Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Your Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picked up a Cherokee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 22>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2017 at 8:32pm
Last time I drove the Cherokee was last Friday, when I drive an hour South to go on a hike. So last night I jumped in it to go to the store, it would not start. Was not getting fuel. Nothing looked out of the ordinary, so I sprayed some starting fluid in the carb. It fired right up but as soon as I let up on the has pedal it died.

Sprayed more starting fluid in it and it fired up again. I kept the RPMs upward of 15-2000 RPMs for about a minute. It then idles just fine Confused

It was uneventful the rest of the night. 

Not sure what happened. It was almost 100 degrees here yesterday. 

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2017 at 4:17pm
Jeep has been running fine so Confused.  Been driving it to my hiking destinations. Yesterday I drove about an hour South to Cape Falcon http://www.google.com/maps/place/Cape+Falcon/@45.7673341,-123.9704211,8231m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x5494b6c88b5e6fb5:0xa26d5caedbd040f5!8m2!3d45.7676062!4d-123.9823604

Since I have had the Jeep I have had this terrible annoying sound. It didn't happen all the time usually when it is cold outside. Figured out the passenger seat left rear seat mount was rusted and broken. It was the seat frame making all this noise.

Stopped at my hardware store and bought a 3/16ths thick 18x 6 piece of metal, cut it to size and sandwiched it  to cover the hole in the floor and bolted the seat down. I have not driven the Jeep since but a hiking trail is calling out to me today, so I will find out if this took care of the noise.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug. 2017 at 5:45pm
Went to the beach this morning. 

cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 2:29am
Beautiful!

Is the seat noise gone?
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2017 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by cpt logger cpt logger wrote:

Beautiful!

Is the seat noise gone?

Thank you and the passenger seat noise is gone. Of course it is now making noise on the drivers side now LOLConfused

JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2017 at 4:26am
Nice beach photo.

I continue to follow this thread with interest. Love this model Jeep. Keep us posted
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 8:26pm
Stopped at the grocery store after my morning hike.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 8:27pm
Get back in my town and this is less than a mile from me.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 8:28pm
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

Stopped at the grocery store after my morning hike.

Little did they know as young children that they would become  stepbrothers when Chrysler Married AMC.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2017 at 11:58pm
Great looking FSJ, I grew up wanting a new one of those,  but had to settle for a '60 willys utility wagon with a Ford V8 and a 4spd as a high schooler back in the middle 70s.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2017 at 7:44pm
The Cherokee will finally be going in for a wheel alignment at the Auto Tech college in town. I will also be balancing the wheels since none of them have any wheel weights on.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2017 at 2:28am
Big smile Vibration free hopefully soon.

I stopped by after work to balance the wheels. No one was there and since the Jeep was still on the alignment lift I did not balance them.  Not sure if he needed to do anything else to it. There was a note on my dash about what they did though.

"Caster is within spec at low end
   Cross caster is .15 degrees
  Camber within spec on LH side
     out of spec on RH side-
  Will need upper ball joint adjustment
  Sleeve to adjust

Toe is now with in spec. ( Big smile )

Steering shaft u-joint has excessive
 play near firewall."

I knew that u-joint was worn. I believe there is an "upgrade" you can do to it. Maybe using the XJ Cherokees shaft (?) I'll have to look into it.

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2017 at 10:22pm
Picked up the Cherokee today while at work. Drove it back to the main campus. Even with the worn out tires and a loose/worn steering shaft it was a much nicer drive.

Searching the inter webs I see others have upgrade half the steering shaft with an XJ Cherokee shaft. That gets rid of the rag joint. Unfortunately My upper shaft u-joint is really bad. Brand new ones are quite expensive for me to get but it looks like some others have replaced the whole shaft with one for a CJ5/7 with a manual gear box. I'll need to look for more information on that and/or find a good used one to try it out.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2017 at 3:09am
I enjoy following your thread.

Wish you (opposite coasts) and my parts '79 (3 hours away) were closer. I might have some parts for you. I have no idea of the condition of steering shaft. If you can wait, I can check it out next time I go up there.

Keep posting . . as mentioned before -> love seeing an old Cherokee occasionally.
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov. 2017 at 12:03am
Thanks for the kind words and also appreciate you checking your parts Jeep.
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 7:05pm
Dennis,

Can you tell me if your front axle is a D44, disk or drum and open or closed knuckle?

I recently bought a 62 Wagon and want to do a axle upgrade at some point so need to know when they started open knuckles and disks would be a bonus too.

Great thread!
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov. 2017 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by 48cj2a 48cj2a wrote:

Dennis,

Can you tell me if your front axle is a D44, disk or drum and open or closed knuckle?

I recently bought a 62 Wagon and want to do a axle upgrade at some point so need to know when they started open knuckles and disks would be a bonus too.

Great thread!

My front end is a Dana 44 with disk brakes, but you could also get drums on the front. Passenger side pumpkin, Knuckles are open. It is a 6 lug. I think it is the first year for that but not positive. I can't remember he gear ratio at the moment either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 22>