Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1951 willys pickup project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 27>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 1:56pm
Maybe lay some square tubing along side touching the floor and weld it? Walcks sells new ones. A new bed is only 4500.00! Just pay cash for it, no problem. Wink John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 11:51pm

there is way more all over but this is the worst part. 

46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2014 at 1:23pm
Wonder if you can find another cheap box to use as parts? That is going to be allot of work.  The box always seems to be the toughest part because they used them. Then beat them to death and left dirt in the bottom and in the stake pockets. I saw a perfect pickup body/project with the engine out and not driving, and it didn't reach reserve at 3900.00. Montana Jeep Ranch I think had it. It was amazing. Good luck in your search, you might get lucky. I haven't.  John
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2014 at 1:35pm
Well I'm gonna use the box so dents and scratches aren't that big a deal. I just need to make it solid metal.
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2014 at 3:17am
tomorrow I'm going to look at a said to be rebuilt F head engine and if it looks good i will buy it and bring it back. the machine shop is taking way to long on my other block. I'm also in crunch time as i have about a week left so I've been welding the bed but ran out of wire tonight. got more coming on friday will start welding that night and monday/ tuesday i will be stripping paint and welding in the flooring, if all goes well then i will put in the new engine ( if i get it) and take the trim pieces and smaller parts to school to finish up over the school year and install as i come up. 
46 2a

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2014 at 3:46am
You need to rent a shop and live/eat/sleep there at College. Think of all the work you could do. John
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2014 at 4:26am
New engine is in the shop. Short block. Going to get it ready for install soon. Later model block has a different casting and a few different things. Hopefully all my stuff bolts up still.
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2014 at 2:07pm
Ring gear is on the flywheel. Oil pan is on the engine. I have to go get my heads and put the head on then fill with oil and put in the truck ( not that order) then we are gonna run it and see what she does.
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2014 at 9:15pm
No clutch pilot bushing in the mail so it will be another few days before I get the engine in.
46 2a

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2014 at 7:04pm
Keep the updates coming! You need to get it ready for next June's Black Hills Meet. You promised you would come, and I'm holding you to it! Signed Oilleaker1
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2014 at 7:39pm
I think I promised a black hills meet. Not sure about June.
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2014 at 5:08am
got the engine in after a night of fighting it, today i put the radiator on, starter, all electrical and then tried to start it. the gauge read 0 oil pressure. pulled the sender no oil cranked no oil cranked no oil could not get any oil to build up called Joe deyoung who advised i pull the pump and prime it as well as use a mechanical gauge. well my pto drive shaft is right in the way, so i pulled my exhaust and called a friend from work who brought over a gauge. after a few hours of trouble shooting and work we got the gauge figured out, my old engines oil pump installed on this engine ( known good pressure)  and the engine to finally pump oil. 

however it was to late at night for me to start it up and run it for 20 minutes as people are going to bed and they would not be happy. 
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2014 at 3:41am
I'm dead in the water, the engine started up and ran fine for a few minutes then stopped dead in its break in. moved it over with the ratchet, all was well again then started up and ran tonight 10 minutes into break in oil pressure dropped like a rock went form 55 at 2500 to 25 at 2500 and 0-14 at idle as apposed to the 33 at idle it started with. 

I am going to school soon so the truck will not be worked on for some time now as i won't have them time. hopefully over x mass i get this stupid thing fixed and running so i can drive it around. Also i may take the fenders and trim to school to work on there and get finished up swell as do some custom work for parts but as of now it is dead. 
46 2a

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2014 at 12:56pm
That sounds, -----not good. Drain out the oil, put your finger into the pan a feel if the bottom of the pan has bearing material there. If so, the rods could be installed backwards or the rear main seal ate itself ( if rubber) and plugged things up and took out the bearings. I've been here too! I was able to correct things and install a rope seal, and the engine/crank were still OK. Cost about 300.00. If you run it too long, you'll ruin it. Did the engine lock or stop from seizing? Did you assemble it, or did the machine shop do it? You verified oil pressure, before starting, so it may be their responsibility for doing something wrong inside.  I'm sorry for you after all your hard work. John
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2014 at 1:22pm
The guy I bought it from assembled it. And I'm thinking it may just need new bearings or maybe some crank work but the rest should be fine. O
46 2a
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug. 2014 at 6:01pm
quick update, i went to joes shop with the engine and he helped me pull it apart, he then looked it over and gave me the news. rods need new bearings and some grinding, rear main is pretty much shot so that needs attention and the cam is junk i doubt the cam was good when the last guy put it in. So i now have a project for my free time (winter) 
46 2a
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2014 at 10:26pm
Schimmmmmmmmms, here is a box in Colorado!.

http://pueblo.craigslist.org/pts/4620166459.html

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2014 at 11:08pm
 TAILGATE IS WORTH 1/2 OF WHAT HE IS ASKING
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 27>