle painting. 

First thing I do is remove as much extra from the Jeep as possible. Seats, gas tank, windshield, hood, tailgate, wheels, etc. were are all removed. With the jeep sitting in my yard, on jack stands, I spent an entire day under a face mask and respirator, in the sun, hitting the entire body with my angle grinder using brush wire cup. 

The next day I washed down the jeep and gave it a second cleaning with a cloth and solvent just to make sure it was good for the primer coat. 

Now I had the task of taping off everything I didn't remove such as the steering wheel, gauges, shift levers, head lights, tail lights and the engine compartment. 

With that all set I gave everything a coat of Red oxide primer. Once the primer had dried for the recommended period it was time to lay down some color. 

Before I knew it I officially had an all one color jeep (including the wheels) and it looked good. The weather was beautiful so let it set out side overnight on the stands. 

Next morning I look out the kitchen window and their sits my pride and joy. I just painted my first car and I was proud of that fact but I wasn't happy. The color was just..... friggen ugly! Unhappy

I put the wheels back on and roll it into the barn to contemplate my next move. Confused

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2012 at 5:19pm
I think mine is more of a 20x20x20.
Twenty feet away, at twenty miles per hour and don't look at it for more than twenty seconds...
Following this rule, mine looks pretty good.
My '47 has a lot of L.D.A. (long distance appeal) "L.D.A." applies to many things in life... Wink
Scott,
 I wish mine looked as good as yours!
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2012 at 4:28am
if you cover one eye and close the other one it look good.LOLLOL
dennisBeerBeer
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2012 at 4:31pm
LOL You guys are funny!

July / August 2008

My paint job turn out good. What a huge difference it made having it all one color, even with all the rust holes. Just wish the color wasn't so.... Blah! Broken Heart

Since all the hard prep work is already done I decide that it wouldn't be that big of a deal to give it another coat of paint... One of a more pleasing color. So I'm back on the hunt for the elusive Rustoleum Dark Olive. 

My search takes me to a small town ACE Hardware store and I alter my strategy from do you have this color to, can you order it. I get the guy responsible for the paint department and tell him what I'm looking for. He tells me he'll see what he can do and goes to make a couple phone calls. I meander around the store but not venturing out of sight of the paint isle, as I wait to see what the result of his call to paint gods will reveal. 

He finally comes out of the mysterious back room and says: That's a color I can get, how much do you want?  "Two quarts" I quickly respond. Although I'm a little skeptical. This was too easy. So I ask how much is this special order going to cost me? He say no special order, it will come with the regular shipment on Tuesday. Shocked

"OK, great" I say. "See you Tuesday" Big smile

When I show up on Tuesday he's keeping thy prized booty in the back room so it doesn't get sold off the shelf before I get there. He comes out with three quarts. "How many did you want?" he ask. I respond with "two". He hands me the two quarts and takes the third and puts it on an empty spot on the paint shelf. 

Side story: About a year after this I went back to that store in need another quart, just hoping that the third quart was still sitting on that shelf. To my surprise not only was there a quart sitting in that same spot but it now had a friend. There were two quarts of Dark Olive. Cool, I thought, they made it part of their regular stock. Thumbs Up

With the Dark Olive in my possession I wasted no time in giving the jeep and it's goodies, such as the windshield frames, hood, tailgate and wheels a coat. 

Here is a pic, of it's good side, about a month and a half after the Dark Olive application. 

Edited by Scott R - 05 Jan. 2012 at 9:18pm

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2012 at 5:43pm
September 2008

As I was saying before I got this whole timeline thing screwed up, I made my first big order to Walcks which mostly included brake parts. 

The brake job actually started several months before when I took the master cylinder off. At first sight it looked hopeless. The inside of the reservoir looked more like a war zone with much more rust than was accumulated on the outside. With the MC totally disassembled I took it to my next door neighbor, Mark, who is a big car guy to get his opinion. Mark gave it a quick inspection but quickly sent me back home with his hand held sandblaster to clean it up. (After using his sandblaster I bought my own at Harbor Freight. Not as nice as his but it works).

