Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Accelerator sticking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101stairborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Accelerator sticking
    Posted: 10 July 2012 at 3:52pm
Hi everyone! I am new to the forums and I just recently bought a 1948 CJ-2A and I don't know too much about it. I just rebuilt the carburetor and it runs fine but the accelerator gets stuck when I step on the gas. Does anyone know how to fix it? I can post pictures if you would like to see some.
1948 Willys CJ-2A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2012 at 4:06pm
Pictures of the linkage would help. Sounds like your return spring could be missing.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2012 at 4:59pm
Also, the accelerator rod that attaches to the back of your block might be bent and hitting or touching the last nut or stud on your exhaust manifold. ...R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
101stairborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101stairborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2012 at 5:01pm
I dont know if the return spring is in the right spot which may be the problem.

1948 Willys CJ-2A
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2012 at 5:13pm
Photos are great and yes, that's a big part of your problem. The spring pulling the throttle plate at that angle will probably not allow the plate to turn enough to close it down fully. The spring should go from a small plate under the carburetor's rear stud to the hole in the little L-bracket you have on the back end of the link that goes from the carb to your accelerator control arm. If you loosen the nut, you can turn the L-bracket down to get a better angle. This will help pull your control arm, and throttle plate all the way closed. ...R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2012 at 5:58pm
Here's a pic of the correct (stock) set up

Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

101stairborne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 101stairborne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2012 at 6:36pm

I guess I have the wrong spring then because mine is too long and I dont have the loop on the carburetor to attatch it too either. That should solve the problem though. Thanks guys.

1948 Willys CJ-2A
JPNTX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPNTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2012 at 8:45pm

You can check to see if where the linkage goes thru that it's not catching on the hole opening.The first 2a i got had a homemade fix/linkage when i got it.It would get in a bind where it goes thru the firewall.Just a thought.Good luck.

Post Reply Post Reply