Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mystery CJ2A Project Story - Build Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2016 at 1:56am
It's been a long time since I've posted, but the Jeep hasn't been forgotten. I spent many hours editing up my entire restoration into a little film. Here you can see the entire process in the (inefficient) order as they were done. A journey to see everything the Jeep underwent. 

I did have some music beautifully synced up with the video, but YouTube copyrights blocked it. Open up a separate tab and jam to your own tunes.

At the end of the semester, I brought the Willys down for a little trail riding. A couple friends and I went to RedBird Off-Road. If I'm going to put 600 hours into a restoration, I'm going out and enjoying it!

Once the trip was over, I dropped the Willys off at the football stadium so I could park my trailer at a friend's. On my way back as I created over the stadium hill I saw a swarm of police officers...and squad cars completely blocking the Jeep. In my head I thought about the lack of parking permit and how crooked it sat from rolling off the trailer.

It turns out they were excited to see a vintage army Jeep in a town full of passionless exotic cars. They even ran my license plate to see what year it was. All the officers were so excited, they called over their Sargent and he posed for some pictures. Hopefully I scored some brownie points LOL

Today I took it to the local cruise in "finished" form. Going downhill we hit a new speed record of 60 mph!

It's been a process of driving the Jeep, getting stranded from little issues like float bowl adjustment, and getting towed home. I think I've worked out most of the kinks of the restoration. Installing a new distributor has seemed to fix my electrical issues. A little more testing and I think she's pretty reliable. Maybe it'll be my daily driver to class!

Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2016 at 4:21am
Edit: I've been slowly adding the little accessories to make the Jeep stand out a bit more. The date of delivery on my data tag is the same one stamped on the tranny: 7-20-49

I'm heading to the Toledo Jeep Fest in honor of Jeep's 75th anniversary next weekend, and moving back to campus just a couple days later. I think the Willys should be my daily driver.

To achieve a goal in hopes of daily driving, I decided it was time to rip out the old wiring harness. It served me well even before the restoration. But it was ugly and barely made the Jeep function.

Installing a new Walcks CJ3A harness leftover from my grandpa's restoration. To hookup my surplus 6V WWII taillights, I'm going to add in a voltage reducer. To make a harness install easier, I pre-labeled each wire.

I have an irrational fear of electrical components and hooking up batteries, but everything was going so well. First key turn... dash light and gauges turn on. She starts right up but I hear a "pop" and shut it down. Just what I needed.

There was so much smoke rolling off the engine bay, I couldn't see the battery to disconnect it. It was absolute chaos; I debated running for the door. I can still smell the disintegrated wire, and I will have nightmares over that awful smell. I made a very, very stupid mistake by hooking the generator - to the voltage regulator + instead of the bolt holding the regulator to the body.

Yes that was all the smoke lingering in the air from 2 seconds of the generator shorting out. Luckily I have a fuse directly after the regulator, and a fuse box connecting every accessory under the dash. I rushed the generator and voltage regulator to the local rebuild shop. Other than nearly burning the Jeep down, it was a success. I mean look at those pictures!

Edited by Nick_ - 08 Aug. 2016 at 4:28am
Izzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Izzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug. 2016 at 12:41am
Lookin good neighbor. Have fun at the get together.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2016 at 6:34am
Looking back at my build thread it's great to see past memories. I'm still adding to the story.

I attended the Toledo Jeep Fest for the 75th anniversary of Jeep. August 13, 2016.

Next day we moved to IU.

Car show at IU stadium (lots of pavement here...)

Soon enough there was a flash flood in Bloomington. Of course, we had to inspect it.

The best day of all was October 8, 2016. A few buddies and I went to Badlands off-road in Attica, IN. We conquered just about every trail there- leaving Wranglers in the dust.

Water drain tunnel.

If you ever forget your campfire chairs, you're in luck!

All in all, it's great to keep using and abusing the ol' Jeep. During my restoration I hit a little depression about not being able to enjoy the Jeep after it was all pretty. I'm giving no mercy and it truly hasn't been scratched, or damaged. We're having more fun now than ever before. May she ride rough trails til the end of days.

Edited by Nick_ - 12 Oct. 2016 at 6:37am
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct. 2016 at 4:20pm
Nick,
  I watched your "700 hour grille swap" video. Smile  Very good, fun to watch. Nice work!  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345