After the sandblasting it was looking a heck of a lot more promising. With this done I'm back over to Mark's. He looks and it and gives a slight nod of approval... That is until he looks inside the bore of cylinder, then makes one of those"I don't know about this" faces. I have yet to see Mark back down from a challenge so he proceeds to get out this fancy pneumatic tool, puts a small hone in it and we go over to his parts washer. He starts to hone the bore while I hold the hose with cleaning solvent spilling out, just in the right spot. 

Mark hone's the bore for a minute or two and takes a look inside. Then goes right back to more honing. He repeated that process a few more time before proclaiming it the best he can do. 

So with the Walck's order, I took a chance, rolled the dice and order the rebuild kit for the MC. 

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
shakyshot View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakyshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2012 at 6:02pm
Oh the suspense is killing me!  Big smile
1947 CJ-2A #103586 "Les"
1947 Bantam T3C Hiawatha "Moore"

Hayes Family CJ-2A
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan. 2012 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by shakyshot shakyshot wrote:

Oh the suspense is killing me!  Big smile

Sorry the final verdict on the rebuilt MC won't be revealed for a more few post yet. Wink 

September 2008

Shortly after my parts from Walcks arrived, I proceeded to tackle the brakes using this PDF as my Jeep brake rebuild bible. 

http://www.caloundracity.asn.au/Jeep/Downloads/Older_Jeep_Brakes101_1.pdf

The MC went together without a hitch and gave it a quick coat of Rustoleum black, to protect it and make it look spiffy. With that done I moved onto the wheels. I started with the fronts because after reading quite a few accounts from my fellow 2A page members regarding their adventures with rear drum removal, I knew I was in for a real chore. 

With the front cylinders replaced I took a deep breath and turned my attention to the rears. Now if you have been following along with every entry so far, it should be apparent to you by now that I'm a real cheap a__. Below is another example of my cost-conscious ways… A pic of the drum removal tool that I made. I'm not going to say it popped them right off with ease but it did work. 

In retrospect I started this whole brake job backwards. I should have torn into it fully before ordering parts. The only parts I ordered for the wheels were the cylinders. No springs or shoes. The planets must have been in perfect alignment because all the shoes still had plenty of life in them and none of the springs were broken. In fact it looked as though a brake job had just been done.... Using miles as the measurement, not time. 

With the rebuilt master cylinder and new the wheel cylinders installed, I now had the task of replacing the lines.  All the soft lines were bad and the replacements also came from Walcks. As for the steel lines I had done some brake line work in the past so I already had the tools to cut, bend and double flare. I just bought bulk at the local auto parts store. Just about every piece of hard line was bad. The single exception was the S line on the driver’s side. By time I was done with the Jeep I had so much brake line fabricating under my belt now, I even took a crack at making my own S line for the other side. Took two tries but I did it. Smile

My homemade drum removal tool being used with an impact. 

Edited by Scott R - 05 Jan. 2012 at 9:07pm

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2012 at 1:55pm

September 2008

With the entire brake system finally intact it was time to add some brake fluid and bleed the system. If I remember correctly I had one fitting that just wouldn’t seat right and produced a leak. I simply did a re-flair of the line and it was all set. Other than that everything checked out fine.

Revisiting the brake bible I downloaded, it was time to adjusting everything. First was to set the foot pedal free play at the MC… Check! Next was to jack each wheel and adjust the shoes. At that point it became instantly crystal clear why guys talked so much about brake adjustment tools. Care to take a guess who didn’t own any of these “special” tools? 

For those that have been through this wonderful task of CJ-2A brake adjustment will know how woefully inadequate plane ole standard wrenches are at this assignment. Especially on the fronts.

