Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Injection

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug. 2014 at 12:20am
I would be using a magnetic breaker type electronic ignition conversion on the existing dizzy. Fixed, then I would run it through the computer for advance purposes. For that matter don't even need a crank angle. The original dizzy will do.

Microtech (or Wolf 2D etc) which you will have ready access to in NZ will have the appropriate setup depending on what pieces you use.

Throttle body injection doesn't rely on group or sequential fire unlike multipoint injection so keeps the sensors much simpler (and fuel pump setup also.!!) RPM (from coil) and manifold vacuum (load) plus a simple throttle position switch (on/off) is all that is required. Can get fancy and put in oxygen sensor, speed sensor and use 3D laptop programming but I don't think thats necessary. A good run up on a dyno using a knowledgeable person will give all that is needed to tune it.

Or others simply raid the entire setup off an EA Falcon (which will be in profusion in NZ wrecking yards) with throttle body injection. Wiring, computer the lot. Don't need ignition control so makes it simpler.
CJ2A rebuilder. Let the Willys Jeep live again.
micjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2014 at 1:10am
This is actual measurements of a L/F134 conrod minus the slot and designed for interference fit using the original pistons gudgeon pins and bearings. No more pinch bolt or designed in weakness. i am waiting on the actual set now.

CJ2A rebuilder. Let the Willys Jeep live again.
mrlentle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrlentle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2015 at 7:36pm
Is this still coming together or?
http://willysm38build.blogspot.co.nz/
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2017 at 1:33pm
Just wondering what ever became of this project?
46 2A 29938 (unrestored driver)
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
00 TJ RockCrawler "Hooker"
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
00 TJ frame off resto “Stacy”
beentheredonethat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beentheredonethat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2018 at 10:37pm
Hello,
New to the Forum and very interested in your build. Particularly the billet rods and forged pistons. I am unable to find a source in the states for these items. Currently I am looking for another Flat Fender project and have long toyed with the idea of coaxing a bit more power out of the L-head. I have been running around in these things since I was a kid in the 60's. Also, are you able to find the Willy Willy head or the Hickey head?
Thanks
47 Willys,Stage1 455, Indian 111
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec. 2018 at 10:42pm
Welcome to the page, beentheredonethat!  Lots of us have been wondering for 4 years what's become of this project.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2018 at 11:35pm
I would LOVE to get my hands on a Willy Willy head.... just to set on the shelf!
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2019 at 4:37pm
I just read through this once again.

I like those Conrods for higher highway rpm. but I cannot afford them.

And, I have been tossing around in my mind of using the throttle body off of an '89 Honda Civic engine and grafting it over to my L134 engine.

I am just too busy with other projects to even look through the local Pick-n-Pull yard for a Donor vehicle with a Throttle-Body unit.
   Get this:   Rochester makes the factory fuel injection for the 3.2L Isuzu V-6 multiport injection. So, that tells me that the individual auto mfr's do not make their own fuel injection, it is "sourced-out" to the major mfr's.

I wonder who made the OZ unit that was shown on the thread start ?

I am going to have to go snooping around the small autos for a throttle body and engine control system. :)

The challenge may be to 'perfect' the location of the O2-sensor for proper sensing which will require a good analyzer to read fuel-air ratios and block temp sensor operation. Many things to adjust once the system is in place.
   oh, you were going to set your idle speed ?   nope, the ecm controls it on most throttle bodies with a TPS.
    Did you digest your TPS report today ?    hahaha you got the memo right !

Just teasing, but the more I delve into working on fuel injected auto engines, the are really pretty basic. The TPS (throttle position sensor) tells the ecm to hold the injector's open longer for acceleration with throttle butterfly open.   All good stuff. Now, I need to get a handle on the newer O2 sensors which have a variable reading rather than a fixed reading.
   My brain is getting flooded with trying to digest so much information that is shared here on the forums, that I had better end this dissertation, and move on to another sector thread.
   There is one nice thing about fuel injection - Instant Start-up.

Len
Doodledad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doodledad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2019 at 9:04pm
My TBI is based off of the GM TBI found on 87-95 GM Trucks. It uses a MAP,O2,CTS and ESC and on the TBI a IAC and TPS to regulate fuel and timing. The distributor was fitted with a Hall effect to advance the timing as needed. The set up works well.  I’m not sure what kind of support you would be able to have with other factory take offs from foreign cars. There’s many people that can send you chips with the data you collect to dial-in a TBI on your L134.  Very inexpensive and very easy to find parts for these fuel injection set ups.  
51 3A "Wilma"
55 3B Fountain
47 2A Yard Art
97 XJ “Lafaunduh”
13 Rubicon JKU "Alice"
48 C2A Eileen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12