Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best seat covers/cushions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caterpillarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best seat covers/cushions?
    Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 5:19am
Hello, I am going to be ordering new seat covers and cushions for my early 46. I was wondering what peoples opinions are on who sells the best quality and original looking seat covers? Also was wondering if my seat covers are supposed to be gray or olive? My jeep is harvst tan. Thanks, Caterpillarman
cj-2a # 20308
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 5:49am
I cant help with a answer to your question, but your nick name caught my attention. Whats the story behind it cpm?
So many projects and so little time.
caterpillarman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caterpillarman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 6:13am
I collect caterpillars, I think I have talked to you on the acmoc forum a few years back about a sixty you were working on.
cj-2a # 20308
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 7:44am
That could be. It would have been quiet a few years ago tho as i have not frequented the acmoc forum in quiet a while. I moved over to the original acme site and when it ceased to exist i started my own acme forum which i still operate. http://antiqueconstructionmachineryenthusiasts.com/index.php

If you get a chance come visit us there. Also if you know someone looking to buy a 60 send them to me as we have a couple for sale. Both in running order....but enough about cats, i see we both also have a love for old willys jeeps. On your question for seat cusions, i did meet a fellow at our tractor show last summer that showed up with a cj3B and i really liked his seat cusions. He found a small local upholstery shop that made them for him. The best part was they used actual seat springs in the bottoms, and they were about 6" thick and it really made the jeep more comfortable to sit in. The extra bit of height made for less knee bending plus the springs smoothed out the bumps better. When i get new ones made for my wilbur..3A...i plan to do the same. 3" of foam just aint enough cusion for the tushion.

Edited by kansascat - 08 Jan. 2014 at 7:46am
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 12:33pm
I've sat on 4 different types of Jeep seats. I think Kansas Cat is correct, a good set of springs ( hard to find) with new top padding are the best. Foams have different densities. Too soft and you feel the seat pan, too hard and you are looking at the top of the windshield. I lean towards the harder foam though. The original springs were quite good. If someone were to reproduce a nice set, I'd try them. A experienced seat upholstery shop can cut one to your desires out of foam they stock. They have customer feedback to go on too! Now if you want to know why the officers sat on blankets and pillows during WW2, just buy a set of MB/GPW original style seats! Wink John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 1:14pm

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 2:26pm
I had mine done by a local shop. Cost me $20.00/ cushion, I supplied the material.
Guess I mention this just to have people not overlook local shops as an option.
I don't have any springs, anymore, so he used a couple of different densities of foam, worked well.
Be careful with "thicknesses" of the foam build up, though! He made them too thick the first time and had to re-do them with slightly thinner foam to allow more room behind the steering wheel. 
Very happy with the job/price! Depends on what you want.
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 2:59pm
ralf, here on the fourm just got a new heavy material sewing machine.  I have patterns for bottoms and backs to take to him, hopefully today.   
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 7:08pm
Cute gals make nice seat covers.
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan. 2014 at 8:55pm
I wish someone would come out with some really authentic seat covers.  Everything I've seen is a rough approximation.  I guess no on really cares about a true concours restoration of a Willys, but it's kind of a shame.  I have some original material on a '50 3A and it is really quite different from anything available. 
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2014 at 1:04am
Originally posted by ersatzS2 ersatzS2 wrote:

I have some original material on a '50 3A and it is really quite different from anything available. 

Care to share a picture or two of what you have?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2014 at 2:12am
Here's an original 3A seat cover:

I replaced the original cover and springs with Beachwood foam and their rendition of a seat cover. I absolutely love the new seats but they are NOT the same texture as the original material.

'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2014 at 2:17am
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

Cute gals make nice seat covers.
cute gals as long as it your wife,LOLif you are marred.
dennis
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2014 at 2:44am
Originally posted by ersatzS2 ersatzS2 wrote:

I have some original material on a '50 3A and it is really quite different from anything available. 

Care to share a picture or two of what you have?
[/QUOTE]

OK here you go.  overview, then detail, then detail w/repro seat bottom from Kaiser or walcks in background.  I'm a fairly experienced collector: Ferraris, full classics, other 'important' cars.  Very authentic material is available for almost every finish.  But for Willys, rough approximations are all you find.   Granted these were very high production mass produced vehicles, but the community does not seem to demand the same level of accuracy you find in other marque sectors, eg early Fords... 
The color here, by the way, I believe is referred to as 'slate grey' 

Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

Edited by ersatzS2 - 10 Jan. 2014 at 2:52am
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2014 at 5:17am
I for one would sure like to see a lot more pics of the rest of that jeep ersatz. whats the story behind that jewel.
ersatzS2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ersatzS2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2014 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by kansascat kansascat wrote:

I for one would sure like to see a lot more pics of the rest of that jeep ersatz. whats the story behind that jewel.

Nice of you to say so but actually it's not all that special; it had a rebody about 20 years ago I'd say.  I bought it on impulse unexpectedly with a very low ebay bid when I guess folks were distracted with Christmas!   It came from Sacramento.  But the seats, gauges and drivetrain are all nice and original in worn but useable shape.  So it has a lot of charm.  My 2a in my Avatar is a much 'better' vehicle, and all original column shift '46 with rust free original body. 

skota View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skota Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2014 at 9:27pm
looks pretty nice, mine has that same brown glow from underneith when in the garage, sits next to an A3  as well :)
Product manager at Schwinn and Mongoose bikes
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2014 at 12:55am
I like it.    I like the color of both your jeeps.
 Post Reply Post Reply