Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

V-6 Brake Pedals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: V-6 Brake Pedals
    Posted: 04 June 2014 at 2:06am
Finishing up a Dauntless V-6 conversion to my 2A and have run into a problem.The brake pedal hits the engine block about 3 in from the floorboard,    I tried having the pedal bent but all that did was cause the pedal rod to hang up on the floorboard.  Is 3 inches enough travel for the M/C push rod?

Is there a separate part number for a early Cj-5 brake pedal with a V-6 or do I need to look at two bends in my brake pedal shaft.

What are some ways to solve this problem?

Fltfndr
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Luke_S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2014 at 3:20am
several people have converted to swinging pedals from an XJ or later CJ or even non-jeep application

I plan to do this while adding a small vacuum booster (which from what I've seen a TJ or later XJ is fairly small)

However, if you plan to keep through the floor pedals then bending the arm and elongating the through hole have worked for others
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 3:24am

I would think that 3" of travel should be plenty, if brakes are adjusted correctly  .  .   I took a quick look at mine,  I do not think it would hit block, even at quite a bit more than 3".     I wonder what is different?  Mine has the stock size hole,  and no bends in the pedals or levers, etc.

windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2014 at 4:40am
Yes the early cj5 with the v6 had a different brake pedal.   look for one out of a 66-71.  I like the pedals up threw the floor, it's part of what makes it feel like a Willys!Wink

Edited by windyhill - 06 June 2014 at 4:42am
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply