Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fort Holabird

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
V8 Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fort Holabird
    Posted: 03 May 2017 at 4:41pm
John, there was a discussion about flying the Star & Stripes on this forum awhile back, i have my 3 flags flying at my house [ Star & Stripes, Pow Mia, Army ] for all that served and the ones that did not make it home. Agree with you about the Fort Holabird flag incident, those officers had big heads and they ruled. It is neat that you have those service flags & fly them. Yes, there is flag ethics, that was the discussion on the  last post but no one complained about the Cubans flying Cuban flags in Florida or the Mexicans flying there flags at home or on there cars just american people flying there flags wrong on there cars, at least they were flying the American flag.
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 1:31pm
To me interesting. A friends father sort of vanished in the mid Viet Nam era. he was an electronics guy in the USAF.
He never told us what was going on.
uncamonkey
V8 Willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V8 Willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 6:58am
This post is very interesting to me as I was stationed there for schooling for four months in the winter of 1966. Fort Holabird was very busy during this time with all different types of intelligence schooling for the Vietnam War. Fort Holabird was better known as USAINTS and the majority of the classmates were named SPOOKS. It was highly guarded with all the top secret documents. Thanks guys, reading this brought back a lot of memories of the Fort, Baltimore, Dundalk and that stinking ditch. There is a website about Fort Holabird where veterans talk about the time they were there if you are interested. Ray
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 3:08am
Originally posted by OldJeepBob OldJeepBob wrote:

I was at Fort Holabird in '63-'64 as a newly married butter bar at the Intelligence School's Counterintelligence course.  Had no knowledge of the history or interest (remember: newly married).  I was there when Kennedy was shot.  One of my classmates spontaneously lowered the flag to half staff, without orders to do so.  The post commander was going to court martial him until cooler heads explained that he would be on the front page of the Baltimore Sun the next morning, waving his career goodbye.     OldJeepBob

Half mast was the correct place for it to be. The officer didn't know what he was doing other than he felt he should give the order. Screw the newspapers. I hope the Commander got the proper Dope Slap.
I used to do flag raisings at school and in the scouts. It bothers me to see a flag hung in an incorrect manner or somebody that doesn't know how to fold a flag.
I was never in the service but I know how to fly the flag.
My 2 large flags are my uncles memorial flag and my fathers. A 48 star and a 50 star. I fly smaller flags when needed.

Edited by Unkamonkey - 03 May 2017 at 3:20am
uncamonkey
OldJeepBob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldJeepBob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 2:54am
I was at Fort Holabird in '63-'64 as a newly married butter bar at the Intelligence School's Counterintelligence course.  Had no knowledge of the history or interest (remember: newly married).  I was there when Kennedy was shot.  One of my classmates spontaneously lowered the flag to half staff, without orders to do so.  The post commander was going to court martial him until cooler heads explained that he would be on the front page of the Baltimore Sun the next morning, waving his career goodbye.     OldJeepBob

REPS
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2012 at 9:49pm
dirtmonkey..... my pleasure! from 1999 till this past may ive been living looking at my rust buckets or projects under construction.  holding on to my sanity by the people with complete 2a's and their videos and photos. i'm just trying to return the favor.
 thanks buddy!!!
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
Dirtmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2012 at 9:34pm
Ok, I read the beginning of this post the other day... thinking how awesome that would be to drive the CJ up those... now.. thanks to Mike... Im friggin JEALOUS!!!!!

Awesome Mike! Thanks for letting me live vicariously through your video!
Current: '48 CJ2A #188461, '97 Jeep TJ, 2010 JK Unlimited (wife's), and a '97 Jeep Cherokee
Sold: '71 CJ5, '61 Willys Wagon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2012 at 9:22pm
lol Thanks bro!!

the jeep with the wench and bumpers is a $100,000.00 rubicon i sold/built for the guy driving it. he's now a very good close friend.
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2012 at 9:14pm
THIS IS TRAILS RD, YOU CAN HERE ME GUIDING AND SPOTTING

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
BOWJA01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOWJA01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2012 at 9:08pm

Just watched the vids, and Mike you have proven, yet again, that you are, in fact, the man!

Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2012 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by Jeeper71 Jeeper71 wrote:

Your Youtube vid was blocked for content?

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2012 at 8:49pm
Thumbs Up WINNER!!!!!! Thumbs Up
Clap
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

Jeeper71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeper71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2012 at 8:41pm
Your Youtube vid was blocked for content?

Restores Coleman Gas Lanterns and Stoves.
Windmill/well pump hobbiest. (Heller Aller, Aermotor).

1946 CJ2A, basket case status.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2012 at 8:28pm
this is my deck to trails rd.

this is the length of the trail. pin to pin.

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2012 at 8:12pm
Brian, Matt. thanks guys! I just made a post on Facebook that this Wed. we're heading to Trails Rd. I'm taking the willys..........

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan. 2012 at 7:25pm
Coolest thing I've seen in awhile!!!
Maker of the Reedkini
buckshot View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2012 at 9:04pm
Way to go Mike !
Brian in Tyler
'46 CJ-2A #14883
M416 Trailer
1938 Plymouth Pick-Up
2008 HEMI Rubicon Unlimited
2008 JK Unlimited
My Jeep photos at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113017572186775733159/ForumPhotos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2012 at 7:22pm
That's awesome! I still have a big smile in my face and mud on the jeep, along with a few new scratches that I'm very proud of!
1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>