For those that HAVE NOT yet attempted a 2A brake adjustment, I’m sure it’s a relatively painless task… That is if you own the right tools. Before even attempting this job, do yourself a favor and either; find a friend that will loan you these tools, buy them off ePay or fabricate them yourself. Your knuckles with thank you and you just might stave off an early retirement to the funny farm. Personally I plan on making my own when I need to adjust brakes again. I already bought the right size box end wrench at a garage sale, that I'll bend and grind into the right configuration. As for the 3/16” Snap-On tool that Snap-On no longer makes, I have a plan for that too.Wink

Here is a pic of the necessary tools. From Derek Eddlestone on the G503 forum.

After many choice words and some minor blood loss, I was actually able to adjust the brakes with standard open end wrenches (spanners for those on the other side of the pond) and one adjustable wrench. With that ordeal behind me it was time for the big test. I drove it up the drive way, reached about 20 mph and hit the brakes… HOLY $#!T IT STOPPED! Not only did it stop but all four tires locked up in the dirt. The second time this jeep almost brought me to tears. Of joy that is. Big smile

For Shaky. This is not the end of the brake story. Stay tuned.Wink

Edited by Scott R - 06 Jan. 2012 at 1:57pm

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2012 at 2:19pm

September 2008

It runs good. It stops and it actually looks decent. This was becoming more fun by the minute.

I put the inner windshield together with the new glass. After reading a few accounts of windshield assembly, here on the 2A Page, I expected a bigger fight but it went together without much trouble. At this point I believe trouble is all relative. Maybe it wasn’t ‘that’ easy but next to the other tribulations I’ve had with this jeep, it was.

Trouble did rear its ugly head but I wouldn’t notice until later. Sliding the inner frame into the outer I had to give it a couple taps with a rubber mallet to coax it along. That must have been when I cracked the glass. When my cousin saw that he asked if I wanted him cut a new piece? Told him it’s a small crack in the corner, I can live with it for now.

When I got this jeep the outer frame lacked the stops that hold the inner frame. It was quite odd too that I couldn't even find any signs they ever existed on this frame. Confused I had made a post here looking for pics and measurements of these so I could fabricate my own. Low contacted me saying he had some of these stops that he would send me. I was so blown away by his generosity.

I welded on the stops from Low before painting here is a pic.

To complete the military look, I wanted to include invasion stars and hood numbers. (which you can see in a pic a few post above) To do this I made stencils using Corel Draw, Rosin paper (which is a heavy paper mostly used under hardwood floor installation) and a #11 Exacto blade. Once these were made I used stencil adhesive to stick them in place and shot it with flat white. 

I even took the time to make a stencil for the jeep specs that appear on passenger side. Guess I did this to draw attention away from how rough the passenger side metal was. Smile

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2012 at 1:02pm

September 2008

With the paint barely dry on the stencils and a very fresh brake job, I put my jeep in a parade.

My number one hobby for the past 25 or so years has been building and flying radio controlled airplanes. The flying club I belong to had put a float in the local parade the previous two years. We do this to promote the club and act like proud first graders with show and tell. The parade is always fun as kids and adults alike enjoy seeing the planes, giving us a lot of nice compliments. We’ve even taken first place for best float. 

With the recent evolution of my Jeep and the fact that I’m the one that organizes this parade deal for the club, I decided to use the Jeep to pull the float this year. All in spite of being worried something would happen during the parade. With this Jeep odds were it would likely quit at the most inopportune time and not restart. Or I was afraid it would overheat like the old truck I saw the previous year at this parade. Dead

With overheating being a concern I didn’t want a couple burps of coolant out the overflow on to the ground to send me into cardiac arrest. So I added an overflow bottle.

To make an overflow bottle I discovered a one quart bottle, that gear lube comes in, was a great fit. Was almost perfect sitting on the frame in the space between the radiator and fender. Since most of my overflow tube was missing, all I had to do was add a piece of hose and route it to the bottle. Now there would be no second guessing; if I was leaving a trail of coolant, I had trouble.

