Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Universal Modified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 96>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov. 2017 at 1:46am
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Originally posted by Unkamonkey Unkamonkey wrote:

I used to know a few people that carried around their own rocks to use.

Pretty common in Colorado

Lee

It's not like I haven't used anything in sight. The problem is getting your passenger out to place rocks or somebody from another vehicle to help. They do need to be strong enough to haul a proper sized rock for the job. For years I used a Mico lock. It's not like we are short of rocks around this area.
uncamonkey
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2017 at 9:13pm
Everything’s back together and functioning. Here is a profile shot of BAM BAM to show the tummy tuck:

... since I had some free time, I decided to experiment with some tires:

Basically, my thought was, to extend the slots past center so that there is an interruption at the center of the tire. This way, I’ve got more edges to contact the terrain but the tire still looks like an NDT.

Here is a video demonstration:

.... I’m sure the DOT would not approve and I’ll bet they are noisy on the road. Since my back tires will need replacing soon, I may cut them like this and try them out at Kansas Rocks next weekend. May not have enough time.

Thanks 4 reading.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2017 at 9:24pm
Be interesting to learn how they sound on the road. And if you get any vibration/harmonics from them.  

You'll probably need to do a test on snow demo like  you did for the siping.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec. 2017 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I remember seeing this at Bob Christy's house before you bought it. I may have even taken photos. ( I will have to search later)

You have done a magnificent job Jeff to get it to what it is today!   
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2017 at 8:38am
Bam Bam looks like he's sucking in his gut--to impress the ladies?  Geek 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2017 at 7:06pm
I took my most worn tire and cut them like so:

Idk. Doesn’t exactly look like an NDT. I’ll cut up the other one and try it at Kansas Rocks. I’m betting they bite good around here but I wonder how they would be on slick rock.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2017 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Doesn’t exactly look like an NDT. I’ll cut up the other one and try it at Kansas Rocks. I’m betting they bite good around here but I wonder how they would be on slick rock.

What days should I clear my schedule so I can help you find the best slick rock to test them on? I think I might know a couple of spots. Wink

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2017 at 9:49pm
See, that’s what I love about this forum. Guys like Stan, offering up his valuable time to help a friend in need
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2017 at 11:12pm
I think Goodyear beat you to it Jeff. They were called "Pencil Point Tread Design". Interrupting the center solid rib is a good idea for more traction. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 12:30am
It looks as much like an NDT as when it had the rounded point.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 3:00am
I'm just wondering what they would look like if I didn't cross over center as much. These pencil points go 5/8" past center line so that's an 1-1/4" wide section in the center. Tomorrow, I'm going to CAD out the tread with 1/4" or so over center line and see what it looks like ... perhaps I can find a "compromise" between looks, off-road performance, and on-road performance.

I cut up the other back tire today and drove 24 miles. Yes, there is more road noise, but it's not unreasonable. If and when I decide to cut up some good tires, I'll probably use a tire groover for better depth control and so that the inside corners have a radius.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec. 2017 at 2:01pm

Here are some drawings:

1st pattern is the original pattern. It looks like the end of the cavity is a semi-circle but in fact, it is 4 sided or a semi-octagon.

2nd pattern is what the tire looks like if you extend the top and bottom sides to a pencil point. This is what I did with my two rear tires. I did mine by hand and I have approximately 1-1/4" criss cross of the pencil points.

3rd pattern is what the tread would look like if the angles were extended 1/4" past center with a 1/2" overlap. in order to do this, I'd have to have a broken pencil point at the end. IDK, thoughts?
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2017 at 1:00am
I wish I could find a set of the NATO treads in 7.50 x 16 size....See:
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2018 at 3:00pm
Well it took me 4 days but i did it! all 66 pages. All I can say is Awesome! outstanding job. I feel both smarter and mechanically inapt after reading this haha! 
Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 2:55am
I don't get over here to often, but I try and stop by to see what you guys are doing. 

I hope to see you at the Friday Flat Fender Fun Run at EJS 2018! 

Love the new mods. I'll be in town all week this year at EJS. I hope we can get out on some trails! 

One idea for ya. I remember reading some stuff about modded programming/chips for GM fuel injection that allowed a much lower idle under load and better ( almost incredible ) low end stall resistance. It was a function that not many people modded on the early GM fuel injections engines. 
42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 3:03am
Hi Brennan,

Thanks for the compliments and thanks for the ideas from your own build.

Yes, I will be in Moab all week along with the other “Qwaaazy 8’s”. Here is the thread and I hope you will post your plans in it.

Easter Jeep Safari 2018
I’d really like to do Pritchett Canyon on Wednesday.l and I’d appreciate your presence. Think about it.

TBI. I would very much like to mod my chip. One thing I don’t like about the TBI is whenever you first start the Jeep, it goes to high idle for about 5 seconds which can be a problem when I start in gear. Also, every time I touch the throttle and let off, the idle stays high for 5 seconds. I wish I could elliminate that.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Metcalf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metcalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan. 2018 at 3:30am
That sounds fun. I should have time for a run up Pritchett. I might have two vehicles to manage if I get my new project 'done' on time. That trail is no joke in a short flat fender in my opinion however. 
42 MB that had a one night stand with a much younger 69 CJ5 and a 50s GM truck.

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2018 at 4:24pm
Brown Santa came today:

I've decided to change my rear locker out to a Detroit. Not sure if I will get to it this weekend.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 96>