Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buick 225 timing cover.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbritton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buick 225 timing cover.
    Posted: 30 Aug. 2012 at 5:11am
Has anyone replaced the timing cover in a buick V6 225.  I need to replace mine and was wondering how difficult it is.  Thanks in advance
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2012 at 4:13am
I remember monkeying around with this engine as a kid and don't remember it being any more difficult than other V-type engines. You will likely have to drain coolant and drop the oil pan a little, plus remove some parts from the front of the engine.

What is the reason for replacing the cover? Oil pump passages worn out? Is this part available new? It might be hard to source a used cover that is not worn out also. If oil pressure/volume is the issue, I installed an oil pump kit from Kenne-Bell that featured taller gears and a spacer for it to work in the stock cover. I also had the cover machined to accept a modern one piece seal.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
cbritton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbritton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2012 at 4:19am
there is a crack at the top where the water pump bolts too.  I checked with local auto parts store and i can get a new one.  wasnt sure if there were any tricks or if was pretty straight forward
John 46-2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John 46-2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2012 at 2:51am
This may be a little late but there is no issues, I did both the timming cover and oil pump at the same time on my rebuild. The aftermarket has a few extra holes but is straight forward. T A Performance has a lot of parts for these engines as well.
                                                                 John

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2012 at 3:57am
Pretty straight forward.

The oil pump needs to be packed with something to help it prime. 

Seal the threads of all the mounting bolts. Some go into the water jackets and can leak. 

Upgrade to the modern front seal

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

John 46-2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John 46-2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2012 at 4:12am
I packed the oil pump with vasoline, the threads I use the white pipe sealant (it works with oil too) and the new cover comes with the new seal, pack the back of the seal with vasoline as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply