Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

front axle pinion oil seal replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front axle pinion oil seal replacement
    Posted: 19 June 2012 at 8:51pm
what are the big things i need to know before tackling this.by the look of the manual i don't actually need to open up the differential it is all do able from the outside. is this correct? any help would be great thanks.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2012 at 9:01pm
Ya, its all outside work.  Zap off the pinion nut, throw it away, pull off the yoke (might need a puller),  Remove seal, I've always resorted to just a thin screwdriver to remove it.  Drive the screwdriver thru the metal of the seal and pry it out.  Sometimes you have to work around it in a few places.  Clean the case seal surface and pinion splines.  Then I have a peice of pipe that I use to drive in the new seal.  Be real careful to get it squared away when it goes in or it will get goofed up.  Clean up the splines on the yoke and add some rtv to them.  Put it all back together with a new pinion nut and torque to spec (I can't remeber the #). 
Brett
Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2012 at 12:10am
make sure pinion bearing is good and that seal surface of yoke is good, or all your efforts will be short lived and for naught.

Rick

edit ; and i've never thrown my pinion nuts away, they have always torqued just fine for me. just sayin.

Edited by Harveynailbanger - 20 June 2012 at 12:12am
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804
 Post Reply Post Reply