Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PTO Power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdmeltdown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PTO Power
    Posted: 20 Jan. 2012 at 5:42am
So my junkyard jeep had a PTO Ramsey winch when I got it and in the course of rebuilding my Jeep, it got rebuilt too. I had to have a machine shop fabricate the entire drive line ontop of replacing all the seals, etc. The only thing I have done with the winch since I put it back on was spool on the new cable. I haven't found or talked to anyone younger than my dad that has even seen an operational one of these operating.....so all you younger guys out there can probably imagine my reluctancy when I got this call this week from a friend of mine.

"Hey, can you help me out?....I'm over here on a well site in east Texas doing some work and I got this tractor stuck on the back side of the well pad. You are the only person I know with a winch. It's a 4wd Kubota and it's really stuck. The back axle is on the ground."

After I drove probably 60 miles to where he was, which mind you is the furthest I've driven since I rebuilt my jeep, this is what was waiting for me;

'70 v6 CJ5
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2012 at 8:07am
So?  Did you get him out?  I would have dropped the brush hog and used the bucket to lever myself out.  Been there, done that.  Or, with a chain on the bucket, the bucket could be curled to winch himself out if there was something to fix the chain to.

I have similar rig, Jap built Ford.  Also, blocks/planks under bucket would allow bucket to be used to raise the front axle.  Hydraulic arms on the 3 point hitch can also be raised to max height and then planks/blocks placed under arms and the arms should have enough power to lift rear axle.  In the 18 years i have had my rig I have used all of these methods and more.  With the back hoe attached you have even more options.

It is a piece of cake if you are 1500 miles away like me, the Monday morning quarterback.LOL

Edited by ralf - 20 Jan. 2012 at 8:29am
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
 Post Reply Post Reply