Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free- wheeling Warn Hubs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricksslatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free- wheeling Warn Hubs
    Posted: 28 Sep. 2006 at 7:54pm
These Warn hubs came with the parts jeep I just picked up. I know that a person can take a set of 2A hubs and machine out the splines to make a jeep basically a 2 wheel drive, but I believe that these warn hubs are made for that application. Correct me if I am wrong A-Team!
Rick
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2006 at 8:16pm
Rick,

I have a pair that are in amazing shape on mine. There should be needle bearings inside.

Edited by timcj2a - 28 Sep. 2006 at 8:17pm
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

trader_reed View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2006 at 8:47pm

Rick cool find!! they bring alot of money in clean shape. Your Warn hubs are like mine, the larger style and what I've been told is the second version. The other style of this hub has a smaller end and the Warn script is smaller w/out the little dimples, I think they had like a cross pattern on the end.

Tim your are mint, very nice.

Here is a pic of mine installed.

Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2006 at 9:10pm
Very Nice Guys...What is on the inside of those Warn Hubs? It looks like a bearing or seal...
Sure sets off those red wheels...beautiful.
Howard
Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

43 GPW 106505 USA #20366014

43 Bantam Trailer T3 #14844

52 M100 K1119
64ragtop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64ragtop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2006 at 9:16pm
These would be PRE- "locking hubs" I guess??  Change the hub, instead of the convenience of the locking hubs.??
If it aint broke, fix it 'til it is! (or YOU are)
Tiger Shark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger Shark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2006 at 9:55pm
Tim,

We've been setting up a photo archive on EarlyCJ5.com and there is a section on hubs there.  Do you mind if I add your pics to the archive?

Thanks,

Jim
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2006 at 10:53pm
Jim, Please feel free to use my photo if you want.

Thanks Howard, I painted those rims myself!!!

These non-locking hubs got the nick-name "Summer hubs" because you would only install them in the summer as four wheel drive was needed so often in the winter
timcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 12:36am
No problem Jim. I have other photos as well if necessary.

Check out this link for the whole story on these hubs.

Warn Hub Story

Edited by timcj2a - 29 Sep. 2006 at 12:36am
1946 CJ2A #69376

Chula Vista, CA

ricksslatts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricksslatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 5:00am
Thanks guy's for the info. I thought that these were freewheeling hubs. Yes , these have the needle bearings inside, but the inner race is missing, I suppose that a person can still buy these bearings, probably at a local auto parts store....
Rick
dclear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dclear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 9:44am
Check that link to a fellow reader of this site who responded to my post on the bearing I purchased for my PTO.  He might be able to help.  I suspect you'll need a bearing number, however.  BEWARE!  I DO NOT know what I am talking about, here--just presuming, which more often than not results in an idiot-proving error.

Edited by dclear - 29 Sep. 2006 at 9:45am
del clear

Together we can figure it out, after all, it's only a machine, if a man can build it, a man can fix it. {Author: bkruetz}
Tiger Shark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiger Shark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 2:38pm
Here is an ad for those hubs I found in an old magazine just for grins

Jim

Howard View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 7:43pm
Very Cool Part...and ad, Jim. Looking at the ad and the photo, on the link Tim provided, it appears the inner race is separate from the rollers themselves. It looks like the race is placed over the splines on the axle  then on goes the hub. Is this correct?
Mostly currious ...but this would simplify the proper bearing replacement numbers. Thanks.
Howard
Howard F Jewett

1946 CJ2A #23353

43 GPW 106505 USA #20366014

43 Bantam Trailer T3 #14844

52 M100 K1119

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricksslatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 8:25pm
Neat advertisement Jim! The needle bearings are Torrington #2220X..not sure about the inner race number. There was an inner race left in one of the hubs, the other one is missing. Just another neat little accessory for these little jeeps.
Rick
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 8:27pm
I leave the race in the hub to hold the roller/needle bearings in. Otherwise the bearing will fall out. The race is a nice fit over the axle splines. They came with a nice protective box to store them or your removed original hubs in. The box has a wood insert on the bottom with two wooden "dummy" axles sticking up to hold the hubs tight in the box.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricksslatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 8:35pm
I'll clean them up and I will build me a box like you have described, Boy I sure like your Jeep, that's a beauty.... 
Rick
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 8:48pm
Rick,

I'll post a pic of the box tommorow, and thanks for the kind words. No to many Princeton Black ones around.

Heres another shot dragging my old Bantam trailer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricksslatts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep. 2006 at 8:56pm
I have a bantam  civilian like yours, originally red, but now painted black. Serial # is 14512. I even have the original oak top bows and canvas cover. That is a nice setup! What is the serial number of yours? The picture says it all...Doesn't get any better than that!
Rick
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trader_reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep. 2006 at 3:30pm
Rick,

here are the photos of the Warn hub box.

The number on that Bantam was like 15150 or something, It's sold now to pay for other Jeep stuff
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>