Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1951 willys pickup project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 24252627>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2015 at 1:42am

46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar. 2015 at 3:25am
so i pounded out the dents and welded up the body pieces that go under the bed. i also used some scotch bright and buffing pads to make the window trim shine then i clear coated them. I'm currently stripping all the bondo off my fenders hold crap do they look like a tree beat them and then some. the heater i got from lee a bit over a year ago and am now stripping down for paint, searching for a 12v motor and then going to reassemble. the heater core is currently holding water but we will see soon. 
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 6:20am
school has been busy i have been working on the engine, but hitting road bumps, in a few weeks I'm going out to see Joe for some help with the crank. 
46 2a
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2015 at 10:46pm
Luke here is an idea for your 12V motor. When you are home go into Milwaukee.....69th and Oklahoma American Science and Surplus. They have an abundance of 12V motors that are surplus out of so many different things.....you might find what you're looking for there.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2015 at 5:22am
thanks ill run down there next week, engine is home in the garage i have started to assemble it, short block is done got the front cover on tonight hoping to do the oil pan sunday or monday tuesday ish, then valves and head followed by rocker arm and the rest of the fun stuff.  i should of put the pump in tonight but i didn't. i brought the bed home to work on after the engine is up north and i got my fenders currently I'm working on filling some dents and wrinkles . once summer classes end i will be back on them more regularly  as school takes up a lot of my night and work my days. 
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 3:23am
well front cover is on, oil pickup and pan on, exhaust valves in the block, and oil pump in the block oh and the water pump is on. That is it for tonight, tomorrow i am going to buy the brass angle pieces i need for the oil lines then put them on and the head on. Set the valves, put in the distributor, and run the oil lines. Once all of that is done i will pull it off the stand and thrown on the fly wheel. hopefully this weekend it will go sit next to the truck, maybe even go in it.

I seem to have forgotten to take photos of my electrical so i hope i remember where all the cords go if not i can figure it out, hopefully i did wire the thing. 
46 2a
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 3:41am
Schimmmms, NAPA has a 12V motor, I have a thread on it someplace on this site, LOL. Lookin good.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2015 at 5:36am
thanks lee i got that heater all painted up and come next semester i am going to 3d print then cast a front logo for it, still haven't decided if i want it to say willys overland or Luke Schimmel or what but i have the technology now i just need the time. 
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 6:53am
I will try to get some photos up after finals (2 weeks ) but i have been through a lot on this lately. Got a new engine this summer ( built the last one out) honed balanced ground cracks fixed ( a few) decked, head checked and done, all valves new seats and linings. Got the engine done and ready to go put it in the truck ( ended up having a guy assemble the crank and cam as my dial indicator is not a good one and i couldn't get the end play just right it kept walking. Put everything else together and got it in the truck. Started it after 5 minutes it died and locked up but was moveable with a socket. Let it cool came back and ran it 17 min in the oil pressure dropped to 30 at high rpm then 22 and 0 at idle. Bought a new oil pump and put it in 100 lbs at idle, got another new pump and got 52 ish at high rpm and when i get lower to idle about 1200-1000 (didn't fully warm up) i got about 48-50 lbs. So good strong oil pressure. Got a carb built out by Scout Pilot and should get that in this summer. Then spend some time driving the truck and getting the engine working. IF that goes well i will pull the cases and reseal the overdrive/ pto assembly as they have a leak (winch leaks bad the rest is just more than without them so I'm going to try and fix them).  
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 5:51am
So i decided to make my own custom cup holders, so i started with some aluminum coasters that we cast at school. I then made a hinge and body for it with some arms, CNC machined the body and arms the pivot i turned on a lathe then TIG welded to the coaster. I used a mill to punch the arms out at the same location for a brass pin. As you can see the coasters fold up like a game tables when not in use, i think ill put a magnet on them and some steel behind them so they stay folded in the truck. They will be drilled into the door and are big enough for a poweraid bottle but small enough to fit a can of soda. 

46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 5:58am

First photo is the engine on the stand, if you look at the alternator i made a custom ductile iron bar to take out the slack and get the spacing just right. 

This next photo is my new brake eccentrics with custom brass nuts and a tool for turning the eccentric, the tool is heat treated O1 tool steel machined to be the exact same size as the brake eccentric back. 

