Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 140>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 1:33am
Well hopefully I can get the Sheet metal painted before we get to cold this year and I get at least 3 solid months off this winter so I can go to town on the assembly.

98% of all parts are in hand and about 85% of all work on parts and pieces is done (except body work) of course I'll surely come up with some other complicated something or other that will waste a bunch of time.

BUT at this point the Goal is the First Weekend in August as that is to me the most important car show which is here in town at the local park during Homer Davenport days (local son that did some great things around the turn of century (the last one before this last one)

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 4:06am
Homer Davenport?  Didn't he invent the couch?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 4:14am
You asked https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homer_Davenport

He was a Political cartoonist at the time one of the highest paid in the world
many political historians credit him with being a huge help to getting Teddy Roosevelt elected president. Due to his supportive cartoons in the newspapers. Not to mention he was the first person to bring breeding stocks of Arabian Horses to the US.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 4:25am
It could worse. Has last could have been Divan.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 4:30am
Or Chesterfield, maybe.
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 4:34am
Mark, you've got a lot of good ideas here.  But I was wondering how the tri-y header came out?  I've designed them a couple of times for friends, but my welding skills are somewhat less than useful.  

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 1:30pm
Have not gotten to the Header as yet. I have the design in my head to be modified to fit once I get the engine in the chassis and start on the steering. There will be many photos of it once I get going on it.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Have not gotten to the Header as yet. I have the design in my head to be modified to fit once I get the engine in the chassis and start on the steering. There will be many photos of it once I get going on it.

Looking forward to it.  Most of the ones I did were for Chevy Vega 4 bangers.  Once you got them figured out, they were actually a pretty good little engine.  But the early ones were something else.  

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2017 at 11:49am
So today I am trying something a little different in an attempt to beat the heat and get more then a little bit of work done on CHUG.

The wife has to get up at 3am for work on Sunday. So I had her get me up at 3:30 I should be out in the shop by 4:30 the heat hits the Jeep Shop about Noon to One. I also have the lawn to mow and about 1/2 a ton of Wood Pellets to hump into the storage rack in the laundry room. Both jobs will be better before the heat.

So today I'm going to build the Toe Board Gusset to Frame mounts and see about hanging the Front Fenders and Grill in an attempt to locate the Fender to Lower Cowl mounting holes.

Also up will be painting and making ready to gasket up the Water Pump on the Engine I finally got the long Stainless Button Head Bolts I been needing to finish up the Water Pump install.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2017 at 2:44am
Yahoo I managed to talk to the one other 2A owner I knew of in town tonight. His jeep is an early 48 (ACM Tub) He knew very little about it having bouhht it on a lark. They thought it was a Pinto engine. In fact its a 134F.

As a result I was able to check a bunch of things I needed to know. From the vertical position of the fenders to will there be clearance for my header.

And it turns out all these plans and a few more will work out.

Edited by Mark W. - 06 Aug. 2017 at 12:33am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug. 2017 at 12:12pm
4:00am 5 hours sleep made breakfast for the wife (on her way to work) sitting at the computer sweat is already soaking my tee shirt. Wondering what to work on until 7:00 when I can start making noise to annoy the neighborhood. Guess I'll get the shop all opened up to help cool it down a little.

Second weekend of the get out of bed way early plan to get something done on CHUG.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug. 2017 at 3:40am
So I worked on my Fenders Sunday. I took apart the Right inner fender removing the whole section where the Battery box is located. I then removed the same much better condition piece from one of my spare fenders. I was disappointed to find out the hat channel Fender brace was more rusted on the inside then I could accept. And that the one for the left side I had bought new a dozen years ago isn't even close to fitting. SO new Fender braces are on the way from Walcks.

I spent the majority of the day grinding dirt, paint and rust off inner fender parts.

I also got the last tub mount brackets (the ones that secure the Toe Board Gussets) installed they worked out very well.

Today my latest package from Summit Racing showed up a Big Jug of Lucas Break in Oil 30wt. and the Stewart Warner Oil Temp gauge and the two senders. Turns out the Senders come with threaded adapters one of which is 1/2 NPT Brass and will work perfectly as a Transmission drain plug. I'll have to pickup a 3/4 NPT to 1/2 NPT adapter bushing to install the sensor in the Engine Oil drain plug.