Luckily the little Jeep made the trip without as much as a hiccup. In four wheel low it kept a perfect parade pace at idle. I could have easily got out and walked beside it and handed out flyers with my fellow club members. Several people told me along the way something I’d never heard before: “Cool Jeep”. Big smile

This parade would be another turning point for my jeep and to explain this I need to spin into a side story. This particular parade is set up so the starting point and where it ends are over a mile apart. The first year doing this parade we had not considered this. When the parade was over we found ourselves on the opposite side of town from where we parked, so we had to tow the whole thing back to the assembly area to disassemble it. We quickly learned this wasn’t such a good idea. With the parade over and a whole bunch of people now trying to drive home, here we were, on the roads not wanting to pull it not much faster than walking speed. It became quite scary actually when you consider how much money is hanging on that float.

Now when we do this parade we have guys put their planes together and secure them to the float at the assembly area. Then those that will be in the parade too drive to where the parade ends and park their cars. Those guys are then are shuttled back to the set up area before the parade starts.

Since I flat towed my Jeep to the parade and also had planes to display; once my planes were assembled, I simply towed the Jeep to the parade ending area. I parked the truck, unhooked the Jeep and shuttled me and three other guys back to the float. This was the very first time I had ever driven this Jeep on the road. Even though it wasn’t exactly legal. Embarrassed

Not sure why I had to explain the whole story why I drove my Jeep on the road just to say; I had a taste of it and now wanted to make it road worthy? Big smile

Edited by Scott R - 09 Jan. 2012 at 1:21pm

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2012 at 2:04pm

September 2008

When the parade was over I loaded everything, hooked up my jeep and towed home, which was about a 20 mile journey. During the trip home I had noticed something odd in the way it pulled. After getting home, a touch to the hot drums confirmed my suspicions. I put the Jeep on jack stands to find I couldn't spin the front wheels by hand. The brakes were hanging up. The rears on the other hand were just fine. After letting it sit for about 2-3 hours all was fine, the wheels spun with no problem.

Frustrated because I thought I did everything right on the brake job. I started a thread looking for help. After posting my dilemma, I was getting all kinds of suggestions which included heat build up at the MC, brake shoes on backwards, air in the lines and pedal push rod not adjusted properly.

Considering the careful steps I took in this rebuild and the fact that it was normal after a couple hours sitting, figured heat build up was the most likely candidate, so I concentrated my efforts there. My jeep did have a master cylinder heat shield in place but it had seen much better days so I took it off and straightened it. Another likely suspect was the line going from the MC to the front. Many of the lines I replaced were not original to the jeep and this was one of them so it did not proved the best example to follow. I rerouted this line to get it away from the exhaust.

Figuring my problem was solved, a few days later I drove the jeep around the property to trim branches and do other odd jobs. When I parked it for the day I jacked up the front, just to make sure all was good, only to find the shoes were starting to hang up again. It was back to the thread I had started to get more input from the 2A Page brain trust.

After a few back and fourth post with members it was Terry that suggested an easy test. He said to remove the MC filler cap and press the brake pedal by hand. When the pedal is released I should see fluid squirt up into the reservoir. This will be fluid coming out of the equalizing port as the primary cup moves forward.

Doing Terry’s test I could not detect fluid coming back into the reservoir. I wasn’t even sure how noticeable this will be. With not many options available I removed the MC, took it completely apart and ran a wire thru that little equalizing port.

Here is a pic inside the MC. The equalizing port is #2. Pic from G503 

After putting the MC back together and reinstalling it on the jeep, I filled it with fluid and bled the system one more time. Once that was complete I did Terry’s test again. Now I know what fluid coming up into the reservoir looks like. It literally jumps a few inches above the reservoir like a tiny Old Faithful.

Truth be told… There very likely could have been something clogging that equalizing port. It’s also quite possible I assembled the MC incorrectly the first time, I just don’t know. Regardless, my rebuilt master cylinder has been working great ever since. [Knocking on wood]

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2012 at 5:38pm

September 2008

As mentioned a couple post previous, I now had a taste of driving it on the road albeit a short taste and now for the first time I had thoughts of making this a road worthy Jeep. Something I had not considered before.

