Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hub/Wheel Bearings...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
42 GPW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42 GPW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hub/Wheel Bearings...
    Posted: 20 Mar. 2017 at 10:44pm
Bearing = Timken # 18590
Cup/Race = Timken # 18520
Wheel Bearing Seal= Spicer # SP-17004
Good Luck Hope this helps Mike
42 GPW 81835 USA 20186310
1946 Bantam T3-C 10599 (Sold)
1991 M101A2
MVPA Member
NICMVPA Member
jwm1955 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwm1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2017 at 8:38pm
Timken is a well respected name, wherever they are made. I found new Timken brgs at the bearing distributor, They were in old "Made in USA" boxes. I think if you go to the FLAPS they may cross to another MFG. Seek out a bearing house, always go to the pros.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2017 at 3:14pm
Are new bearings of the same quality as the old ones? Lots of new stuff is frankly Chineese crap. Just look at the steering sector shaft issues on the jeeps, light switches, etc. Whenever possible, I try to rebuild as older stuff was meant to last. I'll pull them and look at before deciding.

Edited by mickeykelley - 26 Jan. 2017 at 3:30pm
chris insull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris insull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2017 at 8:04am

I fully agree with the above inspection criteria by jwm1955! However, my opinion is that unless the previous maintenance history is known, I would replace the bearings and seals as a matter of course. It's takes the same amount of effort to remove and inspect the current units as it does to replace them. A small price to pay for more piece of mind...

In my case, I had towed my first trailer home unloaded and never noticed any issues with heating, noise, etc. I had already made the decision to replace them and when I pulled the old units out I found wear that could have left me stranded when towing longer distances with a load in the tub.

JMHO... Replace them.

Edited by chris insull - 26 Jan. 2017 at 8:06am
1971 CJ-5
1946 T3-C S/N 30319
194? T3-C ACM 154291 (SOLD)
1967 Stevens M-416 (SOLD)
jwm1955 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwm1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2017 at 7:01pm
I usually make the determination by the Race. If it is pitted or has wear then the cone and race is replaced. The rollers can be inspected for pits and wear as well. Of course the seals will have to be new, so you can take a look at the inner cone and race. When you get everything cleaned up you can mate the cone and race and see if it turns smoothly.

Also inspect the axle for wear.
mickeykelley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan. 2017 at 12:01am
I drug my new to me T3-C 1,500 miles home last summer with no issues, noise, heat or any other noticeable issue. I'm in the process of rebuilding everything. When I pull the bearings out, how do I tell if I should rebuild vs just clean and repack them?
jwm1955 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwm1955 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2017 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

Dave, i have two sets of cups and cones, i will gladly send them to you if you would care to replace them when you find some. Mike

Just picked up bearings and seal to do my trailer. After lots of research I found 5 numbers of Seal that "would work". The match for my seal that was in the hub was a:

Timken 40566S

2.125 x 2.875 x 0.250

Hope this helps someone down the road.
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2014 at 10:40am
I just assumed...
Dave
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2014 at 12:44am
Originally posted by Hamhog Hamhog wrote:

Mike, it's Joe that needs them. I'm set on replacements. I'm actually getting ready to send my trailer off to get dipped/stripped.

I know dave, joe's real name is dave also   
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 10:41pm

Mike, it's Joe that needs them. I'm set on replacements. I'm actually getting ready to send my trailer off to get dipped/stripped.

Dave
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 5:36pm
Dave, i have two sets of cups and cones, i will gladly send them to you if you would care to replace them when you find some. Mike

45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 3:35pm
Joe,
Your signature block doesn't specify which trailer you have (unless I just missed it!) but the bearings/seals are the same for the early trailers as those for the early jeep hubs - including the hub.  I believe this was by design - so that those parts are interchangable.  Perhaps the CJ2A parts list show the bearings/seal numbers.  A quick search should help.  The 2A SM should show the same order as needed for the trailer hub assembly.

I read long ago that the military manual for the T3 trailer is good enough for the T3-C as a reference for service and parts with the exception of obvious differences, i.e. lunette vs. Fulton coupler and tail lights, etc.  The manual shows the correct assembly for bearings/seals.  The parts numbers are also there as well.

I wanted a printed manual so I ordered from Portrayal Press.  An electronic copy is avail on jeepdraw:

Scroll down and look for TM 10-1281

Edited by Rus Curtis - 20 Apr. 2014 at 3:41pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 4:17am
I just pulled mine apart, the bearings are Timken 18590. I don't have the race number.
Dave
Joe Frazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Frazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr. 2014 at 3:12am
I generally like to keep a spare set of wheel bearings with me for any of my trailers -
just in case!

My Bantam trailer is a a bit tight turning on the right side so I'm suspecting I may
have an issue that needs changed out. Might anyone on the list here have the bearing
numbers/seal numbers etc.? Would be nice to be able to order and have on hand to
do the job all at once vs. taking everything apart and having to then track them down.

Also, any such thing as an exploded parts diagram for the axle assembly on one of these?

Appreciate the good help and expertise as always!

Happy Easter!

Collecting any/all Kaiser/Frazer/JEEP literature/handouts/toys etc.
46 CJ2A
50 Jeepster
51 Pick-up
54 Willys Aero Hardtop
54 Kaiser Willys Darrin
56 Wagon
56 Factory Proto-type FC 170 Truck
 Post Reply Post Reply