Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1947 CJ2a Willys Jeep finds a new home

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2017 at 1:32pm
I also had great results with the sharpie paint pen and tracing around a bucket, A new bucket works best so it has less burs on the edges, make sure and inspect the edges really good and clean off any burs with a razor blade, otherwise your pinstripes will look like lightning bolts...rrrr

swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 10:41pm

Edited by swmoboy - 15 Sep. 2017 at 1:51am
1947 CJ2a #155307
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2017 at 11:34pm
P.M. sent
Phil
John Dilsaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Dilsaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep. 2017 at 1:25am
Hi swmoboy.  

It was fun showing my jeep projects to you the other day. Nice looking jeep yourself.  

I've been using postimg.org to host images, mostly over on the 3a site.

I can help with that site if needed.

jd

47 CJ2A 86772
49 cj3a 31865
45 gpw   
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2018 at 1:33pm
Hi guys.  I've been absent for a while due to health issues and life happening.  No real progress on the Jeep in a while and even tried to sell it last year.  I know, shame on me.  Now that life is leveling out a little I'm going to try to get back on it and see if the ole girl will forgive me for my pause and her neglect.  Since my last post I have licensed the Jeep as a historic vehicle and completed a few minor cosmetic fixes.  Since I've owned the Jeep it's always had dirty carburetor issues and has progressively gotten worse.  It's to the point now it will not run unless you have your foot on the gas pedal.  The first order of business will be to rebuild the carburetor and go through the fuel system to address any issues found and also fix the fuel gauge.  Once that is tackled will likely attack the transmission as it's pretty tired and while I've got that out will pull the clutch and put a modern rear main seal in the motor.  I'm assuming that is what is causing the fairly serious oil leak that occurs every other or third time when I park it.  Anyway, hopefully I will be updating my progress as it happens.  Thank you all for your understanding and patience.  Happy New Year!
1947 CJ2a #155307
RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec. 2018 at 2:55pm
Glad to hear your going to keep it around and get it up and running again. 

Good luck. 

Mike 

swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2019 at 12:50am
Hit a snag on the carburetor rebuild on this project.  The pump plunger shaft is a few thousands too large to fit through the bowl cover slot.  Tried it on a couple of different bowl covers and would not fit the slot on any of them.  Have contacted the vendor for recommendations on a fix but not heard back.  I bought this rebuild kit over a year ago and it's just been sitting on the shelf.  Going to order a new kit from Scoutpilot (not the same vendor) and pick his brain a little.  If these old Jeeps were easy it wouldn't be any fun.  I always keep the baling wire, duct take and a large hammer handy for the difficult stuff.  
1947 CJ2a #155307
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2019 at 1:19am
Those accelerator pump shafts are in need of some size reduction.  Generally you need to clean up the sharp-edged side at least until it will fit through the hole easily.  Note that the originals were made much more clean.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2019 at 1:48am
Thanks.  Just shot an email off to Scoutpilot ordering a new kit for another WO and advice on the accelerator pump issue.  I have already thought about gently dressing down the shaft a little but this particular one is about five thousands too thick and one or two thousands too wide.  That doesn't sound like much but it's intimidating to a novice as I don't know how forgiving the design/engineering is on the precision of the vertical travel of the pump?
1947 CJ2a #155307

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2019 at 1:56am
Check how much smaller the original is compared to the replacement.  You can make the new as small as the old without worry.
47heater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 47heater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2019 at 12:12am
Glade to hear that you are back at it. Get that Jeep running & bring it over to Rush Springs Ranch this spring. Pineville, MO is not that far away from you. We have a post under Shows & get togethers
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 12:24pm
Slowly making some progress.  I have a spare carburetor rebuilt and waiting on a gasket and spring for the Carter fuel filter.  Thanks to Ol' Unreliable and Scoutpilot I was able to adjust the size of the accelerator pump shaft and it's now fitted and working.  My solution was to paint some steel blue on the shaft and then with my Dremel slowly polished it off.  Did that four or five times which helped me monitor and control how much I was removing.  Worked great.  I chose to rebuild a spare carburetor to "learn" on and will rebuild the carburetor that is presently on the Jeep once I know I'm doing it right.  If you guys spot something wrong with the carb in the pictures I'm posting please give me the heads up.  I'm a novice and learning and appreciate the feedback.  Thanks to everyone with their patience.
1947 CJ2a #155307
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2019 at 12:28pm

Edited by swmoboy - 11 Jan. 2019 at 6:49pm
1947 CJ2a #155307

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 3:07am
Well, if it runs as good as it looks, you'll be happy as can be!  Thumbs Up
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 3:20am
Carbs work better if they are turned the right direction and photos are better if the camera is turned the right direction,
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 4:09am
Strangely enough, when I copied the pics from here I expected to have to turn them over in my "Jeep Pics" folder but they were properly upright when I went to look at them.  That's never happened before...  Question
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 4:41am
When I copied the pictures from my files they were upright.  Then when they appeared on the page they were sideways.  Nuts, that's the way things work for me.  I'm kinda an analog guy so this computer stuff is foreign to me.  I just recently went from an old flip phone to a more modern "smart" phone.  Then I immediately deleted or deactivated all of the apps that the phone didn't need to operate it.  Back on the carburetor though.  After I got her all back together I decided to recheck the accelerator pump and can't quite get it to 17/64th's.  I'm at 15/64th's.  I have attempted to adjust the throttle connecting rod to no avail.  What else could be causing it?  How forgiving is this setting?  I have contacted Scoutpilot with this dilemma.  All advice is appreciated.  
1947 CJ2a #155307
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan. 2019 at 6:43pm
Okay, update.  When I rebuilt the carburetor I wasn't 100% satisfied with the pump plunger travel measurement so I decided to go back in and recheck it.  Sure enough it was off by 2/64th's or so.  I proceeded to try to figure out how to fix it and nothing worked for me.  I watched Scoutpilot's YouTube videos and read everything I could find to no avail.  I finally emailed Scoutpilot and he basically said some of the old parts are better spec wise than the new parts.  Going back in I pulled the throttle connecting rod and the pump link connector and compared them to their used counterparts.  The culprit turned out to be the pump link connector.  I replaced those two new parts with the old parts and it measured perfect the very first time.  A lesson learned and I sincerely thank Scoutpilot for his patience and instruction.  
1947 CJ2a #155307
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>