Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475 140>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2019 at 10:34pm
So lots more work to do before I am totally happy with the main part of the Header but this will give you guys a very good idea of how its going to look. I have the bottom section (below the 4 in line flange) laying on top of the top section (above the 4 in line flange to the Header Flange at the block) and the two strips of aluminum holding things in alignment are still stocking out there.

I have purposely left the top section of tubes long as we all know its much easier to recut then it is to add to something. I want to now work to get the top half into the 4 in line flange. Should be able to finish that today. As I have it set right now the 4 in line flange will be right at the level of the top of the frame rail. At least the long flat section of the frame in the middle of the jeep. I believe this will give me decent access to all the socket head bolts holding the flange together. I want to be able to break this down easily so I can adjust my valves.

It was a total PITA trying to find the right combo of elbows and angles and order or appearance so that I could get the tubes from 1-2-3-4 in a straight line into two pairs 1-2 and 3-4 that would end up stacked on the other side of the cross member as 1-4 beside 2-3 to be able to go into the proper pairing at the collector cones.

I still need to do a BUNCH of measuring to make sure the tubes end up as close to the same length/volume as possible. I am hoping to get close to 48-50" long over all and within an inch of each other.  Some fancy bends and such will have to work that out before the pair of collectors.

I used the short section of tubing you see in the rear intake port to judge how close I came to hitting the intake ports and I am within maybe .015-.020" in about 30 degrees of the circle of the port and dead on the other 330 degrees. SO I will carefully with a half curved file open that area up and I will be golden. This I couldn't be happier about.

Edited by Mark W. - 20 Jan. 2019 at 10:42pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2019 at 10:37pm
Mark, are you running a hotter camshaft, ported/relieved block, or modded combustion chamber with this high-flow exhaust?
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2019 at 11:01pm
STOCK NOS CAM (an actual Willys Cam I got on ebay some 15 years ago) No port work. Only compression chamber work is to shave the head .035" and deck the block .007" This is slightly more improvement then a stock Kaiser SuperSonic head would be.

The engine as it sits is now is 140 cu in has a 7.2- compression ratio (measured with a graduated cylinder)

So I have increased the size of the engine by 4.5% and increased the compression ratio by .72

LuzonRed47 I am sending you additional details via PM.

Edited by Mark W. - 21 Jan. 2019 at 1:30am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 1:45am
Last photo for today my back is killing me.

I have the top section all jigged up and aligned. You can see where a couple of the tubes extend out past the bottom of the 4 into 1 flange. I purposely cut them long as until it was jigged up like this I couldn't tell exactly where to trim the tubes for length so I cut the #1 to the length I wanted then added a little to the other three. Once welded I can come back in and cut/grind/hone them down to flush with the flange.

I still need to round the corners of the Header Flange and I am thinking about cutting a bit of a relief between the outside and inside tubes.

Oh and I also need to clamp the intake manifold up to the Header Flange and drill its mounting holes as the mounting flanges on the intake manifold have not been drilled yet. It will be really cool to see what the intake manifold mounted with the Weber sitting on it will look like (PHOTO OP)

I will tack the tube pieces together from this setup and then take this apart and finish the welding and then decide if I am going to grind the welds which I will do before welding the Flanges on so much easier to deal with individual tubes then an assembly.

I was talking to some real hot rod guys and it was suggested I look at Eastwoods header interior coating. It reduces heat transfer through the pipes (which helps with velocity as well as not heating up the oil pump and MC) its not expensive But I am not sure how to cure it up before I break in the cam (the 2000 rpm cam break in is to hot to cure the coating. So I might have to do that when I readjust the valves after 500 miles. Its not expensive So I might do the whole primary and secondary tube section of the exhaust.

Looks like the 4 in line flange will end up in a really good place to add a little aluminum head shield on to it using the flange assembly bolts. I also double checked and with my long T handle allen wrenches I will be able to reach the 10 bolts quite easy YEA!

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 5:50am
The time and effort you are putting into that header I would have it Jet Hot coated but that's just me.

I've had good luck with them in the past and would have to say I can't think of ANY aerosol that would compare to it.

Just a suggestion.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 6:38am
Thanks for the advise I'll look into it. You know me I tend to be DIY.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

You know me I tend to be DIY.

I do too but sometimes I choose to bite the bullet and pay for a service that is going to give superior results contributing to an overall better quality of a project.

At that point I don't see it as a slam to my DIY abilities just a better, more satisfying end result to the project.

(there really weren't that many examples of this building Frankie but where they were I'm glad I spent the money when it was all said and done however much I didn't want to at the time)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 4:43pm
Jet Hot does a nice job. I had them do the manifolds on my Jag. Originally porcelain but as soon as water hits it, it comes off in shards of glass. Did it twice in 8,000 miles. Gave up and sent them to Jet Hot.

