Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Equipment Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Parrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shop Equipment Advice
    Posted: 07 Nov. 2012 at 11:05pm
HF has a benchtop 30 gal abrasive cabinet for around $120.  Anybody use one and might offer a comment?  My compressor is 120VAC and CFM unknown...probably around 5.  This cabinet suggests 10 CFM at 100PSI.  Is there a 120VAC compressor on the market which produces 10 CFM?  Thanks.
Don Parrish

'46 CJ2A 15720
'52 CJ3A 452GB124659
'49 T3C T3C312
'53 600 Ford Golden Jubilee Tractor
'67 Corvette
'09 Jeep Fourdoorsy
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2012 at 1:38am
 If you are guessing 5CFM it's not enough.  You don't want the little compressor going all the time. IMHO you should invest in a compressor that has at least a 60 gallon tank and at least a 3HP motor and 220V. At that size you are still in the "affordable DIY guy" range.  Everyone will have his own opinion but when you buy crap you get crap, when you buy small you get small, when you go cheap and small on something as important as a compressor you'll have problems. The blast cabinet will draw a lot of air, a sander will draw a lot of air, etc. The sand blast cabinet sold by Tractor Supply is a better unit than the HF one. I've got one that size from Eastwood and the only down side to me was after a while it got to be too small...........then I realized I should only be doing little parts anyway and leave the big parts to the pros.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2012 at 3:57am
i did a lot of research on this before i started my truck. I ended up paying a guy to blast my frame but damar is correct. The bigger the better for a compressor. I would suggest you look into a gas compressor if you do not have 220 in the garage like me, they generally produce a ton of air and you can get a few spare air tanks to hook in line with it for the whole spare air space. They are very expensive new but a good one from craigslist is available. also a lot of people sell really old big bulky compressors that they know little about. these generally go cheap but can be very powerful. they are cheap because they are old and look like crap but they can work great. 
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2012 at 4:07am
The only other thing i could think of if you really need to use this compressor. You might be able to get away with using your compressor but you will have to stop and wait for it to charge up ALOT. 
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2012 at 4:47am
Hey there Don,  I had the same problem you have when I was working in an apartment complex garage with a small compressor that made the sand come out like it was being poured out of a funnel.  It made me mad so I bought the largest 120V compressor I could fine, hooked it up, and blew the breakers, lights, and door openers out of a string of 24 garages.  Bad Deal!! Now I'm set up in a shop with one of those "big ugly" 3phase, 220V jobs with a 500gal tank and it makes such a mess that I don't even use it anymore.  Do a search for rust removing receipes.  There are some great ones here somewhere and they work really well for removing paint and rust from small parts.  Just don't use them to strip paint off of your searial number plaque Censored
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov. 2012 at 5:43am
The HF cabinet is fine and the gloves are fine, and I like the HF side-opening door better than my lift-top Jetstream. Everyone's advice on ample CFM is really important - you can bleed a small tank quickly. Ideal blast pressure is around 150psi, so you do need a hefty unit. Key to the whole thing is a good gun (I don't remember if the HF unit come with a gun or not) and having a bunch of replacement nozzles handy - they get eaten up rather quickly depending on the type of media you use. McMaster has a great gun and they also have quartz nozzles that are great but pricey. Having a blast box available in your shop for small things is a good investment!  ...R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2012 at 2:23pm
if you can keep up with the air it will work fine, my experience is that it wont be long before you either want a bigger one or decide to pay someone else to do it.

