Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Body tools

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Body tools
    Posted: 29 Apr. 2013 at 2:45am
I need to purchase some hammers and some dollys before I tackle body repair on my 48.  WHere can I pick up some decent body tools that wont break the bank?
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2013 at 3:15am
Everything that I have read about current hammers and dollies says to stay away from the inexpensive brands.  Martin is consistently stated to be high quality and a rebranded Mac line.

Amazon has a 7 piece set for about $200.  You can buy sets for much less, but the rule in tools is that if it is inexpensive, it is likely to be imported and cheaply made.   My set is ancient so I do not have any recent purchase to go by.

Here's a link to a set of Martin tools at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Martin-647K-Piece-Fender-Repair/dp/B0014DEVUC/ref=pd_sbs_indust_3

Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2013 at 3:17am
I'd say hit up the flee markets and garage sales and Craigslist. Find some solid old usa stuff. I have the harbor freight kit but haven't used it yet.
46 2a
51 truck project named Karen
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2013 at 3:49am
Just to repeat a tired, but true refrain: you get what you pay for. Take it from someone who used to swing body hammers all day for a living, cheap tools are false economy. All my hammers were Snap-On or Proto (which aren't made anymore). I found the Snap-On hammers to have the best balance and feel, the Proto's were a close second. The cheap hammers are good for cracking nuts or putting the lids back on paint cans; most of these have a flat face and will cause more damage than you are trying to fix- stay away.

If you don't do this work for a paycheck you won't need but 2 or 3, and if you spend a little money you'll have a great tool to work with the rest of your life. I have 3 Snap-On hammers and 2 Proto's, that's all I used during my career. Just buy versatile profiles that work for a lot of situations. I suggest a cross peen style to start with.

Dollies are another matter, you can skimp a little on these. You are just looking for shapes and contours that suit what you're trying to repair.

Edited by otto - 29 Apr. 2013 at 3:56am
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2013 at 5:03pm

Thanks for the info.  I figured that the "you get what you pay for" statement would apply to these tools as well.  Ill start looking around for some used ones at the flea market.  If not ill bite the bullet and spring for new. 

WRMorrison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRMorrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2013 at 5:16pm
I guess I'll be the one that goes against the grain here, but I'm no body man either.  I have the set from HF and they've always worked as well as my abilities allow.  I'm also a proponent of buying good tools (most of my stuff is either Snap-On or Craftsman), but these seem to do the job well enough for me.

-WRM
If you're a SolidWorks user, here's a link to my publicly available models: My Models (click on "projects")
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2013 at 3:22am
I'm going to go completely against the grain... 
I do have an inexpensive hammer/dolly set, but the majority of the panels on the Willys Jeeps are flat.  If your primary intention is the work the sheet metal on a Willys, then I don't think I would buy a nice Hammer Dolly set.  You won't ever use the majority of the dollies.

I made my own dollies from a chunk of 5/8" x 2"  flat steel bar stock.  I cut them to a manageable size.  I took a grinder to some of them to make specific shapes needed for a Willys, like the ribs in the cargo area and wheel houses.

I do use some of the hammers in my set, but my 'go to' hammer is an old rock hammer my Dad gave me when I was a kid. 

The combination of the rock hammer and my homemade flat bar stock dollies have made Willys Jeep sheet metal work a breeze.

This is a chunk of bar stock before I cut it to size...

This is a dolly I made to work the ribs...

Good luck.
Tim
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2013 at 3:39am
That dolly is exactly what I was describing to another poster as to what he might use to repair wheelhouse ribs. Nice work!
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
compyellow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compyellow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 8:05am
I have been looking at the martins for awhile. They seem like a great hammer with a great reputation. You could just get a hammer or two and not spend too much. You can take a look at summit, auto body tool mart, or eastwood. Myself I like wooden handles.
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by WRMorrison WRMorrison wrote:

I guess I'll be the one that goes against the grain here, but I'm no body man either.  I have the set from HF and they've always worked as well as my abilities allow.  I'm also a proponent of buying good tools (most of my stuff is either Snap-On or Craftsman), but these seem to do the job well enough for me.

