Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Locking Hubs or No Locking Hubs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 4:51am
why I switched back to drive flanges. Unloaded my jeep at the Nirthern Colorado Run two years ago and found this. 

I panicked for a minute or two thinking the next two weeks of flatfendering ecstasy was ruined. (A few of us had planned to keep the fun rolling down south in Ouray.)

Luckily I remembered I had a roll of duct tape in my recovery bag. Wrapped it up with a few layers of silver magic and ran it for the next week there in Northern Colorado, and then around Ouray including Black Bear Road and The Wall at Poughkeepsie Gulch.

I decided that if I am going to wheel this jeep, those selectable hubs are point of failure that I don’t need.

Your mileage may vary.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 3:37pm
Stan, I remember when you first posted those pics--and admiring you smart, cheap and effective field repair!

This is a great example for the locking-hub-vs.-no-hubs conversation. In the extreme wheeling that you and a lot of 2A Pager's do, any 'appendage' on the jeep extending beyond the body sides is vulnerable. Most hubs use an aluminum housing that's less than robust when slammed against rocks. My 2A spent the first 30 years of its life plowing snow, serving as my dad's (a carpenter) source of supplementary winter income. It was a 4-seasons road vehicle and twice did road trips from Philly to New Hampshire--it's been up Mt. Washington. No real off-roading. Horses for courses... 
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 4:31pm
The later style drive flanges that are round  and not cog shaped would be stronger and work better against rocks.  Now yo need some one to design a hub cap that is not stamped metal - more like a pipe cap.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 5:47pm
I used to have locking hubs but I kept losing fishing buddies gators would grab them when they went to lock in the hubs.  switched over to drive flanges and never looked back-except when sking of course! and to grab a cold one!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by jeeper50 jeeper50 wrote:

I used to have locking hubs but I kept losing fishing buddies gators would grab them when they went to lock in the hubs.  

Now that right there is funny!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 10:18pm
Wow - an early post-war Willys GPA copy!

I used to have locking hubs but I kept losing fishing buddies gators would grab them when they went to lock in the hubs.  switched over to drive flanges and never looked back-except when sking of course! and to grab a cold one!

Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 5:12am

I used to have locking hubs but I kept losing fishing buddies gators would grab them when they went to lock in the hubs. 

Lol, that’s funny right there!

I have locking hubs all the way ‘round on Gus.  I would rather have the driving flanges on it but, I might be flat towing around here locally and they sure come in handy for that!  I can attest to the fact that they get pretty beat up even on easy trails like the RubiconConfused, so just be aware of that.  They aren’t very durable when it comes to bumping a rock here or there.  Wider tires and wheels help, but there’s always that one rock....

I would not install them simply on the merit of saving wear and tear on driveline components, unless you are flat-towing for long distances.  I agree that you would probably be hard pressed to notice any fuel mileage saving either.  No more than we drive our little jeeps each year, I think the driving flanges are just fine.
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 9:13am
I had Dualmatics 0n my first Jeep and I never banged them. Both of my Jeeps have Warn hubs and I have never banged them. Could be the driver?
uncamonkey
JeeperJim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeeperJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2018 at 5:12pm
Hey there jeeper50, what kind of axles are you running?
cj2ajim here on the forum
or
cj2ajim@gmail.com
JeeperJim
cj2ajim@gmail.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12