Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Other Trailers Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep camper

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep camper
    Posted: 06 Dec. 2013 at 1:33pm
I've been intrigued about building a small camper to pull behind my flatty.Was wondering if anyone on the forum has ever built one?im thinking about building a 6'x8'x4' with a flat roof with racks to carry my nucanoe on top along with other gear.I have looked at teardrops ,but would rather have the flat roof .
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2013 at 3:28pm
Check these out!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2013 at 4:04pm
The thing to consider about pulling a camper trailer is your top speed is limited to about 50 mph and that is pushing it to the limit. 40 to 45 mph would be best. Now, considering that your going to be on two lane blacktop roads still competing with vehicles traveling from 55 to 70 mph. 

With that in mind, just how far do you plan to haul the camper with the Jeep? 
Life is only as good as you make it.
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2013 at 4:33pm

If you look here you will get some ideas:  http://www.tnttt.com/   note the there are a lot of different shapes.

My willys bucket list is to travel the perimeter of Iowa with a variation of a teardrop behind me.  So far all I have decided yet is to paint it olive drab.

I did buy a pioneer tool trailer  http://www.vintagemilitarytrucks.com/1978_Pioneer_Tool_Trailer_6F3551.htm   but it weighs in at 1,900 lbs  but would like to build one that looks like it.

Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2013 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by Carlsjeep Carlsjeep wrote:

The thing to consider about pulling a camper trailer is your top speed is limited to about 50 mph and that is pushing it to the limit. 40 to 45 mph would be best. Now, considering that your going to be on two lane blacktop roads still competing with vehicles traveling from 55 to 70 mph. 

With that in mind, just how far do you plan to haul the camper with the Jeep? 

I'm lucky enough to live in an area that has many back roads.Most places I plan on traveling are dirt roads or lane and a half no line roads.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2013 at 11:31pm
[QUOTE I did buy a pioneer tool trailer but it weighs in at 1,900 lbs  but would like to build one that looks like it. [/QUOTE]

I think the pioneer trailer would work really well as a camper, you would have to gut all of the excess everything off of it just to get the weight down.  That may include changing to a lighter axle. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2013 at 12:19am

You may be right.   I think I could replace the 19 inch hubs, wheels  for hubs from the front of a cj to mount 15 inch tires.   Those 19 inch rims are heavy.  Don't know where all the weight is but I ran if over the scales at 1,900 lbs.

That might lower the tongue enough to ride more level.

Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2013 at 3:53pm
Oldwillys, it sounds like you have the places to drive your rig. I assume the trailer will be 4 feet high so you may want to make it a collapsible trailer with a crank system to lift the top part up after taking the nucanoe and other gear off the top. It would give you more head room and there are a lot of travel trailers that use that method.  
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2013 at 6:09pm
Im not sure I have the ability to dive into a crank up camper.I like small teardrops except for hauling my nucanoe,I'm 5'-8" so a 4' inside height is along the lines of what I'm after as a sleeping trailer.i will build everything above the wheels,allowing me to have a canopy outside for sitting out and cooking under if it's raining.My goal is to keep it small as possible for 1-2 day fishing or early season hunting trips rather than driving back and forth.
DDddd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDddd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2013 at 7:44pm
Something like this?

http://www.weiscrafttrailers.com/roughneck.html
scott
Alabama CJ3B
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2013 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by DDddd DDddd wrote:

Something like this?

http://www.weiscrafttrailers.com/roughneck.html

Yes,that's what I'm thinking,plus I would never have to worry about loaning it out,nobody in their right mind would want to stay in one of those for any amount of time
dan s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2013 at 10:02pm

I remember seeing somewhere on the net where a pop up camper was made on a jeep 1/4 ton trailer like the M416 or M100.  It was very well done and I liked the idea.

I will share that I sometimes pull an M100 trailer with my M38 on club events or convoys.  Even an empty M100 will slow down my M38.  I not suggesting that it drags me down so much that I can't get where I am going, but any extra weight will be noticed with a flat head 4 Willys engine.   The Willys jeep and engine can very easily be overloaded as far as safety is concerned.

Good luck,

Dan

Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2013 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by dan s dan s wrote:

I remember seeing somewhere on the net where a pop up camper was made on a jeep 1/4 ton trailer like the M416 or M100.  It was very well done and I liked the idea.

I will share that I sometimes pull an M100 trailer with my M38 on club events or convoys.  Even an empty M100 will slow down my M38.  I not suggesting that it drags me down so much that I can't get where I am going, but any extra weight will be noticed with a flat head 4 Willys engine.   The Willys jeep and engine can very easily be overloaded as far as safety is concerned.

Good luck,

Dan

I know what you mean,i have used my little flattys for several years working my bandmill.I built a log arch to transport logs on the roadways and use my 2a to do all the hauling 1-10 mile range.The secret is not being in a hurry,like I stated earlier,the roads I'm dealing with are mostly under 40 mph range.I am very comfortable towing the weight of the arch and at times a 14' x16" oak log for several miles.I proved to my 19 yr old son recently that I could drive the 12 mile trip to town without touching the brakes and not be 3 minutes behind him.The art of taking ones time has been lost in the rush of things

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2013 at 10:59pm

If you build one I hope you will post the project here. 

Here is a tear drop story on ewillys  http://www.ewillys.com/2013/02/09/a-tear-drop-camper-for-a-mb/

here is a reference on cj2a site:  http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/jeep-and-teardrop_topic24767.html

here is info on cj3b page:  http://www.film.queensu.ca/CJ3B/Owners/Shank/Shank.html

here are some images:  http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=JEEP+TEARDROP+TRAILERS&qpvt=JEEP+TEARDROP+TRAILERS&FORM=IGRE

Edited by willys54wagon - 07 Dec. 2013 at 11:24pm
47&62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47&62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2013 at 3:49am
The other thing to consider is the frontal area in square feet. A trailer with a flat front is a lot harder to move through the air than the round area if a tear drop. If designing a flat top I would consider a round or pointed front to deflect the wind...just as important as the weight factor. Of course a pointed front end can be horizontal or what I prefer is a vertical point. The point can follow the tongue of the frame and provide extra room or allow you to make the trailer shorter and lighter.
47 CJ2a, 49 Willys wagon, 62 cj5
VE7EWS
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2013 at 5:35am
I pretty much decided on sloping the front somewhat,I bet the drag from a flat front comboed with the flat windshield would be pretty noticeable.I will draft several designs before I settle on what I think is the best.I was hoping some on here had built one,I have the frame from a small pop up that will most likely be my base,but I also have 2 two military trailers that I could use.I appreciate all the imput and ideas from everyone,I will take the hodgepodge of ideas and decide from them.
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2013 at 8:04pm
I don't think your going to see much wind drag at 40 mph or less.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2013 at 8:28pm
Check out this trailer that our old friend captainpattson put together. It's on his project thread, page 4, almost to the bottom.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>