Rick
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804
Wurley Rancid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wurley Rancid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2012 at 3:20am
I just would like to share my experience and knowledge having owned a successful sandblasting business in the past.  I have sandblasted everything from names/dates on champagne glasses to redwood signs to heavy equipment, bridges, buildings, antiques, car parts and almost anything else you can imagine.  I have found that the ideal sandblasting air PRESSURE is 90 psi max.  For a lot of things, I would turn the pressure down to 50 or 60 psi.   I would keep in mind that pressure of air is important to sandblasting, but what is vastly more important is SCFM (Standard Cubic Feet per Minute), in other words VOLUME of air.  All air compressors are rated at SCFM at certain pressure levels.  The higher the VOLUME of air the compressor puts out, the faster the job of sandblasting gets completed.  My shop air compressor that supplies my sandblast cabinet puts out 28 SCFM at 90 psi and it will clean up a rusty, painted wheel in no time.  If I run into a big job, like a frame, I roll out my diesel air compressor that puts out 190 SCFM at 90 psi to get the job done.  One last thing, much of the sandblast sand has silica in it, so protect your lungs.  I hope you find this helpful.  
"Most of my money I spent on hunting, fishing, drinking and Willys jeeps. The rest I wasted."   BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER OF THE NRA
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2012 at 4:54am
Wurley... Great info - thanks! Do you recommend 90psi for other media beside sand (i.e., glass, alum oxide, etc.)? And while on the subject, any recommendations what the ideal use is for the different media (as it relates to car parts)? ...R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2012 at 3:22pm

Completely OT but..... Wurley, I've been wondering (and I hope others have to) where the origin of your username comes from....For the life of me I can't come up with anything....Is it a character, maybe, from something that I'm not familiar with?

Enquiring minds want to know...Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2012 at 3:14pm
i was wondering where a lot of the user names come from QuestionQuestionQuestionQuestionQuestionQuestion.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wurley Rancid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2012 at 4:08am
Regarding the questions JeepRoger asked about pressure and media, I don't think I have ever sandblasted anything over 90 psi.  My diesel powered rotary compressor puts out 90 psi.  My shop compressor is a two-stage model with 175 psi tank pressure.  I turn it down at the regulator to 90 psi and it runs all my air-powered (pneumatic) shop tools and equipment just fine.  The pressure going into my blast cabinet is set for the 90 psi, but I can turn that pressure down for blasting more delicate items (i.e. glass, thin sheet metal, aluminum).  There are numerous kinds and grits of blast media.  A lot of it I have used and a lot of it I have not used.  In my area of Oregon, what is available for media is Green Diamond (nickel slag), Black Diamond (copper slag), Aluminum oxide, Glass beads, and Silica sand.  I am sure that people in different areas of the country have different selections than we do.  If you are blasting in a cabinet, you need to use media that creates little or no dust (i.e. glass beads) or you will not be able to see what you are doing.  Another thing about cabinet blasting is that your parts need to be somewhat clean (grease, scale, dirt/grime removed) or you will contaminate your media.  Because you reuse the media in a blast cabinet, it will generally be more expensive initially.  Sandblasting in the open air, you can use cheaper media (i.e. silica-based sand).  Remember the finer the sand is, the smoother your finished parts will be.  The downside is that the finer sand makes more dust and it doesn't cut build-up as well.   Don't forget to wear a silica approved respirator and a caped hood for eye protection and protective clothing--the ultimate being a pressurized suit but this is out of most people's budget.  There is nothing better than being outside blasting a jeep frame or whatever on an overcast or cloudy day with the wind blowing.  The cloud cover does away with the glare and the wind dissipates the dust cloud you are making. 
"Most of my money I spent on hunting, fishing, drinking and Willys jeeps. The rest I wasted."   BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER OF THE NRA
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2012 at 4:16am
wurley, wurlie [ˈwɜːlɪ]
n
(Social Science / Anthropology & Ethnology) Austral an Aboriginal hut
[from a native Australian language]

wur·ley

[wur-lee] Show IPA
noun, plural wur·leys, wur·lies. Australian .
an Aborigine's shelter, made of branches and leaves.
a nest, especially a rat's nest.

1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wurley Rancid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov. 2012 at 4:32am
Well, could be, maybe, but I have never been anywhere near Australia.  I sometimes get a rat's nest of fishing line in the bottom of my tackle box, but I've never called that a wurley!  Haven't you ever driven your old flat-fender around on a quiet, sunny, peaceful day?  If that purring motor doesn't sound like a wurley, I don't know what does!  Think about it, but not too hard.
 Post Reply Post Reply