I Also received a package from Waytek which included my 3 position Ignition Switch a couple of ON-ON toggle switches (to be used to switch from one oil temp sender to the other) and a couple more of the HD Pollack Push Pull switches I will be using for most my electrical stuff.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2017 at 3:00am
When I used CJ-5 body mount pads under Ol' Unreliable, the resulting body lift made the front-fender-to-frame mounts not fit.  So I left those two bolts per side off.  Some day I might make mounts for the fenders like the other body mounts, with a CJ-5 pad to join the fenders to the frame.  Right now, I don't see any problems with the fenders mounted only to the tub and grille.  It's something to consider.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2017 at 4:26am
When dad bought CHUG the side braces were actually welded to the Frame!!!! Since I am getting brand new braces I will modify them to fit the Holes or modify the holes to fit the braces. I'm like that. I only have a 3/16" to 1/4" lift over stock depending on how you measure the stock pads Of which I had none.

I do think I will for go the inner fender to frame mounts as I don't think I have ever seen an original that these weren't torn up. Seams like a piss poor place to try to bolt a piece of 18ga to the frame.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2017 at 2:16pm
Well here it is 6am on a Sunday morning I am already dripping in sweat and have been at it nearly an hour already. Our Heat wave broke finally but it did so with a light rain so humidity is very high (hence the SWEAT) I been drilling and cutting out spot welds and goober welds trying to remove the battery box section of my Right Fender. I had no idea how bad of condition dent wise the fenders were until I started taking them apart. They will be a Challenge!

Looks like once the New braces arrive from Walcks I should have all the pieces I need to assemble a couple decent looking Fenders (depending on my body work straightening out some of the dings and dents). Sure glad the various pieces have the registration holes or this would be a real night mare to get all the parts lined up properly and welded together.

Hopefully the Hood and the Grill will be a little less involved.

Back later in the day with a progress report.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2017 at 6:00pm
MAN I am tired of not being able to keep crap out of my lungs when I grind. A full beard is just not the amateur body mans friend. I wear a respirator and still get crap I need to hack up when I quit.

Going to have to look into a full coverage something when I paint.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug. 2017 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

MAN I am tired of not being able to keep crap out of my lungs when I grind. A full beard is just not the amateur body mans friend. I wear a respirator and still get crap I need to hack up when I quit.

Going to have to look into a full coverage something when I paint.

Good idea. back when I used to do woodwork I wore a full rubber mask with my beard. Not perfect but it worked much better than a paper mask.
Redwood was my devil.
uncamonkey
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2017 at 2:00am
SO work threw me a wild curve ball. Wednesday afternoon about 3:30 (normal time to find out what we are doing the next day and load times etc) I get a text that says "Sorry for the late notice but night paving has been moved up to Thursday Friday and Saturday night. Will text with load times Thursday afternoon!)

So now I have one day to get ready to go on night shift that I have no idea when its going to start.

SO I think how can I best use this to get something done on the Willys. SO I decide to go to bed normal time 9-9:30 and get up at 4 am on Thursday. I will then get out in the shop by 5:30 and work my ass off until 11:45 spend 15 min doing clean up and then come in shower and eat a good lunch. THEN take a NAP.

SO at 5:45 am I get a text. "Are you awake?" I answer yes. And I get "Cutting back on trucks tonight Head to you truck call me when ready ASAP"So I change into work cloths make a lunch and race into Salem to fire up my truck. I end up working 9.5 hours mostly rock hauling some paving.

At 4pm I get a text will test with Friday Night starting times in afternoon.

So I fall back to my original plan and work on the Willys in the morning and then try to nap. I manage less then 2 hours nap partly because I am worried about the starting time.

I get up the text comes through Start time 9pm !!!! I could have slept for 5 hours and still had way more time then needed.

SO I get to the job and at some point in the total circus (we are paving multiple repair sections in a Shopco parking lot with all sorts of traffic wandering drunks and a grinding crew and paving crew that both jump from one spot to the next almost always in a way that what ever truck is waiting happens to be pointed the wrong direction) They decide to Just get it all done. SO I ended up with a 12 hour night on very little sleep.

Hit a couple garage sales on the way home (large cup of iced coffee in my hand the whole way) Picked up 3 more good working 9.6 Makita batteries for my old drills. And a nice hand squeeze vacuum pump. Got a few more sanding disc's and I am set for my NOW long weekend. NO WORK until some time Tuesday,

Slept from 10:30 to 2:30 Got a little grinding done on one of the fenders and I got the wood fillers in the new braces replaced with Micrata. I think one more session of grinding and they should be ready to start the hammer work, followed by assembling the parts, followed by more fine tuning with hammer and dolly. And then some serious soaking in Phosphate.

Lots of goober welds in all the crack prone places to clean up and redo. The seams that I didn't break down all need to be tightened up so I am going to drill and pop rivet them so I can add some plug welds (then drill out the rivets and plug weld those holes).

I'm sure hoping I can find away to fit the Series 31 Battery I want in that space in the Right fender. I really don't want to have to modify the bump out.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 140>