Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 CJ2a Willys Jeep finds a new home

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1947 CJ2a Willys Jeep finds a new home
    Posted: 15 Dec. 2014 at 6:03pm
Well here it is guys.  Nothing to get excited about for you long timers to the hobby but to a newbie's first Willys Jeep lots of fun.  This Jeep is a 1947 CJ2a # 155307.  It's body number is 144640 and the engine number is J167090.  Being a novice these numbers really don't tell me much.  Hopefully some of you can enlighten me.  Mechanically the vehicle is driveable.  Right now it will not pass an inspection though.  The tub is a rust bucket.  I believe the original color was Luzon Red.  Unfortunately I have no history on it.  I just brought it home Saturday so am still assessing what to do first.  Eventually I believe I'll do an off the frame restoration.  Please comment with suggestions and advise.  Thanks for looking at my post.  Oh, can anyone tell what those brackets were for on the rear of the Jeep?  Thanks.

PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2014 at 6:12pm
Looks like mounts for a homemade swing away tire carrier. The two pipes on the corners are for the soft top bows.

Jeep looks pretty good to me.
"90% of all carburetor problems are electrical"
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2014 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by PhillipM PhillipM wrote:

Looks like mounts for a homemade swing away tire carrier. The two pipes on the corners are for the soft top bows.

Jeep looks pretty good to me.

X2
Call Walcks:
Get a gasket for the inner windshield.
Is that the original ccolor?
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec. 2014 at 9:36pm
Kilroy, I believe the original color was Luzon Red which is darker than the red on the vehicle now.  It appears to only have two coats of paint on it, the original and the current red.  Thanks for the identification of the bracket on the rear of the Jeep.  Looks spot on to me.

Red Dog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 12:26am
I think you have a great Jeep there! I see some things that have been changed/moved on the dash but that is very common. Looks like the ignition switch was moved from the right side (near the diagram shift plate) to the left side but the original foot starter switch location on the floor is still being used. Always lots of little things which make each Jeep unique.

My '47 was made just a few months earlier than yours, based on the numbers you listed. It is too bad that it didn't come with a history, but you can make you own from now on!

Enjoy the restoration ride.
I work out at the gym so I can eat cookies!!!!
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 3:03am
looks like a great start! keep us posted on your work.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 3:42am
Even long timers to the hobby get excited when an "new" Willys enters the picture.  Does not look that bad.
 Like others have said, it looks like mounts for a swing away tire carrier.
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 4:12am
Looks like a great start to me. Good find. It's sure a lot better then my first 2A.

Enjoy

Mike
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 11:23pm
Hi Guys.  Begging a little help here.  Is this grill correct for my 47 CJ2a or is it for a later vehicle?  I believe the parking lights are for the later Jeeps.  As I fix things I'm trying to make her correct.  Thanks for everyone's patience.

1947 CJ2a #155307
Zuma58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuma58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2014 at 12:42am
Tub is a rust bucket?? Hardly, I should send you pics of mine!Wink
Steve
Long May You Run!!!
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2014 at 12:45am
Your grill looks like it belongs on a later 2A. The park lights are not original to a 2A. The grill was modified to accommodate your park lights. The grill would have looked like this prior to the modification...

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2014 at 11:56pm
Just a quick update.  Made a couple of panels for the rear tub.  It's just a cosmetic fix until I restore the tub. 
1947 CJ2a #155307
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2014 at 5:23pm
Oh man that looks so much betteršŸ‘ nice work.
Looks like some one made drawbar extensions on each side. Also looks like the original spare tire bracket at one point was bolted to the upper RH side of the tailgate.
willys522000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote willys522000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec. 2014 at 8:19pm
It looks really good, I think I would drive it a little before the frame off.  That would be a lot of fun.

Brett.
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec. 2014 at 12:17am

Hi guys.  Just bought a NACO tail light for my Jeep.  Discovered it was a 12 volt application.  I checked this site to see if I could find any information about a substitute bulb without any success.  My Jeep Operation & Care Manual shows the proper 6 volt bulb is #1158.  I dug in my box of bulbs and found the 1158 bulb has opposite posts and the socket in my tail light has staggered posts.  I dug a little deeper and found a couple with posts that fit the socket but they are all 12 volt.  After a little research and a call to my local auto parts store I found a satisfactory 6 volt substitute.  The number is 1154.  Sorry to be such a dummy about this stuff.  Thought I would share this in hopes of helping other newbies work though a similar experience.  Thanks for everyone's patience.  Wacko

1947 CJ2a #155307
Dirtmonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirtmonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2015 at 12:31am
Originally posted by willys522000 willys522000 wrote:

It looks really good, I think I would drive it a little before the frame off.Ā  That would be a lot of fun.
Ā 
Ā 
Brett.

I agree with Brett! Drive it for awhile before frame off!!!!
Current: '48 CJ2A #188461, '97 Jeep TJ, 2010 JK Unlimited (wife's), and a '97 Jeep Cherokee
Sold: '71 CJ5, '61 Willys Wagon
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2015 at 1:00am
As to the bulb you can most likely just take one of the tabs off the bulb with a file and it will work fine. We did this all the time going the other direction from a car that started out 6V and was converted to 12V like my 40 Dodge coupe. I think one time we put a thin piece of brass shim stock in the socket to take up some slack cause one tab wouldn't hold it.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2015 at 1:31pm
Thanks for all of the great advice guys.  I truly appreciate it.  I have another question now.  Somewhere in the CJ2a world I've read what color the wheels can or should be for the different color schemes on our Jeeps.  Heck if I can find this information now.  Can anyone help an old dummy out here?  My Jeep was originally Luzon Red and I'm likely going to go back that color when I "officially" redo the tub but I'm interested in all of the color schemes.  Thanks a million in advance.
1947 CJ2a #155307
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>