Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picked up a Cherokee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 22>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 3:28am
SCORE!!
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 1:26am
I took the used wiper motor, from the parts Jeep, and disassembled it.  Rusty mess and one of the wires on the contact rusted through. So it was junk.

I ended up taking the one in my Cherokee apart and it was plastic gear stripped out.  I removed the gear from the parts Jeep one and replaced it.

I have wipers again! Which is great because it is always raining here!!!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2017 at 1:55am
Nicely done.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 8:40pm
I am going to have to take the wiper motor back off and try to adjust the electrical contact inside of it. When the wipers "park" themselves they are sticking to far up. When you turn the wipers on, they will drop down first then sweep up.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 8:42pm
Also power washed it on Sunday at work. Looks much better getting the grime, moss, what I think is mold ( From all this rain we have been getting ) and what ever else.

BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:14am
The new lights look good, but how bad did it hurt? I have looked at them when visiting 4X4 Parts and still scares me but would like have all that light available. I just keep watching & waiting for prices to come down.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by BENSH BENSH wrote:

The new lights look good, but how bad did it hurt? I have looked at them when visiting 4X4 Parts and still scares me but would like have all that light available. I just keep watching & waiting for prices to come down.

Got them off Ebay. Under $100. The description said they are DOT legal. They will probably end up burning out too soon or explode or something knowing how much this Jeep dislikes me! LOLConfused
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 3:13pm
Took the wiper motor out again to " fix" the contact so the wipers will shut off lower and out of sight.  Ended up being a huge cluster .... for me. Angry  

Took it out, took it apart, adjusted the contact, everything looked good, put it back in Jeep, turn ignition on, wipers automatically start and won't shut off.

Remove clip connecting it decides to get lodged somewhere, can't find it. Angry Lower steering column, remove gauges, find the clip, ( Replace the blinker notification bulbs. Had LED's in it but they never turned on. Now they work! ) Put gauges back in, raise column, remove wiper motor, go back inside, take it apart, adjust contact again, go back outside, plug in wires to test it, it works fine. Reinstall motor, connect everything, I put the off set arm 180 degrees off so wipers shut off in the up position. Angry

Take it apart again, blah blah blah.  It was a long night of failure. Cry

Remanufactured ones are $60ish and it would save me all this trouble but when you don't have $60ish dollars to order one and junkyards are not an option because there are none anywhere close...

sigh.

Today is going to be a good day, today is going to be a good day, today is going to be a good day, today...LOL
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:18pm
I'm calling it fixed for now. Took the motor apart at work, cleaned everything, put it together and it is now back in the Jeep. I drilled a hole and used a cotter pin in the one gear because it was spinning on its pin. Not suppose to.

So I have working wipers again.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 3:19am
Drove the Cherokee to the Oregon spring fling over the weekend.

Other then a loose exhaust mount, where the muffler rubbed against the driveshaft, it was a great drive. Over 400 miles round trip.
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2017 at 3:28am
Good thing you got wipers in that soup!
    1945 CJ2a 11495
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 3:26pm
So Tuesday morning I start the Cherokee up to drive to work. I don't even make it down my road when it dies. Angry Not cool.  Pop hood and notice no fuel going through the filter sight. Try cranking it over and no fuel.
 Since I was on my way to work I had no time to really look into it. So I push it back into a parking spot a few doors down from my apartment.  Jump in the 2A and go to work.

Thinking about it all day, I'm think the fuel pump is too blame.  Decided I am going to replace it anyway. Nobody carries it in stock.

Fast forward to after work I look under the Jeep at the lower fuel filter and it came apart. So the pump ran dry.

I go to Napa order a fuel pump and get a plastic fuel filter. Put the new filter in and crank it over. Eventually fuel gets to the carb and it fires up. Smile

I'm still going to replace the fuel pump anyway.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 8:19pm
This was the problem.

I replaced the filter over a month ago. (It was not twisted, I did that before I took the photo.) It worked its way loose.

Replaced it with a sealed plastic one, so I can still see it.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2017 at 4:49am
Replaced fuel pump. Actually went well LOL  New pump is slightly bigger, which whatever. It works, that is all I care about. 

I did notice the fuel pressure was more steady at 3psi.   The old pump was more erratic, jump all around from 0-5 psi Confused

Previous owner said he replaced it before I bought it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 6:47am
Drove my 2A to the beach earlier. Tried teaching my girlfriend how to drive a manual. She stalled it and it wouldn't restart. So her ex husband towed me off the beach to a parking lot, then my girl went to get my Cherokee and tow bar. 

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2017 at 2:53pm
Last night after I got home, I drdoppwd the key to my CJ under the hood somewhere in the Cherokee. It was dark, I was tired and I knew it was not on the ground.

So rise and shine early today at 6 am PCT to remove the grill, because I had a feeling it feel beside the radiator. Well it did. I removed the grill and the first spot I checked I found the key on the radiator/ grill support. 
 Let us hope the rest of the day goes this well!

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2017 at 2:44am
Since the 2A is dead for the time being and it has been nice outside, I have been walking to work. So today I decided I would drive the Cherokee for the first time since last Friday.  ( 8 days) to the grocery store.   I changed the springs in the carburetor and adjusted the choke. Actually ran better, so I am happy. 
 Didn't stop at the store because so many people. LOL
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2017 at 2:48pm
Ordered some quiet mufflers. I enjoy the sound it has now but not all the time. I'm sure everyone around this town just loves it too LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 22>