Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unmolested CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unmolested CJ2A
    Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 1:49am

About 2 weeks ago a neighbor of mine introduced me to a new old CJ2A that belongs to a friend of his.  It's in excellent condition and as I looked it over, I began to realize that it was a real time capsule on 4 wheels.  It only has 22,000 miles on it.  It still has cloth-jacketed wiring, and it's in very good shape.  It has the original Potomac Grey paint on it, worn in a few places.  The back seat has the original grey naugahyde seat cover, but the front seats have been recovered.  It feels like they put new covers over the original seat cushions.  It has an operating key'ed coil.  It has a pto and a rear mounted unit for running a belt.  It also has a crankshaft-pulley-driven winch.  That's something I've read about but never seen before now.  The owner has a full canvas top frame, and an almost full set of original canvas.  He would like to get the canvas rebuilt/replaced so he'll have shelter from the sweltering sun and driving rain. 

Here's a series of photos that I took of the Jeep last night.  It is serial no. 71980.  Any guesses on when it was made?  Let's look at the photos........

This is original paint and pinstripes on all 5 wheels.  Amazing!!

It even has the steel elbow in the lower radiator hose.

Here you can see the key in the key'd coil, and the recovered front seats.

The only non-original part here is the tail pipe.

It has a full set of original bows and rods for the top. And they are not bent!!

Here is part of the crankshaft-driven PTO winch set up.  Very interesting.

The canvas is all pretty rough, and some parts show some "home modification" like the plywood to replace the glass in this door frame.  But Bubba at least kept all the metal door and window frames with the canvas.  Steve would like to replace all the canvas and glass, and use all the metal parts to keep the top as correct as possible. 

Steve plans to have this 2A jeep on the Fall Colors Tour this year. 

And as a special treat he said he would tow his amphib jeep over to my place so folks can check it out during the Fall Colors Tour.  SWEET!!
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Hamhog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamhog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 2:02am
So that's a late '46 or early '47? Let him know, I have an original tail light for it. He just needs to sell it to me so I can put it on. Very nice! Both of them.
Dave
Stretch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stretch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 2:07am
That seep is worth way more than anything I own....
1946 CJ2A #44093
1946 CJ2A #44754
1952 REO M108 Crane/wrecker

Pile of parts...
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 2:10am
Late 1946. Last 46 CJ-2a #83380. Source- 'JEEP" by Jim Allan.
willys jeep
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 2:14am
I think including mine that is only the 3rd of that particular winch I have seen.

Beautiful Jeep.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 2:28am
That's a very nice Willys. Where has he been hiding? Is he close to Nathrop? I would like to see the 2A and the GPA.

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 2:38am
Wish I had neighbors like that!
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 4:49am
Sweet! Nice to see in such original condition. Hope to see those someday in person. Thanks for posting.
DanB View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 5:26am
Originally posted by m38mike m38mike wrote:

It is serial no. 71980.  Any guesses on when it was made? 

Mine is #71699.  It was ordered 10-11-46.  Purchase date is listed as 11-23-46.
These two jeeps were made within a few days of each other I would imagine.
'46 CJ2A #71699
'48 CJ2A #160127
gmcjr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmcjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 8:00am
One word..... WOW!
Gary

51 CJ-3A
46Willard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 4:35pm
A lot of interesting vehicles there besides the jeeps. The GMC motorhome and the Chevy Blazer camper, have not seen one of those in a long time.
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 6:11pm
Steve, the guy who owns these vehicles is an interesting guy.  And he has lots of money. And lots of vehicles.  He bought this 2A and another at the same time because he liked the looks of them.  He did not know what he was getting.  He had thought about modifying this one to make a mountain jeep out of it, bigger engine, bigger tires, etc, until I told him what a jewel he had in original condition.  Now he's excited to retain it in original condition.  He asked about repainting and I advised him not to.  He's got a few things to fix to make it work correctly and appear more original, but they are minor fixes, like seat covers. 

Delmar, my neighbor, and I are going to blast and repaint the top bows and rods.  I've got a couple of footman loops to replace for him.  We need to fix the underfloor clips to hold the rear seat in place.  And we need to do a thorough inspection of the wiring harness to make sure there isn't any exposed wires poking thru the cloth jackets.  So far I have not seen any exposed wire. 

I have not seen the other flat fender jeep Steve bought.  He's talked about bringing it here this spring.  He wants to buy another set of rims for this jeep, and put some "trail tires" on it for driving in the mountains.  That way he can preserve the painted rims and the pencil-point NDT tires he currently has for use in car shows here locally.  He's already planning on joining us for the FCT this year, so anyone coming will have a chance to see this jeep up close and in person. 

I'm excited to have learned of this jeep.  I think it's the best preserved old jeep I've seen in private ownership. 
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 8:22pm
Thanks for posting! I like to see/look at stuff like this. Bruce W's Uncle Linden has a GPA radiator in it! Seeing the GPA reminded me of it. We said------" who in the world would even have a GPA that needed it". Now we have a possibility.  Look forward to seeing it! John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar. 2015 at 9:20pm
Picket Grey isn't it?
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2015 at 12:01am
I'm glad you were able to convince him to keep it original and not modify it. It would have been a shame to see it cut up.
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2015 at 2:24am
Mike, thats one beautiful Willys. Hope to make it to FCT and get to see it in person as well as everyone else. Thx for sharing the pics with us all.
So many projects and so little time.
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2015 at 9:13pm
That's mighty fine looking stuff your friend has there Mike, but isn't he a little sore at you leaving all those drool spots everywhere!!  LOLSmile
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

combat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote combat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2015 at 2:47am
Boy thanks for posting that . I love to see great old unmolested jeeps like that.  Hopefully I can make it down to FCT this year to see it and the GPA.   Thanks for talking him out of altering it!Clap 
Frank

GPW 96842
CJ2A 10399
48 CJ2a
49 cj2a
GP

Where there's a WILLYS there's a way.
Montana Rocky Mt. Flat Fender Club
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>