Here is the engine going back into the truck, this engine is still not running as i went to put on the carb today but the linkage did not match so I'm waiting another few weeks. The new oil pump is giving me good pressure but I'm still worried about the engine as it did stop running and get tight during break in again however not as bad as last time, So with that in mind hopefully once i get the new carb on and the engine warmed up everything will be fine. 

I also need to pull the PTO and overdrive and reseal them as well as seal the winch 

46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 6:10am

Put in some new trim around the window this stuff had less rust and looks nicer, 

Pulled apart my starter and cleaned it up, it spins cleaner now however still grinds when it hits the flywheel some times, not really sure about that, I think the bendix is going. 

Also got my heater cleaned up

New 3 speed 12v motor installed.

And heres a half a mold for my dual wheel adapters, 

Above is a red hot shake out of the iron adapters.

Here is an aluminum one i made just to have at home to show what they are. 

Tag for the heater you will see on it a bit later.

Spinning an iron adapter here on the lathe.

Almost done.

And bored to size.

Shiny, next step on the the big mill to have the holes punched. 

Here is the heater, i got new knobs for it too that i had 3D aluminum printed but that photo isn't in my computer yet.

Here is a lunette pattern i made, a friend cast me 3 for his casting 2 project, they are currently in my ever growing to be machined pile. Im going to throw a thread on them and then they should be ready for my trailer. They are a high grade of ductile iron, if i ever make more i may shoot for another ductile iron or perhaps a steel. 

46 2a
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2016 at 12:43pm
Fasinating and valuable schooling. All you need is the machine shop and foundry with welders and CNC machine at home and you would never leave. I hate to guess what all that equipment would cost and how long it would take to pay for it. I have a friend who has a digital lathe and milling machine. He has the talent to make the plugs for the molds and sand casting  sand. He casts brass and aluminum he gets from salvage yards and makes working steam engines from scratch. He built his own smelter with air blower and propane burner to melt the metal and a motorised crucible to handle it when molten.  Just about anything that comes to mind. He even made a steam engine powered boat along the lines of the African Queen that Humphry Bogard stared in. Keep at it Luke. You never know where it will lead you. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2016 at 4:11am
took a week off work and spent a lot of it on the truck, ill post some updates hopefully later this week, gotta upload the photos. 
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2016 at 3:00am
update i got up north to do my carb and found out the new one was slightly different so I sent it back for a trade, while that was down I finished up one of the interior doors and putting trim on the driver side. I also got to putting new brake eccentrics and brass nuts on all 4 corners. Got my home made skid plate under my gas tank, made some custom spring steel backers for the 4 wheel drive logos to get them back tight against the hood and adjusted the hood to fit just right. 

A few weeks later i had a full week off work so among other projects with some help from Scout Pilot and Joe DeYoung I was able to get my new carb and it was missing so a few calls to those two we were able to walk it in and get her idling nice. But the darn rear main is leaking so come fall I'm going to pull it out and send it back to get all sealed up. I made a new battery hold down and am currently waiting on the paint to dry. I ordered speakers and install them in the truck and my radio came today so it will go in next weekend. I also bought some light strips to put under the hood so I do not need a trouble light on the side of the road. 
I pulled the winch and resealed it now its great no major leaks so with that in i attached the pillow block and wound the steel line on the drum. man i should of gotten a picture of that because this winch really pulls hard. i was able to drive up and down the driveway but had the throttle stick on this carb so i had to pull it off on my last day. below are some pics detailing most of this but not all. 

46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2017 at 10:56pm
well rear main is leaking and a ticking comes and goes in the valve head or a clapping, some sort of odd noise I cannot pin point. either way I pulled out the engine to have the rear main replaced with a rope style instead of the neoprene. I also water jet cut a head liner style piece for up by my light and switches. I will post some photos when i get back up in a few weeks. 

I did get to drive up and down the snowy driveway, for some reason the brakes are soft when i get in but once I drive and pump them up they stay hard, I think I may need to adjust a brake eccentric out. 
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 2:12am
I've got to take more photos but progress has been slow. I have been working on some parts for my dads Jeep. I did install a radio and the heater adapter tubes. I also got my dual wheel adapters powder coated. I'll keep you updated I am hoping to bring my bed down to work come fall so I can spend my evenings working on it. 
46 2a
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2017 at 2:27am
As long as the ball keeps rolling ... Thx 4 the update
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 24252627>