Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A little project update on Chug A Lug

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 141>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2019 at 9:08pm
A Harley buddy of mine had them do the pipes for his bike.  They do the inside so the chrome stays on.  pipes don't get hot on an air cooled 120-R Harley motor on a summer day.  You can lay your hand on em with the motor running.  DO that with my 103 your gonna be looking for some burn ointment.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2019 at 10:35pm
LOL I would if I had a TIG welder or knew how to TIG weld. no this is done with my Lincoln Weld Pak 140 on 110v with .024" wire MIG with 25/75 gas. I goober weld the joints and then with my 2 x72" belt grinder remove it down to the level of the tube. Then with a arbor mounted flap sander I smooth it down further finished up with see sawing 220 grit paper back and forth to remove any flat spots etc. If I get a flaw more noticeable then I can live with or if I think is a weak spot I hit it again with the welder.

I was asked on another forum if I had a dxf. file for the header. LOL I had to ask what a dxf. file is. He thought I must have used some sort of CNC design or something. NOPE this was designed manually I used 1.5" OD sink J trap pipe and elbows made from glued up plywood and ground to shape with my belt grinder until I had the majority of it figured out then I switched to using cut Exhaust bends until I got what worked.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2019 at 10:36pm
Yea talking to the nice lady about their process sounds like they will be perfect. Double coating on the outside and a single coat on the inside. And they stand behind their product. Been at it since 1991.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2019 at 11:30pm
I sent them my glass packs, pipes, cast iron headers and all and was well pleased....I used satin black.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 5:31pm
Weird chain of events leads to progress.

So yesterday I needed to run into Salem to meet a guy giving away some Tool rolls and some wrench and socket organizers. With my sons new job as an Air compressor Service Tech I been helping him flesh out his Tools.

On the way in the truck a 98 Dodge Dakota 3.9V6 stumbled as I pulled out into traffic and took a while to recover (almost like it was loosing the fuel pump which was replaced less then 2 years ago) Then not 10 blocks further it died as I went to move after waiting for a traffic light. It would not restart couple guys helped me push it into a gas station parking lot I was beside. I waited a min or two and it fired back up. I almost ditched the idea of going to get the tool stuff..

Then on my way out of town (12 miles of county road between Silverton and Salem) the check gauges light pops up!!!! crap I look down and the temp is 260!!!!! OK so I got a leaky water pump but hey I filled it up just a while back (in my world that could be easily 4 months LOL) I flip on the heater full and watch the gauge it cycles down to 220 I'm headed to the one gas station between Silverton and Salem so I keep going. I get there pop open the fill it through here reservoir with Water.  And back on the road I'm going to be late.

The temp comes down in a few min to the 180-185 it should be and pretty much stays there. SO I carry one I meet the guy I get the stuff I head home. All is well I get home back to working on CHUG.

Pickup truck forgotten

I fall asleep in my chair watching TV and wake up at 3:30AM turn the TV off walk through the house turning lights off. When I get to the remote that turns the Porch light off I notice theres about 3" of new snow on the ground. I head up to bed. Wife pops up to head to the bath room and I comment to her good thing she's not working there's snow. AND then I lay there thinking about that DAMN PICKUP I filled with WATER sitting in the driveway.

DANG it I was just getting warm and I get up get dressed head out to start the truck and dump some Antifreeze in it (yes I had 2 gallons sitting in the chemical cabinet in the carport/garage)

As I walk to the truck I notice the wheel barrow full of scrap wood that has been also full of water for a month (I really should do something with that) and I see the water isn't even frozen!!! I pop the hood open the Radiator dump a half gallon of antifreeze in it. Start it up run it for 10 min and get bored. SO I shut it off and say screw it not that cold.

Well as I go to get into bed about 4:15am the wife gets up. I feel like pancakes so I take a shower and go down and make pancakes. Heck I got at least 3 hours sleep.

