Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Column Change Installation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Column Change Installation
    Posted: 07 Nov. 2012 at 8:43am
Guys

I think I already know the answer to this one, but just in case I have overlooked something.

My Jeep body is from MD Juan, long story but the original one was long gone when I got the CJ.

On this body the upper steering column brace is riveted to the dash panel, this is all very well until you try to fit the column change unit which of course goes just above this bracket.

Are original CJ-2A (VEC) riveted or bolted here, as it appears I have to drill the rivets out to be able to install the column change assembly.....I have already stripped it down but for the life of me can not get it to sit in the correct location as its impossible for the shifter end to fit down through the gap above the bracket and the same if you try to offer it up through the floor.

There is just not enough space to move the thing around to walk it through the gap above the bracket

The gear lever mount bracket will not clear the space available and the shifter end lever is the same, the main dog clutch housing is already removed from the end of it, so its just the remaining bits causing me grief, I machined up a new operating pin which I have already welded in place, so I don;t want to drill the weld out and remove the lever and then assemble it again  

If the originals brackets are bolted,, WHY do they rivet it on??????

Thanks and hope someone can help

Adrian  
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2012 at 3:16pm
Definitely drill out the rivets, remove the bracket and put it back together correctly. I know nothing about the column shift, but don't remember seeing any difference in the dash contour from the floor shift. I doubt WO would have retooled for the change.
The floor cut out and plate needed is a different story.Disapprove
BOULDER 48 2A
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2012 at 3:21pm
the bolt pattern on the floor plate cover is different between column shift and cane shift..... the holes nearest the pto cover end of the opening is spaced differntly....

try searching, there was a thread on this a few years ago....

and it is the tranny hump area of the mdjuan tubs that is incorrect.....they are not high enough to clear the trannys, especially the column shift trannys that have the vent plug, and the humps are installed farther to the driver side than an original tub.....

good luck....
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2012 at 5:03pm
Terry, floor plate is no problem as its split vertically and I have an original set to use as a pattern.

Thanks, Adrian
1973 Saab 96
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2012 at 5:09pm
Lowenuf, Thanks for that, I have not fitted the transmission and engine yet but have sorted out the cover for that part of the job,

Its the steering column bracket that is the holdup at the moment,   Having never seen an origianl VEC, only photos I can only imagine the upper bracket was bolted, for some reason on my MD Juan body its got heavy rivets and they would be no problem at all with a floor shift model, but they appear to be the issue with my one as its a column shift/

The body has been painted, so I need to carefully drill the rivets to make the bracket removeable.

Wish i had know about it prior to the paint going on...

Thanks

Adrian    
1973 Saab 96
Leroys46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leroys46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2012 at 5:10pm
The floor cover over the transmission should not be split.  The floor cover for the steering and shifter column is split. 
46 Willys CJ2A that finally stopped going backwards in progress and is moving forward.

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2012 at 5:13pm
Terry, forgot to mention the body is quite accurate and has the clearance for the column shift shaft etc, they also got it bang on with tool indents and overall I am very happy with it.

Adrian
1973 Saab 96
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov. 2012 at 5:17pm
Leroy, yeah that's the one I was talking about, it is on the floor, just near your feet....... 
1973 Saab 96
lsw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lsw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2012 at 1:04am
Hi Adrian,

On s/n 15363 the steering column bracket is bolted onto the bottom of the dash. It is a two part bracket, the upper bolts to the dash and the lower, holding the steering column to the upper bracket, is bolted to the upper bracket. Both take a 1/2 inch wrench/spanner. 

To put it another way, the shifting column goes over the upper bracket and the steering column goes between the two. Both are bolted on, no rivets.
Luke
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2012 at 4:25am
Luke

Thanks very much, your serial no is quite close to mine, still at a loss why MD Juan riveted the bracket on mine but they will be replaced with bolts

Cheers

Adrian
1973 Saab 96
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2012 at 9:05am
Guys

Thanks for all your help. I drilled out the incorrect rivets and once the upper steering brace was removable I was able to get the column shift all fitted up.

Its now bolted to the dash panel.....

Just another one of the niggles with the MD body, if anybody wants me to make up a list of faults I have found then let me know, it may save some headaches for others when fitting one of these tubs etc.n  Its nothing major but the sort of thing you need to correct before painting ideally.

Adrian 
1973 Saab 96
 Post Reply Post Reply