To make this happen I would need to do a few things and one of the first things I considered is getting some rear view mirrors. If we take close up look of the side mirror that came on it, it’s easy it wasn’t going to work in that condition. Not only was it all bent up but the mirror was completely missing.

Recent success on this Jeep has me felling pretty confident in my repair/fabricating skills. I took the arm of the old mirror and with my torch was able to straighten it out fairly well. Some minor dents still existed that I couldn’t work out. To fill the dents I wasn’t sure how body filler would hold up so filled them with braze. Once I got a good build up of braze I ground it down with a flap wheel on my angle grinder. Filling and grinding a couple more times produced decent results. Not perfect, but decent. As for the mirror I cleaned up the frame, gave it a shot of the Dark Olive and turned it over to my cousin. He did an excellent job cutting a round piece of mirror and gluing it in place.

Here is a pic of the final results.

Now I wasn’t sure the legality of an inside review mirror being necessary or not but I wasn’t about to test it and go without. The old mirror that came with the Jeep was completely shot and I don’t think it was original anyhow. As luck would have it I found a “vintage” rearview mirror at a garage sale. Using pictures of Sean’s reproduction mirror bracket as a guide, http://www.cj-2a.com/for_sale/repro_parts/mirror_bracket/index.html I fabricated a bracket to mount my garage sale mirror to the inner frame. Viola I had a rear view mirror.

Here is my version of the bracket. The mirror had an arm attached so I fabricated the bracket to hold that arm. 

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
Jeeper71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeper71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2012 at 7:42pm
Neat idea on the mirror, not to mention it's a wider mirror...will this affect the view forward?

Restores Coleman Gas Lanterns and Stoves.
Windmill/well pump hobbiest. (Heller Aller, Aermotor).

1946 CJ2A, basket case status.
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2012 at 8:24pm
In that pic I have the mirror pulled down quite a bit to get a view of the bracket. When it's up where it belongs not much lower than the windshield frame and doesn't obstruct any more than the top of the frame does. Which is an obstruction itself when your 6'2". Smile

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
Jeeper71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeper71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2012 at 8:30pm
I was wondering, were about the same height so I know what you mean. (6'3")

Restores Coleman Gas Lanterns and Stoves.
Windmill/well pump hobbiest. (Heller Aller, Aermotor).

1946 CJ2A, basket case status.
Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2012 at 4:22pm

October 2008

I finally had enough of this Jeep starting only when IT wanted, which seemed like hardly ever, and decided it was time to tackle a carburetor rebuild.  Before this, my only experience with tearing into a carb, was replacing a float in a lawn mower.

Just like the brake rebuild, I had another extensive online rebuild guide at my disposal. This time for the Carter W/O. http://www.mightymo.org/Proj_Carter_WO_Rebuild.html#In%20the%20beginning

Doing some reading here on the 2A Page I came across a highly recommended carb rebuild kit and supplier. When I went to place the order for the “preferred kit”, they were out and had no idea when they would be getting more in. Not only that… They were not sure if the maker was even manufacturing it any more. So I went ahead and ordered the next best kit they had available. Unhappy

A few days later when the kit arrived I tore into my carb rebuild. Now this story could end right here with me saying the rebuild went fine and it the carb works perfectly, but NOOOOO.

The rebuild kit that came would be my first, and last if I can help it, experience with Omix Ada. About half the parts in the kit were useless because they apparently were for a different carb because they did not fit anywhere on my Carter W/O. Then, when I got the whole thing back together and on the Jeep, I had to take it back apart and re-install the old needle and seat because the “new” one would not seat no matter what.

Fortunately the accelerator pump parts in the kit fit and worked because that was the element, as I would come to learn later, was causing my pre-rebuild issues.

Other than the crap rebuild kit, the rest of the rebuild went fine. Probably the smartest thing I did during this whole rebuild was print the diagram of the metering tool in that link and turn it over to a buddy to have him make a tool for me.

The carb rebuild was a success, making a marked improvement in how the Jeep started and ran. However my starting issues didn’t quite disappear. 

Carb before the rebuild. 

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>