5:30 I'm in the shop ready to finish up tube number 3.

And now at 9am I already have the Collectors welded on the ends of the tubes. Trying to figure out how to clean up the welds. I'll have to pull them out of the 4 in line Flange to be able to grind them. And then work them back in. I could have the Bottom Section of the Primary's all welded up today.

All because of the pickup truck acting up.

And MAN I hope that stupid fuel pump isn't going out again. Taking the bed up off the frame to get at it wasn't a big deal but I sure don't want to buy another $167.00 fuel pump. Thats Willys money in my pocket.

OK pretty sure the collector welds are cool enough to handle break over back to the shop.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 6:43pm
OK 10:30 4 in line flange welded to tubes. Waiting for it to cool lots of weld nice and HOT. Now to put it on the Belt Grinder and make the Flange and all that weld Flat. I screwed around with the Top half using a file and sanding block. Screw that took for ever and just hurt my back more. SO the bottom is going straight to a new 80 grit belt on the 2 X 72" and when that looks pretty good I have a couple really stiff 180 grit belts that should get it to the point a little sanding block work and it should be good.

I'll touch up any welds or fill needed before the 180 grit.

I want this section done.

I need to get the 1.75" bends ordered and I can't do that until I get everything under the jeep and lined up so I know what I need. I already have a bunch of extra 1.5" I don't need a bunch of extra 1.75".
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 7:21pm
Mark, I had that happen on a Nissan 4 x 4 years ago.....is the a fuel pump RELAY on yours?

I found that out the hard way after installing a new pump.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb. 2019 at 9:22pm
I will certainly check that out. Rocnroll

The Bottom Half of the Header Primary's is all welded up The Flange is ground flat the 10) bolt holes have been chased and counter sunk. And its bolted in place.

I have a little more then 1.125" of clearance on the #2 tube in the middle of a 130 degree curve to the Oil Pan. And it appears I will be a little tight on my steering shaft depending on where I put the next U-Joint in the mix and if I can angle the column a little bit to the left on the bottom end. I may also end up with a 3rd U-Joint and second Hiem bearing. Won't know for sure until I have the tub on and start playing with the column and shaft. It very obvious from this point I could have never done my original design where the 4 tubes passed the Oil pump in a square. The in line orientation was the only way this was ever going to work.

The #3 tube does hang down lower then I would like (its below the level of the oil pan) but it is what it is. As I am not intending any Rock Hopping I should be OK. Clearance around the MC is pretty good except for right on the very forward end of the MC and the part of the Header where the 4 in line flange is and thats pretty close again about 1.125" plenty of room for a fancy heat shield.

I'm not going to Weld the Primary's into the header Flange until I have more of the stuff around it completed in case I need to move it a little (there's enough play to move the header about 5/8" right or left). I'm going to end up with a little longer Tail Pipe then I thought I want to have about 24" Secondary's and with having to make a 45 degree turn coming away from the Primary Collectors to get the Secondary's to the left of the Transmission Cross Member and then back towards the Center of the Chassis so the tail pipe can be clear of frame and stuff on its way over the Rear Axle.

Time to order some 1.75" bends. And rest up my Back this has been an experience.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Grumpy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 5:31pm
Mark, sorry to here about your daily driver, you would not get away with just water around. It was 2 degrees above here this morning. I can hardly wait to see the reader bolted up, we need PICTURES. 
Great work! 

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2019 at 5:42pm
Oh I think the Daily driver is going to be fine. This time of year the pickup sits a lot and I wonder if it gets water in the tank. If it is the Fuel pump then its about a 3 hour job to replace it and since I have done it before should be pretty easy,

I'll get some photos today showing the Header and intake in place. I as with many things I design and make one of been thinking how I could have improved it.

