Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free- wheeling Warn Hubs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tofamc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tofamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free- wheeling Warn Hubs
    Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 5:33pm
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 5:17pm
Dave
44 Willys MB
tofamc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tofamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2017 at 2:29pm
Hi guys.
I'm very happy because I received mine. Look like First model.
I will now polish them.
Does anyone know if someone made a perfect copy of instruction paper?

trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2006 at 6:03pm
I'd be interested in why they changed the design, Because they are identical internally. Maybe the later larger ones looked stronger? I'm not surprised Warn Industries took off as a business as the quality of these hubs and the convenient box are great ideas
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2006 at 4:45pm
The picture was from Herm and not mine. These are an NOS set he has. He also has an NOS WARN 8000lb Winch and a Early NOS Warn Trac-Loc 19 spline D44 locker to name a few.
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
ricksslatts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricksslatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2006 at 4:20pm
Trader Reed, thanks for the picts...your bantam serial number was not too far off from mine...
Rick
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2006 at 4:18pm
Art,

You've got the sweet early ones with the waffle design one the ends. I had one like that a few years ago without the box, I ended up selling it to Vern
Funny because I've never seen or that I can remember seeing a blue box only red and green. I thought red was the most common color as it became Warn signature color
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2006 at 3:57pm
Mathew,

Interesting Warn Box. I've never seen one in red, only the blue ones. I wonder if this was also changed during the design change:

Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2006 at 3:30pm
Rick,

here are the photos of the Warn hub box.

The number on that Bantam was like 15150 or something, It's sold now to pay for other Jeep stuff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricksslatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 8:56pm
I have a bantam  civilian like yours, originally red, but now painted black. Serial # is 14512. I even have the original oak top bows and canvas cover. That is a nice setup! What is the serial number of yours? The picture says it all...Doesn't get any better than that!
Rick
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 8:48pm
Rick,

I'll post a pic of the box tommorow, and thanks for the kind words. No to many Princeton Black ones around.

Heres another shot dragging my old Bantam trailer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricksslatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 8:35pm
I'll clean them up and I will build me a box like you have described, Boy I sure like your Jeep, that's a beauty.... 
Rick
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 8:27pm
I leave the race in the hub to hold the roller/needle bearings in. Otherwise the bearing will fall out. The race is a nice fit over the axle splines. They came with a nice protective box to store them or your removed original hubs in. The box has a wood insert on the bottom with two wooden "dummy" axles sticking up to hold the hubs tight in the box.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricksslatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 8:25pm
Neat advertisement Jim! The needle bearings are Torrington #2220X..not sure about the inner race number. There was an inner race left in one of the hubs, the other one is missing. Just another neat little accessory for these little jeeps.
Rick
Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 7:43pm
Very Cool Part...and ad, Jim. Looking at the ad and the photo, on the link Tim provided, it appears the inner race is separate from the rollers themselves. It looks like the race is placed over the splines on the axle  then on goes the hub. Is this correct?
Mostly currious ...but this would simplify the proper bearing replacement numbers. Thanks.
Howard
Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

43 GPW 106505 USA #20366014

43 Bantam Trailer T3 #14844

52 M100 K1119
Tiger Shark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger Shark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 2:38pm
Here is an ad for those hubs I found in an old magazine just for grins

Jim

dclear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dclear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 9:44am
Check that link to a fellow reader of this site who responded to my post on the bearing I purchased for my PTO.  He might be able to help.  I suspect you'll need a bearing number, however.  BEWARE!  I DO NOT know what I am talking about, here--just presuming, which more often than not results in an idiot-proving error.

Edited by dclear - 29 Sep. 2006 at 9:45am
del clear

Together we can figure it out, after all, it's only a machine, if a man can build it, a man can fix it. {Author: bkruetz}

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricksslatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 5:00am
Thanks guy's for the info. I thought that these were freewheeling hubs. Yes , these have the needle bearings inside, but the inner race is missing, I suppose that a person can still buy these bearings, probably at a local auto parts store....
Rick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>