Not as nice as porcelain but appears to hold up well. They had a goof up and mixed up one of my manifolds with someone else’s. They were really good about it and I got a T shirt it of them. 

I plan to do both the intake and the exhaust on my Jeep. It helps with heat soak.

Love the progress of your headers. I would like to do the same since I too plan to get a little more out of this motor.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 4:53pm
Well I talked to a nice young lady at Jet Hot this morning I did an online quote thing last night and they called me this morning. I gave her the measurements for the first two sections of the Header (4 tubes 1.5" OD x 48-50" long) and she quoted me $200 for the base coating (the Silver) and if I wanted to add a top coat color (I asked about White) it would cost another $100. And then of course shipping to and from AZ (there closest site). SO since I would be doing this after I get CHUG up and running or just before  (shooting for 1st of August) the cost will be no problem as I'm working 60 hours a week that time of year. Good chance I'll go this route. Thanks for the suggestion Chad.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 5:09pm
..... ....I've had tubing headers done black. Have had cast iron manifolds done both silver and black.

The silver dulls up, I prefer satin black.

Cast iron headers on Frankie are done as well as the exhaust tubing/glass packs.

(a slight disclaimer....treat it like powdercoat in the respect that any future repair will need to be prepared after the coating goes on. So just make sure everything you want done is done before you send it off for coating)

Edited by rocnroll - 21 Jan. 2019 at 5:21pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 5:19pm
Mark,
Curious if you are adding an O2 bung in the collector?

I have a hand held wideband O2 meter. A nice tool for tuning especially with that Weber you plan to run.

If you would like to see what the Jet Hot coating looks like in black, shoot me a PM and I will send you one.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Steelyard Blues Steelyard Blues wrote:

Mark, Curious if you are adding an O2 bung in the collector?

Good point, I installed one in my head pipe before coating on Frankie as EFI was in the plans for a short while but didn't go that route just plugged it and it's fine.

See my disclaimer above.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2019 at 8:03pm
Had not thought about the O2 bung I could easily do that past the last collector .I have a couple of guys tuning numbers for the Weber and had figured on going old school tuning from those starting points but having the bung would be a great idea should I have any problems. Thanks have to scare one up.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 3:56am
OK had to go back and do some catch up today. Rounding the Header Flange, drilling mounting holes in the Intake manifold mounting flanges, Then fixing my screw up (I drilled the holes with the Intake on the wrong side of the Header Flange. Good thing I was pretty accurate when I drilled the holes. I caught the mistake before I drilled the last hole and when I flipped things around the proper way I was off a good .020-025 for the ports matching up. SO I made the mounting holes a little bigger and lined everything up clamped it down. Drilled the last hole and then came back and drilled a pair of 1/8" D locator pin holes. Which will locate the Intake exactly to the Header Flange. And I will most likely do the same to the block once I get to that point. That way I can fiddle fart around now getting the ports as accurately matched up as possible and then later when I pull everything apart to adjust the Valves or fix something. It will have to go back together exactly the same way. I'll use some 416 stainless I have to stave off rust etc.

Now some Photos first is my fat ass drilling the intake holes. Had to do it on the bench couldn't fit things under the drill press. The wife thought it was funny so she took a video (which will never been seen)

Next up we got some shots of the Intake manifold mounted on the engine for the first time ever (never had mounting holes in the flanges)

Distance between runner 2 and 3 and the bottom of the intake Phelum is closer then I would like but THAT OIL PUMP is in the way and I can deal with a little heat. I'm also looking at actually making a carb warmer that picks up air of those two runners for cold mornings. Since I will be running a forced fresh air intake.

Tomorrow back to the Tubular fun. I now need to figure out how to get around the cross member.

The good news is my supply of tubing bends is holding out nicely. I started out with 14) 90's and 7 180's and I am currently still holding on to 6) 90's and 3) 180's and all I have to do is get two of the tubes up over the cross member and then move two of the tubes over about 2" to get them in the proper stack for the 2 into 1 collectors. I think I'll make it!

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 4:34am
I'm curious as to what it would sound (and run) like with nothing after the tubes as they are in the last pic.  Once you get it together, consider--just once--taking the exhaust apart right there... just for fun.  Big smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 6:33am
Oh drag race mode!
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 9:44am
Thanks for the pictures. You are doing some nice work. There seems to be a bunch of old guys with fuzzy grey beards on here.
uncamonkey
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 10:44am
That manifold is a work of art. Beautifully done! 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7172737475 140>