For instance I have plenty of clearance between the bottom of the MC heat shield and the top of the Tubes enough I could have easily made the top half of the primarys 1.5" shorter (would have required the lower bend on #1 and #4 to be a few more degrees) and this would have raised the bottom of the header #3 tube up to the same height as the Transmission Skid plate. And I could have then used that extra 1.5" on the end of the primarys to add a little more curve to the tube getting the length balance closer.

But it is what it is and I seriously doubt I will ever make another or try to modify this one.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2019 at 2:33am
Todays photos. Not a lot done today waiting on brown Santa to bring Bends. I did get the New Weber DGV located to my fancy Intake manifold. this took some doing My first attempt at reaming the holes for the locating collars did not go well. I got it figured out though.

So some photos of the Carb mounted in place.

And now a couple snaps of the underside of the new exhaust. The bottom of the #3 tube which is the lowest point is currently 11" off the floor of the shop the bottom of the Skid Plate is 12.5" The two 1.75" tubes coming into the frame from the right are sitting on the two aluminum bars (with all the holes) which are clamped to the underside of the Skid Plate. They will end up at this height.

I have done some questioning of much more experienced Header builders then me and it is recommended I keep my Secondary's between 15" and 18" long to best work with my 36" long primary's. So it looks like I will end up with the Flange to the Tail pipe just behind the Transmission Crossmember. I should have ordered another 2.25" bend. OH WELL.

The bends I need to continue should be here some time tomorrow. That will give me time to get a couple more suggestions on tube length.

Shorter will make it easier to handle and cheaper to have ceramic coated. I just want it to make some Torque and a little HP.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2019 at 9:43pm
WOW taking a break from the exhaust while I wait for tubing to show up. I decided to work on the Throttle linkage. Since the Weber DGV is mounted with the linkage 90 degrees to the line of the stock linkage I have to add a bell crank to change direction NO PROBLEM after 40 years of building control line model air planes I am pretty good at this kind of linkage.

Problem is the HUGE choke pull off assemble on the right side of the carb as mounted. Is in the Way.I just want a simple manual choke I really don't need a vacuum system to pull the choke off at some point the carb decides. I can do that.

SO now I am trying to find a way to by the proper linkage That which would come on a Weber DGV-5A and all I seam to be able to find are conversion kits that change a water or electric choke to manual operation BUT these all keep the silly Choke pull off.

I got a couple emails out to Redline and Pierce hoping I don't end up having to buy individual pieces from the parts list cause that looks like I could get to over $75 for a couple of pieces of bent metal and a rod or two.

I guess I could always make my own PITA.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2019 at 9:52pm
Mark, your handwork and engineering of those two beautiful manifolds is outstanding. Love the pics that look down on the engine showing the manifolds and the Weber!
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Craig M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2019 at 1:43am
Just curious I have noticed that you have areas on the flange that are marked with marker after everything is welded and complete are you going to cut those areas away.
Snojet slice & dice on the ice
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2019 at 6:07am
I had thought about that but as it turns out I may end up using the area to mount part of the throttle linkage.. I also just could come up with a good enough reason to go to the extra work. A Stock Fel Pro manifold gasket will work with this setup so trimming it would just be more work. Also more mass means less warpage when welding.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2019 at 8:06pm
Busy morning slinging goober welds all over the place. The end result is I have a BUNCH of grinding to do but Once I get something to eat and weld the 2 into 1 collector at the end of the Secondary's they will be pretty much finished (OK OK I still have a bunch of grinding but I am not going smooth on the Secondary welds they are just to hidden to care that much!)

The position of the Secondary's came out very well I have about 5/16" clearance from the sloped section of the transmission cross member. The 2-1 collector will sit an inch or so from the cross member and provide a place to put a hanger. I ended up with about a 16.5" secondary which is about half way between the recommended 15-18" And the two tubes are within 5/16" of each other. I had three blow throughs welding up the Secondary's one of them I had to cut a little patch for. So I am sure the inside isn't perfectly smooth LOL.

