Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1946 military jeep??????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1946 military jeep??????
    Posted: 16 July 2012 at 1:59pm
I was watching Auction kings the show on History channel or something like that and a guy was auctioning a 46 military jeep?  It had no tool idents on either side but had the grille of a cj or m38.  Did the MB and GPW stop at the end of WW2 and the cj's just become militarified?  Or did they use the GPW's and MB's until the M38 came out?  It went for like 16000 and it was nice but I don't think it was a military one like they said on the show?
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 3:01pm
MB and GPW production stopped prior to the war's end. There were so many surplus jeeps they were dropping them in the ocean (Pacific) or giving them away to farmer's (Europe) by the thousands. While there are some later CJ-2A military jeeps (strictly domestic base operations) they wouldn't be 1946 models, just too many surplus jeeps available at that time for the military to buy any Civys. There were many MB and GPW jeeps still in operation in Korea right alongside of the M-38.

Larry
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 3:35pm
I would add to Larrys comments, many 46 CJ2As that I have seen, have tool indents on the driver side.  I don't believe they all had them,  just the VEC 2As.

Are there photos somewhere?

Could it be a 45, sold, thus titled in 46, with a replacement tub???  Maybe a militerized 46 CJ2A??
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 3:47pm
I found this footage on YouTube.

It looks like a bit of a Salad.  They don't show it much, but looks like a 2A.

It has M38 headlight protectors.  The bed looks smooth, no ridges.

Just like mine, think it's a little this...a little that. 

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 4:08pm
If it was a rerun, it may have been the one Richard Petty's shop built for charity..it has been discussed here before as a very poor representative of what it was supposed to be.  Same jeep has been sold a couple of times now, and both times to people who did not do their research.

Remember all reality TV is NOT really reality.  Much of it is scripted.

Also.. in the eyes of much of the general public, any flatfender and even a few CJ5's are "military " jeeps. Add some Olive Drab green and it proves it is a military jeep in their opinion. Ribs on the rear floor or not, make no difference to the general population. We who have spent hours getting those same rear floors to match their factory shape know better.

A decade or so ago, someone who cut out the back  floor and replaced it with a chunk of 16 gage steel was "restoring" their jeep with the best available. There were used car lots in the 70's who bought old rusty jeeps and built new tubs from scratch just using the dash and cowl from the old rotted one. Details like footman loop holes and tool indents did not matter to them. If the jeep was shiny, wasn't solid Bondo, and looked like a jeep from 100 feet away, that is all that mattered. Some of those old ideas are alive and well in the collector car arena today.

Edited by F Bill - 16 July 2012 at 4:14pm
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 4:22pm
I just can't believe they were talking about it like a military jeep.  I have a 46 with a mb body so its going to look like one too ha-ha but I'll tell everybody its not.  Just surprised that when you do know something about what they are selling, it becomes clear sometimes that they are not the experts people make them out as.
Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 6:01pm
I suspect that alot of "experts" on TV don't really know as much as they are presented to know.  

Same thing with news, I take what I hear or see on the news with a grain of salt.  I know instances where the news has been flat out wrong because they wanted to make the article more interesting.

Edited by Daniel_Buck - 16 July 2012 at 6:05pm
2a #40500
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2012 at 11:11pm
Do not believe anything you see on these shows, it's all made for tv drama. It is interesting non the less. A couple years back on pawn stars a guy showed up with what he called an M-3 scout car, totally restored!, it was a piece of crap made out of a pickup to look like a scout car. A few days later on the G503 its reported to be a movie prop from hollywood and the real story is totally different.
   MHO, Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2012 at 2:49pm
that was the "petty' jeep and it was sold again on epay not long ago, within a year maybe.

looked cool , but nothing like it was represented as.

Rick
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804
Coastie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coastie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2012 at 8:47am
Stand by for tangent: I can't find the link handy, but in doing some research a few months ago I came across a 1946 article from a Toledo paper reporting the first U.S. military purchase of Willys jeeps after MB production ceased. The Coast Guard purchased 200 CJ-2As, despite the country being awash in fairly new MBs/GPWs piled up in depots. That was probably a little Congressional arm twisting hoping to help re-start govt. orders. Photos I saw suggest they had gloss grey paint, NDT tires, after market civilian cabs, and served for years after most of the MBs and M-38s acquired by the CG thru ad-hoc screening were worn out and discarded. Not that a CG jeep is what was being pitched on Auction Kings... silliness.

Edited by Coastie - 18 July 2012 at 6:53pm
Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2012 at 8:14pm
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804
 Post Reply Post Reply