Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Universal Modified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 96>
Author
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

. . . . I am a little worried for my brother because it seems he may be starting to contract a little jeep fever judging by the symptoms.
AwwwwWink
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 11:13pm

.... Next we have to do the tranny tunnel

Edited by jpet - 11 July 2014 at 11:16pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2014 at 11:44pm
Looking great!  Hopefully I get to see the finished project someday....like the 3rd annual NH trail ride.
1952 m38
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2014 at 4:14pm

My facilities are not as good as works

Making the tranny tunnel extra tall to allow for a rolled edge at the bottom

... A little extra meat is left on the front to use to blend into the firewall. The structure will be welded from the inside. The idea is to have enough weld on the inside to allow us to make an aggressive radius in in the outside to make the part look like it is stamped out.

Mav is cleaning up a few spots that broke through after grinding.

.... more to come
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2014 at 5:44pm

Used 1" tubing to form a radius around the perimeter.

Next we will need to cut the floor out to match and weld it in but I'm loosing my cheap labor. Gotta take Mav home

He got a lot accomplished this week

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2014 at 7:32pm
Hmmm, I think he needs a pay raise! LOL
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 8:09pm
Making a few odds and ends:

The drivers side toe board is pretty butchered up from the previous modifications so I opted to make a new one:

Since this is a type I tub, the gusset is pretty straight forward.  I bent the edges up in the brake and punched the holes out with a knockout:

Usually when someone cuts the ACM number out, its because they are taking it from the original tub to put on a new or restored tub.  I'm the first I know of who is restoring the gusset on the original tub ...

For fear of getting into the number, I decided to weld it on the back side and fill any imperfections on the visible side with epoxy:

Seat support thingys:

Above is the original.  To duplicate, I bent a piece of metal to 90 degrees in the brake and then I hammered the bent edge back down over a piece of 3/16" thick bar stock:

MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

rrrrrrrrr9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrrrrrrrr9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 9:25pm
You make all of this look easy!LOL
Erik
1948 Cj2a "Rustina"
build pictures
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2014 at 9:27pm
… that's because I don't post the failed attempts.  This is VERY time consuming.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2014 at 3:52pm
With the new tunnel, how much room do you have for your right foot and accelerator pedal? I know on mine it got REALLY tight really quick....

42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2014 at 3:58pm
The tunnel is in about the same position and angle as the original on the drivers side.  The wider portion is shifted over to the passenger side to allow for the TC shifter.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 3:45am
Lots of work today:

Tranny hump is welded in. It ain't great but it will do

..... added all of the little items I made yesterday:

..... added new toe board gusset and repaired the other:

..... removed some cancer from the passenger side:

ugly but solid:

Spent the entire day on this thing but it is ready for the sandblaster:

They are closed on Saturday but I was able to drop it off since I have to leave town next week:

They are going to sandblast and prime the bottom, and the bare metal on the top and sides, and undercoat the bottom in olive drab,

May 1 was wen I started on the fuel sump so this work took 2-1/2 months. Hopefully I'll get it back by next weekend.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 3:47am
... oh, and I am going to cut an access hole in that tranny hump but I'm waiting till I go to fit it on the chassis.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 12:15pm
The primer? Epoxy primer sealer, or catalised sandable? I assume you are doing some bondo work on top of it. Working out in the hot sun doing the welding just adds to the heat of it. Miserable work. I usually wimp on that and do it in the winter. Then blast and do the mudwork so your hot and damp body doesn't collect the sanding dust. Then during warm weather do the painting outside or a paint booth in cold/bad weather. Mechanics go fast anytime. It's the bodywork that seperates the men from the boys. Allot of test fitting etc.  The hump painted OD will help in not showing it as much.   Painting it 319 or 33070? I spent 4 months on my M38 tub. Just about 5 days a week too. Very tedious. It was in tough shape. They hauled firewood in it and destroyed the rear floor and wheelwells. I actually saved them, but the rust in the toolbox top and front floors took much replacement and pieceing. I used toolbox lids for the floor patches to get the correct ribs. Midwest Military front floors and hats. John B. does fantastic work.  Now I'm doing it again on " Herm". This winter will be---------"Tub Time" again. See you in Colorado! Big smile John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 12:57pm
....... well ..... now everyone is going to be mad at me, and I hope this doesn't turn into a bunch of posts where someone tries to convince me otherwise, but I'm not using any bondo. I want it to be warped but solid. Basically I want this jeep to look ugly, beat up warped, and welded on. I'm having the bottom blasted, epoxy primed, and under coated to seal everything up good, but the top, he is only blasting the new bare metal and he is only priming the bare metal and he is going to try and avoid the original metal as much as possible. For paint, I am using the regular rustoleum OD. That is what was on the tub when I got it and even though it is no where near correct, I just like the way it looks and I can blend it into the paint that is already on the tub.

In the end, John, I'm going for a strong and solid jeep underneath, both body and running gear, but on the outside I want something like your Willys truck, but more beat up.

..... but yes, if I would have done everything properly, it would have taken WAY longer and I don't think I would be able to do it myself. I'm just not a welder and I don't have the time or proper tools both in my shop and in my head.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 1:05pm
Maybe the best way to describe it is that I want the outside to look like a rolling field bandage.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 1:07pm
Actually I like Jeeps with "patina" as you know. They can be leaned on, throw your tools up on the hood, and driven through branches and stuff with no remorse!  Like a good old shirt with holes in it you just can't throw out, because it's your favorite.  I did not know rustoleum made OD. Can't wait to see it now. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

Actually I like Jeeps with "patina" as you know. They can be leaned on, throw your tools up on the hood, and driven through branches and stuff with no remorse!  Like a good old shirt with holes in it you just can't throw out, because it's your favorite.....

I know you do John. I've seen your stuff . My comments were for the group and not directed to you necessarily.
Quote ... I did not know rustoleum made OD. Can't wait to see it now. John

They do. It is darker than the WW2 ODs this is what the body had on it when I got it and I like it because it just looks dirty to me. I'm going for the smfulle look but I don't plan to do exposed metal rust because this vehicle is going to be driving on salt/snow roads and even though I would welcome rust, wouldn't want it to eventually rust through.

... so I plan to do the primer, paint, red oxide primer, paint and then sand back down to the primer in some spots. I wish I could find a good dull red oxide paint rather than primer.

The theme for this project is faux so I'm open to suggestions on faux patina keeping in mind that this vehicle is going to be exposed to the elements.

Thanks for reading.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 96>