-WRM

Same with me, I've got a 10' box filled with Snap On, Matco, and Cornwell tools but I used the HF body kit (hammers and dollys) when I rebuilt my 2A. I figure that being a professional technician I use professional tools but I'm definitely an amateur bodyman so I got amateur tools. LOL
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 4:51pm
I am certainly not a body man, but I straightened the hood, fenders, and a few other spots with a ball peen and a dead blow hammer and a 25 lb. bag of lead shot. 

I am currently quite challenged by my wavy, but intact, tailgate - particularly the dented top tube. Any workable ideas on a tool/method that would help to get this right?
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 5:24pm
Mike S. - I have a tailgate with same issue.  I plan to make a rod that will fit snug in the tube with a rounded tip. As it is forced through the tube, hammer to original form.  I don't know if this will work until I try it, which could be a while. 
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 5:51pm
Bruce

I was thinking that a graduated series of hardwood dowels with rounded ends and a BFH might gradually bring the edge back.

Of course, Bubba didn't have the correct length loops, so he drilled out the pads for shorter loops, then drilled holes for the license plate. However, it is the original tailgate in unrusted (but not unmolested) condition with the correct number hinges. Worth repairing, I think.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 6:21pm
Oilleaker did something like this for his trucks bed rails. They were dented so he put a rod in and hammered back to shape. Not sure if he smashed the rod in with a hammer.
46 2a
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 10:44pm
I like the Martin hammers with the blue fiberglass handles.  You can get by with one flat face/pointed pick face or flat face/rectangular pointed pick face and a mufti-sided dolly.  The harmers are in the 30 to 40 dollar range.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:25pm
Don't be fooled by Eastwood's Fairmount line... They are Chinese... Decent hammers but not real USA made Fairmounts, and you have to look pretty closely to see they are not USA made in the catalog.If you do not mind the origin of them, the ones I got were acceptable hammers for the money. A very little tweaking would make them as nice as the originals.

Once you have done some dinging with a quality body hammer and dolly set you will no longer want to use the cheap ones.. I purchased the HF set to do a review of them, they are not worth the selling price and barely worth the sale price when they put them on sale. Why HF chose to hollow out their heel dolly other than to save shipping weight escapes reason.

That said, a few minutes with a grinder and some gradually finer grits of sandpaper flap wheels and you can make any cheapo hammer have the profile of a good one. You won't have the balance and feel of a good quality Snap On or a real Martin or Plomb or Fairmount, but you can get close. The key is to get a fully convex surface with a nice even gradual curve in all directions, not a flat surface or even worse, a concave surface. Same can be done with dollys, and custom make dollys are excellent ideas for specialty areas like the floor ribs. Blocks of steel, aluminum, and hardwood also do some good metal forming.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 2:21am
Mike, Mullen,

For the tailgate tube, I used a 'D-Shaft'.  This is from the garage door world.  Specifically, Raynor Garage Doors.  This shaft is already shaped very close to the size and shape of the tailgate tube.  The shortest length they have is 7'8".  Google http://www.raynor.com/locator.cfm to find the dealer closest to you.

I had to grind down one of the hard edges for a perfect fit.  Took about 10 minutes of grinding and trial fitting to get it right.  Once the shape was right, I started driving it in with a 3lb sledge.  It took some effort.  Especially when I came to a very dented/crushed area, but slowly and surely, the dents gave way and I was able to drive the shaft all the way in.  Once it was in, I worked the remaining minor imperfections and creases with a hammer.  Turned out perfect. 

I was going to remove it, but decided to leave it in.  I cut it to the correct length and there is stayed.  I will never have to worry about a dented tailgate tube again. 

Tim

Schimms15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schimms15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 2:31am
Tim nice fix. is the d shaft roughly the price of just buying the proper size steel tubing? And did you use any lube?
46 2a
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>