Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

L134 twin carb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L134 twin carb
    Posted: 23 July 2014 at 12:04am
I am constructing a twin carb set up using locally sourced GM/Holden parts from the 1960's. There are quite a few advantages to this. Cheaper and readily available here unlike Carter carbs. And readily tuneable with an adjustable main jet.

Twin carb set-up (186 ci engine)   Stromberg Carburettor           Adjustable main jet

Needless to say an adjustable main jet makes the difference. Plus the accelerator pump has 3 positions as well. I have even fitted these myself and driven with them and they are very effective at all rpm ranges. Actually even the oil pump from the 186 is rumored to fit the Willys with some mods namely distributor engagement. Advantage, full flow oil filtration. I have seen the photo of one. Next little upgrade project after this one.
CJ2A rebuilder. Let the Willys Jeep live again.
Luke_S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2014 at 12:46am
I could be off base here, but weren't the carter carbs based off the strombergs?
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2014 at 1:29am
Strombergs were part of the Bendix-Stromberg group and developed separately from Carter.
micjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2014 at 2:14am
Strombergs were part of the Bendix-Stromberg group and were developed separately although at the same time as the Carter. Remember the old Stomberg 97? They were often used for hotrodding flathead V-8's. Very effective too. The stromberg 97's dear as anything now.

The one pixtured above is a BXVU-02 Stromberg. It has a reinforcing angle across the top of the carb. The later pollution era ones used here avoid them. They lopped off pieces of the choke plate and other unwanted changes such as EGR, non adjustable mixture screw etc.

A pair of these BXVU-01 fully reco in original cadmium plating/anodizing only costs some $200 each. Every corner servo usually has a kit for these carbys here. The YF Carter here sells for some $500 each. WO Carter? Skys the limit. And parts availability is limited here. Easy choice.

Anyway back to manifold. Not too easy to weld as a lot of outgassing happens. Will try a different rod after grinding out the weld. Oh well.
micjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2014 at 9:10am
I managed to cut the old intake manifold right next to the heat box. Ithen cut the tube abount 1" from the flange and turned them both 90* Welding was interesting however a packet of satincraft rods seems to do the trick. I welded both inside and outside and ground it smooth inside with a carbide burr and outside bench grinder and angle grinder. I will finish it off better later.

Looking down from top                                                              Side view

The exhaust manifold is from a F134. One broken stud to remove. I hate that job. The block is actually a F134 and still even has the bolt holes for the L134  intake. Just how similar these engines are is unreal.

Next job is to notch the uprights and cut the pipe (piece of offcut galvo pipe, yuk ) and sit it half way.

Then I will make a small extension on the up rights about a 1 1/2" and groove to suit the crossover. Add on some flanges to suit the carbs, clean up and get it HPC coated. Silver. Smile
micjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2014 at 3:02am
I am on the home stretch. welded in a crosstube or balance tube. Then build up the top slightly so the carby will not be too close to the exhaust manifold. My welding isn't the worlds best but it will do. Galvanising yuk.

As can be seen here is that the F head motor is near identical to the L head motor. (apart from the obvious, the head!!) This motor has no engine number. The factory actually forgot to stamp it and sent it to Australia. I found this one on a cattle station (ranch). It will do as a replacement block if needed.

micjen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micjen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2014 at 4:43am
Moving on. Put the carby flanges on. I have only welded the inside as yet. Next job is to clean up and finish welding. Then dummy up the carbs and join them as one. Take off, clean up as necessary, sand, sandblast and HPC coat to look like a bought one rather than a collection of offcuts.

I would have loved a tig as using stick isn't very nice but it does work. I welder I am not.

HillBillE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HillBillE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2014 at 5:30am
Should look pretty sweet when finished up!
5 Jeeps, 4 HAM radios, and not enough things that go 'BANG!' (no, not hammers!)

N1CJP

'47 CJ2A #112146

'46 CJ2A #23754

'52 CJ3A #452-GB1-10197
 Post Reply Post Reply