I'm going to be a bend short of being able to complete my Tail pipe since I have to now angle the tail pipe away from the Left frame rail (where the secondary's are to get the pipe away from the spring hanger the E Brake cable and in a position to go up over the axle. I think I have enough Bend to get to the Muffler. I can always add the little exit pipe as its going to be clamped to the muffler as the muffler is clamped to the Tail pipe. I figure clamping it makes sense cause if this little soup can sized muffler (body is 6" D x 14" long) I can easier swap to the next size up a Oval shaped Turbo the same length and in out position.

I bought 10 ft of 1.5" straight tubing USED NONE OF IT I bought 5' of 1.75" straight tubing I USED NONE OF IT At least I will use a couple ft of 2.25" straight I haven't bought yet.

I can see the end of this tubular nightmare and I am rushing towards the light.

OH and I figured out the Throttle mech. No way to do a typical push rod / bellcrank type setup just not enough room. SO I am going to swing the throttle arm on the carb the other direction (pointing down not up) and I will use a Motor Cycle type brake cable traveling in one of the 90 degree steel tubes they use on motorcycles. SO much simpler and cheaper then 4) rod ends and hours building a Bellcrank and mount. I can easily make a simple mount to hold the carb end of the cable. I would not do this if the Weber wasn't internally sprung to return to closed if something happens to the linkage.

Edited by Mark W. - 09 Feb. 2019 at 8:11pm
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2019 at 9:37pm
Never throw anything away You never know

So I am finally working on the Tail pipe section of my exhaust. The Secondary's are all welded up. So I start at the Muffler as I know exactly what I need to get from the Muffler up and over the axle.

Once I have those pieces all taped up and looking good. I start on the Flange end of the tail pipe. First big hurtle is pounding the dang 1" section of straight I need before a scrap 45 degree (I call it scrap as its shorter then it should be due to the kerf from cutting two other pieces) I have to figure out how to clock this piece so I can get out around the Heat shield for the Line Locks and the Proportioning valve. In the process I discover I pounded the 1" straight piece in from the wrong side of the flange.

OK tear that all apart and redo it. In the process I loose track of the second scrap .45 which will go on the end of a 4" piece of straight. SO I have Flange/1" straight/scrap 45/4" straight/scrap 45 then on to a long straight section that will connect with the curves going up over the axle.

I look every where for that damn scrap 45. In the process I notice a piece of 2.25" OD exhaust tubing in my small piece scrap box. I pull it out and remember its from Building the Exhaust for the wife's 67 Mustang 21 years ago.

Its not only the same size it has exactly the correct bend to it to be the last 45 that comes out of the Muffler that connects to the short pipe that exits behind the Right Rear Tire. A bend I was going to have to order because I miscalculated what bends I would need when I ordered.

SO after sitting in my scrap pile for 21 years it turns out to be the perfect piece (I don't even need to cut it just true up the ends on the belt grinder and wire brush the cosmoline  stuff off it. Saved me $33.99 compared to if I had to order another bend to finish the Exhaust

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2019 at 2:40am
OK Exhaust system now goes from the Block to the exit under the rear cross member behind the Right rear Tire.

I will do the welding on the tail pipe section tomorrow. Then once thats done I can come up with some hangers

A shot of the Secondary's Not as pretty as the Primary's since they are hidden and my lunatic OCD gave up when my back did. Not to mention my supply of abrasives.

And the Tail pipe in all its taped together glory. Coming off the Flange on the back of the Secondary's and heading past the Brake stuff. Also angling in towards the center of the chassis.

Up over the axle. I would have liked it to be a good 1/2" higher as the bottom of the pipe is the same level and the contact surface on the rear axle bumpers. I might try to raise it a little once its together with the hangers.

And a rear view showing my huge Muffler (a flow through Turbo style) And the exit pipe.

The elbow coming out the right side of the muffler is the one I found in my scrap box.

Edited by Mark W. - 11 Feb. 2019 at 2:43am
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7475767778 141>